June 9, 201412 yr Member See I've said it before and I'll say it again--the problem was no Lynn Marie Latham and the problem is not Jean and Shelley now, the problem is that with Y&R they took a show that had a strong identity and let go everybody who understood that vision. That was NEVER going to work, period. They tried to play the Bell card by bringing in Maria Arena Bell, but she didn't know the show either or have strong enough writing credits to be HW of ANY show. Maybe she could've worked just as Executive Producer, but not as HW. Hell, she didn't even bring in Bell people to write with her. If you look at the period where Lynn Latham wrote with Kay Alden and Jack Smith, the show was GOOD. If you look at her various story ideas once she fired everybody, she did have several good ideas, but the execution was terrible. She was trying to write and pace a 22 episode primetime show, not a five-days-a-week soap opera. Had they kept Ed Scott as EP and all three writers as HW then I think the potential was there to modernize Y&R, but keep true to the vision and style the show needed. . Now with Jean and Shelley (with JFP as EP) you have four people (including the third HW Tracy Thomson) in charge who have absolutely no history with Y&R and who likely weren't even fans of the show. I won't lie, I do find the show watchable and mostly inoffensive these days, but they are writing typical generic soap. The show has ABSOLUTELY NO VISION and is completely forgettable in every way. The casting is wrong, the music is wrong and lacks momentum, the set design and lighting are awful. Even the Prospect Park shows knew the importance of having a vision for the show. Since Y&R lacks that, it can never truly be great. At this point I feel this team is safe and that we need to just give up on hoping anything improves beyond what we have now. BUT if they want to improve things you either need a Bell-trained Co-HW or an EP from the Bell legacy. I'm not sure if they could get David Shaughnessy back, but if not I'd have Brad Bell give up one of his Producers. B&B is the gold standard for soap production and he is in good enough shape to bring somebody new in and train them so B&B would be fine. Bravo! This. A million times this. Well said and IMO spot on.
June 9, 201412 yr Member So Avery supposedly killed Justin's mother? Chile, this show keeps getting sh*ttier and sh*ttier by the day.
June 9, 201412 yr Member So Avery supposedly killed Justin's mother? Chile, this show keeps getting sh*ttier and sh*ttier by the day. I was going to say WTF with today's show?? It was just awful.
June 9, 201412 yr Member It was. I could care less about Justin, his mother, or what Avery did in the past. But that's the main reason with soaps nowadays. They plant these newbies on the canvas and expect the audience to care for them immediately. I don't. Hell, I still don't care for Avery and she's been on the show almost four years.
June 9, 201412 yr Member So is Justin/Austin on his way to the Pokey now? I doubt it. This show will whitewash it in an attempt to keep him for Summer. Avery will be guilted into getting the charges pressed dropped, he'll feel the wrath of Nick for awhile, and then he'll be accepted into Genoa City, thus becoming just as self-righteous as the rest. I miss the days when a young male star just came on the show as an oversexed stud with intentions of deflowering the young ingenue. Nowadays, they all have to come on the canvas as deranged psychos that end up getting reprieves for their heinous acts.
June 9, 201412 yr Member Considering the latest ratings, it will be interesting who they will put the blame on: the writers or some of the characters feautured? The "fantastic" Amelia has been front and center for weeks, so...
June 9, 201412 yr Member I doubt it. This show will whitewash it in an attempt to keep him for Summer. Avery will be guilted into getting the charges pressed dropped, he'll feel the wrath of Nick for awhile, and then he'll be accepted into Genoa City, thus becoming just as self-righteous as the rest. I miss the days when a young male star just came on the show as an oversexed stud with intentions of deflowering the young ingenue. Nowadays, they all have to come on the canvas as deranged psychos that end up getting reprieves for their heinous acts. #YR has been reforming it's villains for over 20 years now. The antihero(-ione) is very popular too. Every show, daytime, primerime, and big screen, seems to be led by a jack ass that I find it hard to like. Edited June 9, 201412 yr by ajsp35801
June 9, 201412 yr Member Considering the latest ratings, it will be interesting who they will put the blame on: the writers or some of the characters feautured? The "fantastic" Amelia has been front and center for weeks, so... It's going to be characters for sure this go round.
June 9, 201412 yr Member #YR has been reforming it's villains for over 20 years now. The antihero(-ione) is very popular too. Every show, daytime, primerime, and big screen, seems to be led by a jack ass that I find it hard to like. I know that and I couldn't care less about anyone one of them. I hate Kevin. I hate Michael. I hate Phyllis. I hate Victor. The show is too top heavy with antiheroes (-iones). Worthless ones at that. We don't need another.
June 9, 201412 yr Member It was. I could care less about Justin, his mother, or what Avery did in the past. But that's the main reason with soaps nowadays. They plant these newbies on the canvas and expect the audience to care for them immediately. I don't. Hell, I still don't care for Avery and she's been on the show almost four years. Exactly
June 10, 201412 yr Member I doubt it. This show will whitewash it in an attempt to keep him for Summer. Avery will be guilted into getting the charges pressed dropped, he'll feel the wrath of Nick for awhile, and then he'll be accepted into Genoa City, thus becoming just as self-righteous as the rest. That's why I was hoping he was somehow being manipulated by Ian. Everyone on the canvas would understand how Austin could fall under Ian's influence and it would make Austin a victim moreso than a villian. And frankly, now that Ian isn't responsible, I'm trying to figure out what his purpose is. Just to slither around and hint about his secret that we've all figured out already. Considering the latest ratings, it will be interesting who they will put the blame on: the writers or some of the characters feautured? The "fantastic" Amelia has been front and center for weeks, so... David Tom. It's all his fault. PS: I don't like Cassie/Mariah. I don't think the actress is attractive and I don't think she's very good. There! I said it! It's a real weight off my shoulders. Edited June 10, 201412 yr by rhinohide
June 10, 201412 yr Member That's why I was hoping he was somehow being manipulated by Ian. Everyone on the canvas would understand how Austin could fall under Ian's influence and it would make Austin a victim moreso than a villian. And frankly, now that Ian isn't responsible, I'm trying to figure out what his purpose is. Just to slither around and hint about his secret that we've all figured out already. David Tom. It's all his fault. PS: I don't like Cassie/Mariah. I don't think the actress is attractive and I don't think she's very good. There! I said it! It's a real weight off my shoulders. I think CG is very pretty and has unconventional attractiveness. She isnt blond and she isn't skinny. Because of it she stands out to me. I have seen enough skinny generic blondes on my TV to last a lifetime. As for it being DT'S fault, I just know that's why he was fired. Especially since the excuse that he wasnt JFPs hire can also be used. Wonder who it will be next?
June 10, 201412 yr Member I think CG is very pretty and has unconventional attractiveness. She isnt blond and she isn't skinny. Because of it she stands out to me. I have seen enough skinny generic blondes on my TV to last a lifetime. As for it being DT'S fault, I just know that's why he was fired. Especially since the excuse that he wasnt JFPs hire can also be used. Wonder who it will be next? I was being sarcastic about DT. If his firing is indication of who might be next, I would guess CG might follow. I'm not saying CG is ugly. And you well know I don't go for the traditional stick figures. I guess since I was not a regular viewer once Sharon showed up, I just don't have any emotional connection with the actress who played Cassie. I remember the story, but I was never invested in that part of the canvas until just recently. So she really hasn't added anything to the show for me, and I don't really care for the new character, and I don't always understand what CG is going for. I see very little vulnerability and there should be more IMO.
June 10, 201412 yr Member I think CG is very pretty and has unconventional attractiveness. She isnt blond and she isn't skinny. Because of it she stands out to me. I have seen enough skinny generic blondes on my TV to last a lifetime. As for it being DT'S fault, I just know that's why he was fired. Especially since the excuse that he wasnt JFPs hire can also be used. Wonder who it will be next? I agree with rhino, I don't find CG attractive at all, but I do like that she has meat on her bones. She has a terrific figure, but its ridiculous that Tyler would have been involved with her. I don't buy it. So far, Tyler's fine ass is a loser when it comes to picking chicks. Plain Jane totally out of his league and a high maintenance air head? RW should have picked up where Shemar left off, but that just aint happening.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.