Prospect Park files Ch 11 Bankriptcy Protection

• Members

I stand corrected, but since when was who has the rights to the shows ever in question? That does not make sense. If PP is asking to freeze payments and waive arrears, how could their be a question about who has rights. Obviously PP would have rights but is asking that they not pay for those rights. If ABC were claiming current rights, why would PP have to ask the courts to do this?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's the compromise. Give ABC back their property, which they will eventually get anyhow, and there would be no past or future payments to ABC by PP. You can't use or hold someone's property and not pay them for it, and that is exactly what PP is trying to do here. I have no doubt in my mind that OLTL and AMC are permanently shelved, so why not give the shows back to ABC and relieve themselves of any future debt to ABC?

• Members

I think a lot of fans are confused as to who has the rights to the shows.

Based on the court documents and articles I've read, PP has the rights now, as per their contract, and PP has, I think, 18 months from the time they stopped filming to resume production, plus pay the licensing fees to ABC, or the rights revert back to ABC. PP has asked the court to freeze this timeline and halt payments to ABC until the breach of contract lawsuit is resolved. PP claims that ABC breached the contract and deliberately sabotaged PP's production of the shows, and thus PP should receive damages (I assume they're asking for both actual and punitive damages) and not have to pay the fees that are currently owed ($1.7 million according to the bankruptcy filing). That's a pretty basic summary of the situation as I understand it.

ABC knows they don't currently have the rights to the shows, nor are they claiming that they have them. ABC is the defendent in the lawsuit PP filed, and ABC will presumably argue that they did not sabotage PP or breach the contract. ABC asked the court to deny PP's motion to freeze the timeline, but the court declined to do so, saying that the motion could be considered. My understanding is that freezing the timeline on a contract under dispute in a breach of contract lawsuit is fairly standard practice.

• Members

Erika Slezak hasn't been paid ATAWLL?! I can't believe this. Ridiculous!

Looking bad, I'm not surprised Prospect Park ended up flopping like that. The whole thing was so mismanaged. I kinda knew they'd be in hot water like this.

And I couldn't agree more with those who don't want Cartini infecting their soaps again. Those two can't even do fanfiction.

• Members

We know Erika and at least a few other actors did not get paid. We know Robin Strasser asked for money she felt she was owed and was told no. If they had that 14 week guarantee and were not paid the balance, I wonder if the union has taken a look at that? Do they sue on behalf of members?

Archived