WoST- World of Soap Themes

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I first found WoST before it moved to it's own domain name. I distinctly remember the Family Ties font used all over the site. It really changed a lot over the years, now that I think about it, and really only the message board change was unfavorable, IMO.

The WoST ep that I would most like to see was the 1982 AMC where Jake ("Joey") accidentally shot Kate. In those days it took approximately three hours to watch a 5-minute segment.

He had these two unaired cuts of the old AMC theme, one which was proposed for a new version of the opening that would feature character headshots that never came to fruition.

And those cheesy New Christy Minstrels versions of the themes with lyrics lol I still remember all of them, including that HORRIBLE lyricized Ryan's Hope theme!

• Members

It's funny after all these years that site is still remembered! I was an active member known as dustin35713 until Brian pulled the plug(and I don't blame him, the madness finally went on long enough!) But I absolutely loved, loved that forum and everyone for the most part in it. In spite of the opposition to making it a pay site, I felt the site got a whole lot better and discussion in the forums shifted from the day to day soap topics to people discussing who made the better Cecile on AW and why they didn't like Louise or Clarice!

I remember waiting on dial-up in 2003 and using Real Player to load those videos, even to then end. The boards closed in 2007 and the site was up until summer 2009. My favorite thing was Brian Puckett, the webmaster was such an excellent interviewer. The interviews with Jada Rowland and Don Hastings were fantastic. The interview with Harding Lemay was wonderful and is probably the only Lemay interview I've heard or read that didn't even rehash the usual Courtney/Reinholt drama, instead Brian took it in a different direction.

So far this is the closest board I've seen come close to that, and oddly enough I discovered when SON and WOST were having a board war over the madness of a one time Days writer [s.W.S.N.B.N.]. Or should I say Boof, [!@#$%^&*] lol.

• Members

There were a couple of episodes featuring "bitchy Rachel", as you put it. VW was in the role. I'm pretty sure all of those episodes are in AWHP Eddie's collection.

It really was a thrill when you'd enter the url and see a fresh crop of uploads. WoST is where I saw the primetime hour-long premiere of Capitol for the first time.

Good Lord, that Sean-Paul drama was priceless. He was also in a secret relationship with Jeff Branson and used to have tea with Beverlee McKinsey.

• Members

Good heavens there was so much ATWT I've never seen before until I found WOST. Same with GL, I have fond memories of watching a 1953 episode and a 1963 episode. I remember the first episode of SFT as well! I recall he did the first full week of B&B, and did the final full weeks of Edge and SFT. Same with the 2nd 90 minuted episode of AW.

Other jewels I recall were Jeff and Penny's wedding on ATWT, the ATWT Kennedy assassination episode, and the aftermath of Paul Stewart's death and Dan's accident, Roger and Rita in the hall or mirrors on GL, Tom and Marie going at over her relationships on Days, Jennifer Brooks discovering she had breast cancer on Y&R, and of course SFT's final CBS episode with a boat explosion involving SFT's own forgotten supercouple Travis and Liza.

• Members

"SP" kept in touch with a few people via email for about a year after WoST imploded, myself included. He kept the charade going about being Todd Strasser and writing for OLTL during the writer's strike. Then, I saw that Jeff Branson was going to be appearing in a staged reading of a play called "The Short Bus" at a GLBT center in Manhattan. I was a big Branson fan so I decided get a ticket and go to NYC to see it. And I shared the news via email with SP. And that was the last any of us in that circle heard from SP. He promptly disappeared. I guess me getting so close to Branson may have frightened whoever SP was anyway. I did go up to NYC and "The Short Bus" was pretty amazing. Alas, Branson didn't show up. I was bummed.

• Members

I remember one troublemaker that got banned. Can't remember his username but I believe he posted here for awhile too and was just as combative. I remember some heated discussion about Rosie O'Donnell during her View days that I didn't read but I think it was political. Same political drama a few years before that when Brian made a Family Ties banner (haha, I like that) that included a quote along the lines of, "Support our president. Support our troops." This of course was during the George W era, so you can imagine what debate that would spark!

I have to do a lil peeking around my files but I do know I kept those last week's episodes of The Edge of Night. A lot of episodes that were on WoST are now on YouTube. It happens. I find some of my old clips I had uploaded to Celebrating the Soaps are now up on YouTube by other peeps.

Eric, I'm in agreement with you at what a wonderful thing WoST was to stumble upon back when there was no way to see old school soap themes and clips. For years, I only knew "Hold on to Love" as GL's theme.

• Members

Love, love, LOVED WoST. I miss it to this day. I saved a bunch of stuff before the site went down, but then I had a MAJOR computer crash and lost nearly all of it. I'm still pissed that I lost that audio only recording of the final episode of Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

Archived