B&B - June 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm super behind so I haven't seen Dubai yet, but what is amazing is not just Dubai, but the fact that this show is not even at a primetime level, but an international level. Like a primetime show they regularly go on location shoots that look GOOD. I don't know what they're doing thats different from the other soaps, but theirs look just as crisp and professional as their interior shots. Everything looks modern and up to date and classy. Then on top of their regular California location shoots we get like 2-3 international trips a year.

Somebody needs to explain to me why B&B isn't the golden standard for soaps, especially for Y&R. This show gets little promo compared to the rest and it's ratings are through the roof and it's just killing it in so many ways. Yes they could utilize the cast more, but I wouldn't sleep on Brad Bell. I feel in the modern soap age he's the true soap genius, not Frank Valentini or Ron Carlivati's sloppy asses.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WORD to all of it.

And we always criticize Brad for his sloppy seconds writing and the fact that he cannot concentrate on more than one story these days but the current UAE shoot is an umbrella story way bigger than what a certain poster keeps spamming the Y&R threats bragging about such stories in Genoa City... Primarily those episodes are about Bill/Brooke/Ridge/Katie. But they are also about Quinn, the place of the Fullers at FC, Hope's vagina etc. It is a very limited group of characters and I definitely would not mind to see someone else feautured (or a seperate B story - why THorne & Taylor gone again, pls?) but this is a true umbrella story in every meaning of the word and May/June has been VERY solid so far.

• Members

I'm catching up on last week, and Ridge falling out of the helicopter was very well done.

The show also LOOKS great, visually. Y&R now looks cheap and too bright, and Days has forever been too bright, and GH, well ... sigh. That show is beyond a hot mess.

I agree that B&B deserves more kudos than it gets. It's not perfect, and Brad's ADD storytelling annoys me sometimes, but overall, it really should be the standard and Y&R could stand to recognize what they're missing.

I also think it helps the show is a half hour, which maybe leads to better production values. But they just run a good show. They really do. Probably the best soap on the air and the others could learn a lesson or two.

And despite a lot of cast turnover, over the years, it still FEELS like B&B at it's core.

• Members

It does. And while I HATE Rena Sofer for indirectly pushing La Tylo out of the door, Quin and Wyatt are the best thing to hapen to this show since the mid 90s... I still think they should drop Donna for good in a New York Minute and Katie is only viable due to Heather Tom, but the rest of the cast is working and and asset to the show. There is really little to no dead weight n this show anymore. And this is testament NO other soap can claim. Bring Taylor back full time and I'd be a happy camper.

• Members

I keep waiting for something to draw me back to the BnB and haven't found it yet. The location shoot wasn't enough (and from the ratings it didn't draw any other fans back in) No matter how visually stunning the location shoot may have been - I don't feel any sense of loss for having missed it. The show's problems are the same. Hope and Wyatt along with Katie and Ridge were hitting it out of the park, the show was routinely trending on twitter the fans were so excited, critical praise was high, fans were sticking around. Both couples were getting credit for bringing romance back to daytime. Someone in the writers room decided to ruin both couples.

The truly evil characters are never really punished on this show. In the old days it was Stephanie and her minion/button pusher, Taylor (the only daytime dastardly duo that used and were used by one another). They were the only dastardly daytime duo that used and were used by one another). Taylor didn't twirl her moustache as Stephanie did, but she was foul none the less. Stephanie ultimately became Taylor - useless and a repetitive bore. Bill has replaced them both. He hurts others, demeans them, ,judges them, attacks them in any way he knows how, and then faults his victims for his own actions.

Bill is just foul in my book. His relationship with Brooke was the beginning of the end for her. I think she's lost her heroine status - one step too far, and now she's as worthy of the backburner as he is. No matter what Quinn did, or what Ridge has done, Ridge would be with his family, now, had Bill not given the instruction to dump Ridge in the ocean. Ultimately, Bill and his henchman, Justin, are at fault. Quinn is blamed? Not getting that writers.

For me YnR and BnB are flip sides of the same coin. I think they've both garnered ratings on the sheer strength of fans' viewing habits, but not because they're better soaps than DAYS or GH, most especially GH - at least, not right now.

• Members
She's f--ked two brothers

Carter, and Maya are pretty much dead weight. They add NO value to the show or canvas. I would have said the same about Oliver till he got with Aly but there's potential there, which they unfortunately aren't utilizing so he may end up in that category again

• Members

I think Oliver, Carter and Maya are all valuable characters IF given the chance. Carter's looks and charisma should've gotten him a proper love story by now. I would put him with Katie. I also am shocked they haven't tried to do another Morgan/Sheila proper villain or full on schemer like Amber. Hell, just bring AMBER back while you're at it. I always have loved her on B&B.

• Members
well that can basically be said about any useless character...lol. IA on your last point. I think Quinn is the closest to Morgan type villain that we are getting but they've tamed her in recent months. IA on bringing Amber back (and ratchet Tawny). Id kill off Marcus off screen and bring Amber back to use that to worm her way back into the Forresters (since her baby is one via adoption). She could also use Rosie to manipulate Donna and the rest of the Logans into backing her (although Brooke would hate that). THERE is potential here. Maybe have her pair up with Deacon again to cause some ruckus, especially if that pits her against Quinn. Man I need to stop writing bc I will only disappoint myself since none of this will happen

• Members

LOL I know you can say that about any useless character, but I think those three have already proven their potential. I Oliver/Hope were great. Hell, when Ridge dumped Brooke, why not throw her with Oliver at least for some rebound sex? Would've been hilarious. And Maya and Rick were far more watchable than Caroline and Rick who put me to sleep. At the very least that storyline was strong enough to be an ongoing triangle. Since they took Maya out of his orbit Rick has been dull as dishwater.

• Members

I hated Maya and thought Caroline was the more interesting character. To be fair Rick and Caroline do have potential but their story was brought to an abrupt halt only bc LG got pregnant. If she hadn't Caroline would likely still be scheming with she and Rick being more relevant. I don't get why they didn't just wrote it in as we couldn't hVe months of ongoing story right now with that but typical Brad. He does get bored easily when not dealing with Logan vaginas

Archived