Y&R: June 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

See I've said it before and I'll say it again--the problem was no Lynn Marie Latham and the problem is not Jean and Shelley now, the problem is that with Y&R they took a show that had a strong identity and let go everybody who understood that vision. That was NEVER going to work, period. They tried to play the Bell card by bringing in Maria Arena Bell, but she didn't know the show either or have strong enough writing credits to be HW of ANY show. Maybe she could've worked just as Executive Producer, but not as HW. Hell, she didn't even bring in Bell people to write with her.

If you look at the period where Lynn Latham wrote with Kay Alden and Jack Smith, the show was GOOD. If you look at her various story ideas once she fired everybody, she did have several good ideas, but the execution was terrible. She was trying to write and pace a 22 episode primetime show, not a five-days-a-week soap opera. Had they kept Ed Scott as EP and all three writers as HW then I think the potential was there to modernize Y&R, but keep true to the vision and style the show needed. .

Now with Jean and Shelley (with JFP as EP) you have four people (including the third HW Tracy Thomson) in charge who have absolutely no history with Y&R and who likely weren't even fans of the show. I won't lie, I do find the show watchable and mostly inoffensive these days, but they are writing typical generic soap. The show has ABSOLUTELY NO VISION and is completely forgettable in every way. The casting is wrong, the music is wrong and lacks momentum, the set design and lighting are awful. Even the Prospect Park shows knew the importance of having a vision for the show. Since Y&R lacks that, it can never truly be great.

At this point I feel this team is safe and that we need to just give up on hoping anything improves beyond what we have now. BUT if they want to improve things you either need a Bell-trained Co-HW or an EP from the Bell legacy. I'm not sure if they could get David Shaughnessy back, but if not I'd have Brad Bell give up one of his Producers. B&B is the gold standard for soap production and he is in good enough shape to bring somebody new in and train them so B&B would be fine.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see the writers have finally decided to use Lane ' s twins instead of having them be silly, loud, annoying brats. Good! That little girl that plays Maddie is cute and capable.

I like that Sharon is helping Mariah. She needs something besides stupid Nick and keeping him to focus on. Now that Mariah will be working at Nick's dingy club, who wants to take bets on how many people will ooh and aah over how much she looks like Cassie?

the things that MiM and KSJ have said in their interviews about this pairing does not line up with what is presented onscreen. I thought this was supposed to be something special. Neil's next great pairing. I don't see how when it has about as much depth as a mud puddle and every move they make is in response to either Devon or Lily.

• Members

Thoughts on the past two days of Y&R:

1. I'm sick of Lily. Please kill this insufferable b*tch. I really want her cancer to return and finish her ass off because I hate her as of late. I hated her when she was dull, and I hate her when she's being righteous. Only time I ever enjoyed this character was during Davetta Sherwood's era because she acted like Dru/Malcolm's child and not some whiny, air headed twat.

2. I could care less about this Ian story. While they are trying to build it into some great umbrella story, which it isn't, the story is more about Avery and Dylan than it is about Nikki or even Paul, who should be all over this story as he was in the original cult story as well. Hell, Summer has more investment in this story than Nikki does. I seriously wish though that the writers would've had Ian woo Summer and Fen into joining the cult and went from there. The story was already written for them practically. All they had to do was fill in a few blanks and sit back and enjoy. But I see that they'd rather make Betty Crocker and Dullan work and they never will. Not in this pairing and not in this story.

3. Dare I say it but as a Shick fan, I think I am gonna finally turn in my card for this pairing. I'm finally starting to notice that like Shadam, that this pairing hinders Sharon rather than does her justice. After the Phyllis/Summer reveal comes out, I'm hoping that Sharon moves FAR away from the Newman clan (with the exception of her kids). It's time for Sharon to find love elsewhere.

4. Watching Jill bitch, moan, then cower to Colin kills me. This isn't the Jill I'm used to. I'm use to Jill being in control or scheming for what she wants. Not wallowing for a damn fortune or a con artist. Hell, if Jill is a child of Neil Fenmore, why is she whining about money? Doesn't she have a stake in the company? Just give Jill her f*cking fortune already and move on.

5. Victoria ... *sighs* Please kill her off as well. I'm over her. Billy. Stitch. Chelsea. I'm sick of them all, and I'm sick of babies being used to drive story on this show with this family (the Newmans) every six months to a year.

The only good story that is captivating me is the Neil/Hilary/Devon story. Sadly, the writers would rather focus heavily on Ian or that rancid, dark, bottomless pit they'd call Victoria's vagina.

Basically, I'm watching the show by a thread and that's only because it's habit. Hell, most days, the show is watching me as I nap during it. I'd really wish that these "writers" (and I use that term loosely), would get off their asses and do what they are paid to do, which is write good stories. It's not that hard to do some freaking research on the show's history and do their best to recapture it.

Y&R (and soaps in general) worked best when the characters had something to aspire to such as careers. No one freaking works anymore. They either loiter the GCAC or Crimson Lights with no purpose. Why aren't we seeing Jack & Victor vie for Chelsea's line instead? Or see Jill and Lauren dispute over whether or not Chelsea's line fits into Fenmore's vision? Or get Lily back into designing and have her feud with Chelsea? How about a Jabot v. Newman story over the two designers (Lily/Chelsea)? Everyone would benefit from Summer and Sharon (both models) to business heads (Victor, Victoria, Jack, Neil, Jill).

And why not have Avery, Leslie, Christine, & Michael run for the DA's spot and have it get messy. Friendships ruined. Mud slung. Pasts dug up. An affair to occur between Michael and one of the ladies, which is used as leverage by another candidate. With midterms coming around the corner, a hot, sexy yet savvy election story can do wonders. Look at House of Cards. Scandal. Homeland. The Good Wife. Suits. All sexy, smart shows dealing with the law/government. Watch them. Study them. Emulate them.

Aaron Sorkin says it best, "Good writers borrow from other writers. Great writers steal from them outright."

Rant over.

• Members

Well one of the problems and reason Y&R isn't working is because of your favorite writer, Jean Passanantate. She needs to go or take a lesser role. She should NEVER be in a head-writing position after single-handedly being responsible for two jewels (ATWT & AW) in their final states and fumbling the ball over and over. She's doing it yet again with Y&R.

• Members

What isn't working: JP and SA has co-heads; JFP as EP. They have no history with the show and little affection for it, since Y&R kicked the butts of all the shows they were involved with over their less than stellar careers. They really are the problem. JFP carries too much negative baggage as as EP to be successful; Jean's stints in the head and co-head writing positions through the years have been marginally (I'm being generous) successful; SA—just blah (maybe she's okay as an outline writer, but she doesn't need to be heading the writing team of this once amazing soap). I doubt Sony or CBS would give JEF or NMS a shot at the top spot. They're Bill Bell and Kay Alden trained. It's pretty obvious that the Bell writers have been marginalized over the years, which explains why most of them are at B&B now. Y&R is now a generic soap. There's very little of its old identity left. JFP has stripped it of its iconic music, lighting, directing and sets (mostly). The writing is plodding and lackluster. Miss a day or a week, who cares? The ratings, especially in certain demos, are starting to illustrate the problem. The show needs an overall desperately, but I doubt it will get it.

• Members

If Devon & Hilary finally get on the same page. CKLily is going to be more of a problem. & they aren't going to allow Hilary to respond back. Just to prove to us, CKLily is strong like Dru & Malcolm daughter should be. So, stop asking for a recast of Lily or to bring back Victoria Rowell.

Even though I'm not watching, I see clips of Devon & Hilary. I do like them.

• Members

I know what you want, but I got a feeling that people still complaining about CKLily. So to shut them up they show how strong she is by her mouthing off at Hilary. Just to prove a point is she Dru daughter when need to be.

They had plenty of times to kill her off but she's the only black character that are allow to mingle with the other characters.

Archived