GH: Casting Michelle Stafford

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We could've said that about Kathleen Gati six months ago too.

I used to believe Laura Wright could weather anything, I still do. She is a great team player but also a very smart operator. But this show is not any kind of unrecognizable GH; I mean, they're frontloading these divas by the wheelcart. Something will have to give.

• Members

Since this has been rumored for months, I'm pretty sure the GH gang knows what they are getting in MS. If they believed she would somehow be disruptive to the show, I really doubt this would be going forward. Plus, like Ava, Nina is a character that can easily be written out if its not working or expanded. It's not really that big of a deal.

• Members

I agree. Something's gotta give. There's no place on THIS GH for Carly/LW. She is not needed and the character was not created by FrankenRon. LW is still hugely popular, but Carly fans are tuning in to see LW, certainly not Carly because she hasn't been given anything to do in over 2 years. Her chem with Roger is all that Carly has, and he can't be bothered to work a full schedule. I suspect that will change now since no one outside of GH has given him the time of day.

I'd like for Jax to come and get Carly. I'd be ok.

• Members

I'll say right now, I do not believe they will cut the character of Carly, or LW for that matter. But I fear she may be quite backburnered, or at least kept in a subservient role to bigger stories.

I didn't think they'd kill A.J. either (or bring back the OLTL actors in new roles) so my track record is, y'know, not great.

I do think LW had a lot to do in 2012 and 2013 - it wasn't great, but it was very heavy story. I think Franco is the millstone dragging her down now, plus the advent of a series of much bigger female stars and BTS favorites as Ron and Frank became enamored of having it all, all at once.

• Members

I agree. Something's gotta give. There's no place on THIS GH for Carly/LW. She is not needed and the character was not created by FrankenRon. LW is still hugely popular, but Carly fans are tuning in to see LW, certainly not Carly because she hasn't been given anything to do in over 2 years. Her chem with Roger is all that Carly has, and he can't be bothered to work a full schedule. I suspect that will change now since no one outside of GH has given him the time of day.

I'd like for Jax to come and get Carly. I'd be ok.

• Members

The main difference is as time has passed they've broadened Obrecht's role. I feel like Ava's has narrowed.

I'm not sure it's either/or - I could see both Ava and Carly leaving - but I feel like Stafford's hiring and the cost (and even with salary cuts it will be a big cost) signals that some of the women in her age range are on the way out.

• Members

Ah, but Ava is moving on to Sonny. That's the big league. In any other era you're right, this would be a signal that Ava is on her way down like Claudia before her - it's almost the same story. I'm not convinced Ron and Frank will allow Ava to be killed.

There are only two ways out for Ava from here - either she dies in a big murder mystery, or she perseveres as the character mutates again, into an Alex Olanov type from OLTL who skirts the law indefinitely. Ron and Frank prefer the Alex approach whenever they can get it, although of course Alex's ascent was much better handled on OLTL in the '90s than, say, Obrecht. OLTL also knew not to overplay Alex or make her go too hard on various big crimes all at once - Obrecht just keeps doing major [!@#$%^&*] and getting away with it over and over again. Who's to say Ava won't as well? If they can have all these stars they will.

I think they should keep Ava for as long as they can. The problem is the writing for these big divas, and now with Stafford there isn't enough real estate for both of them plus poor Carly.

• Members

She's only "poor Carly" if the character remains on canvas. Like Carl has said, LW has been a team player for years [she never gives less than 200% no matter how she feels about the material] - she's gotten nothing in return from FrankenRon. Her time might be up, but she could certainly be tossed out of better places.

• Members

It was only a matter of time before this happen.....

I feel bad for almost all the female leads on this show.....I feel like GH has already become "all star soap central" so of course roll out the red carpet for Stafford....rolleyes.gif

Archived