ATWT actor reveals reasons why he waited to come out

• Members

I can understand why he would hold off on coming out while he was on ATWT for the reason that he wanted the audience's attention to be on the show and on his storyline - and that disclosing his own sexuality would have taken the attention away from that. I think it definitely would have, so I think he made the right call.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you're right, if that's worth anything. And I'm cynical enough to think his not coming out while on ATWT was all about The Suits not wanting it confirmed and risking overshadowing the show. Not Van. I think the show walked right up to the line using the topic to try and create buzz, but sure as hell didn't want to deal with the shitstorm if the advertisers bolted over it.

Now? No one GAS anymore. Especially about an actor on an underfunded webseries.

• Members

I feel bad for him. I mean he isn't that bad of an actor as some on here say. He did some good work in his coming out scenes with Martha B. and his scenes with Kevin. The story with Kevin could have turned out so much better had it been written by a competent writer. He needs to maybe try comedy...maybe on primetime..and yes as a gay character...I've seem MUCH worse actors still on soaps. Yes I am talking about you Mr. Nathan...lol..and you too Mr. Bruce Jenner...to name just a few.

• Members

I think he did excellent work when the writing was halfway decent (a rarity on ATWT at the time) and when he had a good co-star to play against. In scenes with the likes of Martha Byrne, Elizabeth Hubbard and Jon Hensley he always delivered. I also think he did best in more low-key scenes. He had a tendency to go over the top a bit in some scenes, like when Luke confronted Damian at the airport or with Colonel Mayer after his arrest.

• Members

Granted, Hansis was better in scenes with the vets; most young actors are. And it sure wasn't his call to constantly be islanded with the Z twins, etc. or be saddled as "the Great Gay Hope" before Noah had even appeared onscreen. But he didn't grow as a performer either, in those four years (or so) on the show. Don't kid yourself.

• Members

I think most everyone knew Van Hansis was "out." It's just that he didn't know that we did. And really, isn't that how it goes for some who come out publicly? "Guess what, y'all?" / "Dude. C'mon. We knew before you did."

• Members

THIS. On the matter of gay playing straight - Terry Lester was pretty convincing. It really comes down to embodying the character. Yes, CLB has become different in his portrayal of Michael during the past five years, but it doesn't matter. Considering Lauren/Michael have been married forever (in soap terms), the interaction with CLB/TB is great. It doesn't always have to be about sex.

• Members

Yes, but in this case I meant it even more literally. I honestly thought he was openly out during that whole time he was on ATWT. I suppose that's partly because I almost never read interviews with soap stars. I prefer not to pierce the veil, so to speak.

Oh absolutely. There are a ton of soap starts who play straight very well, imo. It's really a non issue. There are plenty of actors I wouldn't have known are gay if not for the internet. I honestly think the harshest critics in this regard are other gay men.

Archived