Prospect Park files Ch 11 Bankriptcy Protection

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't help but wonder what kind of reception PC would get now. Between the shorter arcs and the vampire stuff they were ahead of their time. The regular soap fans would still bitch but I think the show could build a new audience relatively quickly.

What makes me sad/angry about all of this is that between the Veronica Mars digital spinoff and the returns of Heroes and 24 we're seeing the networks more open to online content and short arc storytelling but I don't think the soaps will benefit from any of that now. Part of that is because of PP's incompetence, some of it is because of ABC's interference and some of it is because of the (remaining) audience's resistance to any change whatsoever.

• Members

ABC/Disney were in bed with Hulu and PP on this venture, at least initially. Part of me suspects ABC would rather simply be running the venture themselves.

Which I wouldn't mind, predicated on the terms I outlined in my prior part. I would've been happy with them just snapping up the existing shows that ran last year and continuing the productions. They're cheap and they're good.

• Members

ABC wants to put an end to this relationship, but PP will not surrender the rights to the shows even though they don't want to pay for the property. They are just as slick as ABC only they don't have the cash backing them. It's a game to everyone involved. One big fat pissing contest.

Whether you like it or not, ABC should get their property back so that this madness can come to a close [and I don't want to see any of those characters on GH]. The rest? Let the courts settle.

• Members

John, clear something up for me. How are the rights part of the lawsuit when PP only asked that the courts allow PP to not make payments until the matter was resolved? That is not part of the lawsuit.

If they file 11, and those debts are forgiven [i can't imagine ABC fighting this when they no longer want business dealings with PP for the time being], the rights go back to ABC. PP cannot have it both ways.

• Members

This is what all soaps are missing. Ron thinks this is boring.

At a panel about television over the weekend at the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Tex., Kathleen McCaffrey of HBO said that television entered people’s lives by letting go of procedurals about doctors and lawyers and telling stories about authentic, frequently flawed people. “So much of the conversation comes from strong serialized dramas about people’s lives and how they live them,” she said. .

This used to be what soaps were. Now they're just a poor imitation of outdated primetime series that are going by the wayside.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/business/media/fenced-in-by-televisions-excess-of-excellence.html?WT.mc_id=BU-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M348a-ROS-0314-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=241137

• Members

Not John but, the rights to the show are part of the lawsuit because 1. PP FILED A MOTION WITH THE COURT asking the court to freeze the contract - ie, stop the clock on when payments had to be made and asked that fees due ABC be waived. When you file a motion with the court as part of a lawsuit, the contents of that motion are part of the lawsuit. 2. The entire subject of the lawsuit is PP alleging breach of contract on ABC's part - the contract in question deals with who has rights to the show. The rights to the show are a crucial part of the lawsuit. The Hollywood Reporter says that ABC has been granted an extension to file a response to PP's lawsuit, and that there are rumors a cross complaint may be forthcoming - in other words, ABC may turn around and sue Prospect Park.

Given that PP only leased the rights to the show from ABC and didn't buy them outright, I think it's inevitable that ABC is eventually going to get the rights back. The question is when and under what circumstances - and we likely won't have an answer to that until the lawsuit between the two parties is resolved.

Archived