Black Actors at the Daytime Emmys

• Members

In the last 35 editions of the Daytime Emmy Awards (1979-2013), only 9 Black actors have won awards and 17 actors have nominations but no wins. Granted, daytime dramas have a much smaller number of actors compared to primetime television, films, and theater, but I was surprised at how low the number of Black winners is. Listed below in date order are all the Black nominees and winners at the Daytime Emmys:

1979: Al Freeman, Jr. (One Life to Live) - winner, Lead Actor

1983: Al Freeman, Jr. (One Life to Live) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Howard Rollins (Another World) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Darnell Williams (All My Children) - winner, Supporting Actor

1985: Darnell Williams (All My Children) - winner, Lead Actor

1986: Al Freeman, Jr. (One Life to Live) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Debbi Morgan (All My Children) - nominee, Younger Actress

1987: Al Freeman, Jr. (One Life to Live) - nominee, Supporting Actor

1988: Tichina Arnold (Ryan's Hope) - nominee, Younger Actress

1989: Debbi Morgan (All My Children) - winner, Supporting Actress

1990: Kristoff St. John (Generations) - nominee, Supporting Actor

1991: James Reynolds (Generations) - nominee, Lead Actor; William Christian (All My Children) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Kristoff St. John (Generations) - nominee, Younger Actor

1992: Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - winner, Younger Actor; Dondre Whitfield (All My Children) - nominee, Younger Actor

1993: Monti Sharp (Guiding Light) - winner, Younger Actor; Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor; Dondre Whitfield (All My Children) - nominee, Younger Actor

1994: Monti Sharp (Guiding Light) - nominee, Younger Actor; Dondre Whitfield (All My Children) - nominee, Younger Actor

1995: Keith Hamilton Cobb (All My Children) - nominee, Supporting Actor

1996: Rosalind Cash (General Hospital) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Victoria Rowell (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Tonya Lee Williams (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Kevin Mambo (Guiding Light) - winner, Younger Actor; Shemar Moore (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor

1997: Victoria Rowell (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Kevin Mambo (Guiding Light) - winner, Younger Actor; Shemar Moore (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor

1998: Victoria Rowell (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Bryant Jones (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor; Kevin Mambo (Guiding Light) - nominee, Younger Actor; Rhonda Ross Kendrick (Another World) - nominee, Younger Actress

1999: Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Jason George (Sunset Beach) - nominee, Younger Actor; Bryant Jones (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor; Sherri Saum (Sunset Beach) - nominee, Younger Actress

2000: Shemar Moore (The Young and the Restless) - winner, Supporting Actor; Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Tonya Lee Williams (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Bryant Jones (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor

2001: Paul Taylor (As the World Turns) - nominee, Younger Actor

2004: James Reynolds (Days of our Lives) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Christel Khalil (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actress

2006: Renee Elise Goldsberry (One Life to Live) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Bryton James (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor; Christel Khalil (The Young and Restless) - nominee, Younger Actress

2007: Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Renee Elise Goldsberry (One Life to Live) - nominee, Supporting Actress; Bryton James (The Young and the Restless) - winner, Younger Actor

2008: Kristoff St. John (The Young and the Restless) - winner, Supporting Actor; Bryton James (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor

2009: Debbi Morgan (All My Children) - nominee, Lead Actress; Bryton James (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor; Cornelius Smith, Jr. (All My Children) - nominee, Younger Actor

2010: Christel Khalil (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actress

2011: Debbi Morgan (All My Children) - nominee, Lead Actress

2012: Darnell Williams (All My Children) - nominee, Lead Actor; Debbi Morgan (All My Children) - nominee, Lead Actress; Sean Blakemore (General Hospital) - nominee, Supporting Actor; Christel Khalil (The Young and the Restless) - winner, Younger Actress

2013: Bryton James (The Young and the Restless) - nominee, Younger Actor

No surprise, Y&R and All My Children are the predominant shows in this list.

Of note is that Debbi Morgan is the only actor from this list to have been nominated in all three categories (Younger, Supporting, Lead).

The ``Susan Lucci`` of this list is Christel Khalil, in that she had more nominations before winning (3) than any of the other winning actors in this list.

The only category without a winner in this list is Lead Actress.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is that a serious question?

DM especially should have been nominated for that last episode. It focused exclusively on Angie and she acted her heart out showing tons of range with the character as we got to see an insight into a day in her life.

• Members

Okay...1. Really? Surely that isn't all. I do remember Tamara Tunie doing great work on ATWT when Jess was raped by T Marshal Travers. And of course Victoria Rowell and Tonya Lee William on Y&R back in the 90's. But were those considered lead stories? But then Heather Tom won as lead for Katie on B&B and I don't consider her a lead by any stretch. She is very much a supporting player.

• Members

I didn't watch CBS during that stuff so I don't know. I can speak for ABC and DM most definetly was lead in the final years on the show, which is why she was rightfully nominated in those categories. Heck they brought it back and she still remained a lead actress

• Members

Off Topic: That bullsh't that was Marshall "raping" not only killed any interest in my getting to know ATWT, it still pisses me off 10+ years later.

On topic: considering that white actresses have been rewarded for doing / being able to do much less, Blacktresses having the material to win a Best Actress award is irrelevant, IMO.

Archived