James Scott OUT at Days

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

laugh.png The last few months I've realized how funny you are. I don't know how I missed it all these years. Maybe it's just that the board has gotten smaller, so I notice individual posters more, and not just posts, idk.

• Members

I don't know that I care for them recasting. I do like James Scott but I'd say let EJ go and have Scott return as EJ when it calls for it.

I just don't see the point to EJ though (and frankly never have) so that's why I don't want a recast. There are more important characters that should be brought back and weaved back into the canvas.

His character never had a clear path and one minute would be a moustache twirling villain and in the next breath be a tortured soul and now he's pretty much a good guy.

And Sami and EJ as endgame (if they are, I don't know) just makes me sad.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

More and more I just think my time with soaps is just over. It really is something to say that some viewers just watch for certain characters and actors these days, and suffice to say James Scott was certaintly that actor for me with Days. Not to say I never enjoyed anything outside of him, but he was the major reason I watched Days over the last 7 years, easy. He's pretty much the only lead actor on Days who is worth watching and he has held that position well as a leading man over his duration. I have definitely enjoyed his work over the past decade. He's an amazingly talented individual who gave a hell of a lot to the show in terms of performance and story. He was pretty much the heartbeat of the show from 2007-2013, the single person who pushed everything forward for 6 years. Before the latest merry-go-round with Sami. I originally thought that it was sad that his character was minimized to only being about Sami over the past year or so, but now I see that it was necessary now that he is leaving. He was pretty much the chess master of Days and he will leave a gaping hole in the show in his absence.

I honestly don't know what Days is going to do without Sami and EJ being there to carry nearly 200 episodes worth of airtime.

I agree on this notion as he is now. 2014 EJ no longer serves a purpose without Sami. But this is really only a recent case, he was still a viable and fun character that could have been adaptable to any story on the canvas until 2013, when everything about the character became centralized around Sami. The show moved away from having EJ control pretty much all of Days major stories, to having him solely seconded to Sami's problems and issues. As to EJ's purpose I always felt it was clear from 2007 onward. He was a devious male lead who generated story for virtually everyone. In 2007 he was virtually in the same identical role Kristen was in her last go around. He was a clear antagonist who gave a major shot in the arm to every Salemite. His main contribution was to Sami though, he is perhaps the only man who truly loved Sami for exactly what she was -- which in itself is really quite remarkable, as she is probably the least lovable character in the history of the soap opera. Continuously unappreciated in love. I think that was a rather large part of his appeal to fans as well. Even outside of Sami, EJ was most certainly necessary this is something that I think people are depreciative of. Before Nick's heel faced turn, he was pretty much the only grey character Days had for years. He fed story to pretty much all of Salem and revitalized older characters and injected new blood to salem. He wasn't a boring guy on a white horse like so many guys casted on Days are. He was pretty much the only male lead on the show who was grey enough to be a villian and not be written into a corner because of it. He most certainly was able to break out of the constraints of being a carbon cut villian and a dull hero in shining armor.

In particular with the Sami storyline, I personally loved that he wasn't one of Sami's buffoons (i.e. another Austin, Lucas or Rafe). He was her karma and the only other person who really understood Sami, as she truly was, was Brandon and that crashed and burned. So again I feel he was needed for her. Sami needed someone like EJ for her, for her to truly understand what she does to the people she says she loves and those who are closest to her. For that reason I think EJ is her one true pairing, even if they don't end up together -- I find it hard to believe anyone else will ever be better suited for her, then him. There is no happily ever after for Sami without EJ, and perhaps even with him. Sami is just that kind of self destructive character.

Anyways, I'll miss James Scott performance as EJ DiMera. A true star among Days.

• Members

Super-unpopular opinion: Will not miss James. At all. He never did one thing for me in terms of looks or acting. Good riddance.

I am so sad to find out we could have been free of EJ years ago if not for the EP making special actor accommodations.

I only wish that this happened before the team at Days marginalized and antagonized so many popular vets so that Days could become the EJ/Sami show.

And I worry about any more screentime going to their other Mary Sue, Daniel.

• Members

Shackling EJ to Sami was the character's undoing! The EJ/Sami show turned many fans off. Killing Nicole's baby to revisit Ejami devastated a considerable amount of the audience. Sami and EJ might have worked better as adversaries!

A show doesn't need anyone who picks and chooses who they work with. James' attachment to Sweeney is just ridiculous!

• Members

Agreed. Instead of rehabbing EJ just a bit, they completely destroyed Sami to make the wretched EJ pairing "work," which didn't happen anyway. Sami may have been defanged with Rafe, but she was utterly unrecognizable and destroyed every time she was with her rapist, the pig who KEPT hurting her and her family time and time again, even accusing Kristen's rape victim of lying to protect her.

Archived