"When is a Rape Not a Rape" by Carolyn Hinsey

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In order to save time, allow me to C&P my standard response to all things Carolyn Hinsey:

People like her, and the other people who get behind her in the soap press, are the reason these shows are as bad as they are. Because there are people who are more than willing to perpetuate this viewpoint for the sake of access or for getting more of the stories or actors they enjoy. Whether it's sex or race or rape or gay [!@#$%^&*] or whatever else, they all fall in line because "it's a soap!"

I have a lot of patience for what soaps can do that other shows can't or won't - some of the rules are different. But that doesn't mean just blithely excusing misogyny or phobia or rape (or alleged gropers behind the scenes IRL, Daytime Confidential) - or just lousy writing - in 2014. When that line has to become the daily line to get through a week of your show, that's a problem we didn't have in 1994 or 1984.

• Members

Sami is a rapist. Nobody argues that.

However she is also a multi time rape victim in three very different situations. There is the widely accepted rape committed by Alan where he forced her as she fought against him. There is the EJ issue - where he raped her through gaining her consent by using coercion and implied threat/intimidation of her life and the lives of others. The fact that people argue if this was rape or not is insane to me because it basically Coe,a down to she wasn't screaming and fighting him off. It was rape. Both characters call it as such. It was addressed as such on screen. I get that it isn't black and white, but it was rape. Then there is Rafe2 and I guess that would be more sexual trauma than rape but they glossed over the fact that she was tricked into having sex with a man hired to have surgery and replace her husband to terrorize her.

To answer the question posted, rape is not rape when there is no force, coercion drugging of any kind.

I will say that ejami fans trying to say his cheating on her with Abby is the worst thing he's ever done to her are insane. His raping her isn't even the worst thing he's ever done to her tho.

• Members

Hers is one of the dumbest hypotheses I have ever read. If we saw it happen, it happened. They can twist and squirm around with the facts all they want, just as some people do with real life events of the past. But real life doesn't always have the proof on videotape as we do with soaps. Only way out of it is to make it a dream. So retcon all you want, but the audience never forgets so just suck it up and take your licks when we call you on your bullshit.

• Members
No that's bull. Why was EJ the ONLY one that could have saved Lucas? Why not the police? Its completely stupid that she's driving around town saying EJ is the ONLY person that could possible get back to the cabin to save Lucas, when she could have received helped elsewhere. There were tons of cops on the road that night bc of the roadblocks. EJ was under NO obligation to do a damn thing for Sami or Lucas. He was in his own trouble. Sami is the one that put the deal on the table and went through with it when EJ told her what he wanted in return. She was not forced!

• Members

But even if she "chooose" to sleep with EJ she did so because at that moment she thought it was the only choice she had hence not a choice at all.

In a culture that scream Rape when two intoxicated adults do the whoopee and regret it later on i find it baffling that based on the premises of a woman sleeping with someone NOT from her own will but because the life of someone she loves is threatened it is not refered as a rape.

Luke and Laura started because he forced himself on her and it took years for the show to adress it but, and thats one of the few things i can give Guza credit for, he didnt beat around the bush and adressed it.

I remember when i was posting on the Days board on SOC and i was banned for even asking the question if EJ raped Sammi. I wasnt watching around the time it played out but any transcripts suggested that he did.

EJ took advantage of a situation to make a woman do something she wouldnt do otherwise. Pretty much the definition of rape.

Where I live there was a case about a child singer who grew up being molested by her agent for years and when she found herself without any job offers she turned to her old manager hoping to get work. She was by then well into her 30ies and he blackmailed her into having sex with him in exchange of some work. She could have logically found another way to jumpstart her career but at this point that woman was so dammaged that she thought it was her only way. Hence she was raped even if she allegedly gave her consent.

I compare the two situation and i pretty much reach the same conclusion it was rape even if she didnt implicitely said NO.

• Members
Again, WHY did she feel EJ was the only one that could save Lucas? He was NOT her only option that night. She could have went to any number of cops with her predicament. She chose to make a deal with EJ, exchanging sex for a service. He didn't force or threaten to kill her if she didn't comply. He would have simply left her and went about her business. In that event, she should have went to the cops who were patrolling the roads that night and told them about Lucas. The scenario with how things were laid out was ridiculous.

• Members

Thats the part of the scenario that requires the ITS a soap response.

She did for the same reason any soap doctor with a bone against a potential patient will inevitably be "the only possible surgeon available to save said life".

But it doesnt change the premise that as written Sami felt she had no other choice or that any other choice was taken out of her hands.

Answer this: if sammi THOUGHT there was another way would she have gone through with it?

As i said I wasnt watching back then so i will rely on the people on this board's words but to me it indicates that ej manipulated a situation to make a woman do something she didnt wanna do. And that thing was sex. So it fits the definition of rape IMHO.

Maybe not in the legal sense of the word but in the moral sense at least.

• Members

Rape is not rape when the writers/show decide that they like the actor so much, they are willing to 'bend' things. Trust me, if "Nevins" - HIV+ character who raped Margo, has suddenly been viewed as a potential leading man, he would've been 'misdiagnosed' and 'misunderstood.' It's disgusting. Rape is a horrible plot device - it is completely unnecessary for soaps. I stopped watching AMC when Cambias raped Bianca and then used it as a pivot to give the gay character a child. These stories really do nothing to help a show.

Archived