Y&R: February 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

So I watched today's US episode after not viewing the show for like a year.

I'm confused about this Jill/Colin story. The Jill in front of her family was not the real Jill, though the flashback scenes between her and Colin was real Jill. I know that JW enjoyed Tristan Rogers, but after the way that MAB ruined the character perhaps it would have been best not to bring back the character.

I noticed that the lighting, sets, and film technique has changed quite a bit over the last year. Kind of reminds me of GH, in a way.

Everytime I see Ray Wise, I think of Leland Palmer and the way he was looking at Summer, I had an uneasy feeling.

I did like the Sharon and Summer scene though not sure what the show is going for with having Cassie being flesh and blood unless Sharon is still crazy. I have a feeling that Sharon will get better, become friends with Summer, reunite with Nick then the secret of her switching the paternity results and accidently causing Phyllis' coma will come out.

I guess the one positive of JG being gone as head-writer is that if there was a clash between him and JFP, you can never tell clear cut stories because there is too much fighting. So in a way, now we can see one vision so there will be a higher chance of a vision being known.. however, JFP is not a writer and shouldn't be dictating story. Didn't Sony witness what happen to ATWT & GL in their final years with Goutman and Wheeler calling the shots production and storywise? Perhaps that is why Passante was hired since she is used to being dictated too.

And I guess Avery and Dylan are a couple again?

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was Avery flirting with Nick when he came over to ask Dylan to work together? Her chasing him out and the "I know you Newman". *sigh* The writers have succintly ended that relationship and they should keep it that way. I do not want to see a triangle with Aver/Nick/Dylan...and definitely not some quad with Chelsea and the three.

Jill's scenes with Colin, Cane, Esther, Jack, Devon, and Lily were funny. Despite this, I do not want this story. It will only result in Cane being on all the time. I am sure more than Lily, which should never be the case. And why was Jack dictating to her that she couldn't see Billy. Also, Jill throwing slight shade at Lily for givingher a hard time for taking Cane back for the exact same thing. She didn't say it but she implied it with a look. LOL.

The Summer and the cult story could be really good. I am interested in how much damage Ian Ward can do. This show needs a villain that will do dirt then leave when it is over and not be reformed. I wonder if they writers have any plan to hok him up with Gloria. I think that they should just because she has a history of being drawn to characters like him. Michael's father was similar.

I wonder who is gaslighting Sharon. I am pretty sure that this is woman who has had plastic surgery to look like Cassie. I am pretty sure it is Victor. That is the only thing that makes sense being that Noah told him about Sharon's visions sometime ago. I do like this turn. It will take the heat off of her when the truth of the paternity comes out. It will somehow get twisted into Victor's fault the same way that they twists all Billy's screw ups into Victor's fault.

• Members

Most of what we know about Colin is from Cane, who hasn't lived with him for years and when he did he was young, and batsh#t-crazy Genevieve. If they wanted to redeem him they could easily say he's been working undercover for the last 5 years. Maybe he was kidnapping those kids because he knew they were in danger. Colin's past? Maybe he was born into a mob family too, so he's never known anything else. There's nothing wrong with him being a little devious, I think that's part of the fun.

Jill's had the good guy in John Abbott, I'm excited to see her make Colin a better man, it should take many years.wub.png

I want the story, without it they lose any connection to Katherine and the beginning of Y&R. Thanks to MAB"s horrible stories, only Jill set in the Chancellor mansion can keep the connection going. That stupid plastic park, Devon inheriting Kay's money, and Victor tacking on the name Chancellor to Newman do nothing, in fact it's a JOKE! I pray it's not all about Cane. I'm hoping they will re-establish Jill as CEO/owner of Chancellor Industries leaving the door open for Mac, P2, and Chance someday. I also wish for a re-connection between Billy & Jill.

I took a look at the twitter feed today and I noticed Jess Walton told one of the tweeters that she would be in the credits soon. I wonder if that means the recurring credits or the opening. Fingers crossed they put her back in the opening.

• Members

I am one of those that love that Devon is Kay's grandson and that he inherited her money so I don't think that was a joke at all. As a matter of fact, I wish he had inherited CI too. Now, I think that they could do so much with Kay and the Chancellor connection without imposter Cane and Colin. They don't need them to write a story for Jill and neither have a connection to Kay so I don't see how they keep anything going. JFP has brought on new characters. It's nothing for her to cast Chance, Mac, and/or P3. Jill could be the head of CI with them working for her...throw in Devon and have him battle Chance for position and love with Mac as mediator. Isn't that what they do for the Newman's? Its easy. They actually had the dynamic with Billy and Cane before the rewrite of Cane. They could even go back to that if they wanted since they insist on writing Cane as Jill's son. But we don't need Jill connected to this criminal for a story.

I could think of a 20 different stories and even more family dynamics to play out between Kay, Jill, and Esther's offspring. The writers just have to be interested in biulding up that family and they are not beyond the people already on screen.

• Members

The connection between Kay & Devon was the stroke of MAB's poison pen. It wasn't even much of a story. Kay and Devon shared how many scenes? Devon & Kay relationship could be written out with that same stroke of the pen and many viewers wouldn't even realize they were ever related. MAB tried her best to obliterate the relationship between Kay & Jill but even she couldn't do it. She destroyed Katherine's extended family ,and her legacy, but she couldn't sever the connection the viewers had of Jill & Katherine because they'd been watching it for 40 years.

There is no comparison between Jill/Kay/Chancellor and Devon/ Kay/Chancellor. Any newcomer could be written as a grandson/granddaughter of Katherine Chancellor and it would have about the same impact as Devon being related. I don't see how you can throw Lily (and her family) out of his Devon's story, he's been connected to Lily since the beginning, she and Neil are his main relationship on the show. Heck they're his only historical relationships left with Dru gone. Devon doesn't have any connections with the Newmans, Abbotts, Baldwins, or whats left of the Chancellor "family".

I could buy Devon being one of the Chancellor clan, but it's ridiculous that he's been made the main guy. There's no way Katherine would have done that. It's absurd as Kay giving Victor her company. I'm just hoping the music box story will correct some of this nonsense.

• Members

I never said I would throw out Devon's connection to the Winters. Not once. I love his story and his relationships with the Winters family. You act as if he can only be related to one family on the show. He can be both Kay's bio grandson and Neil and Dru's adoptive son all at the same time. Oh look, that is already what is happening.

Of course they can write out Devon's bio connection to Kay the exact same way that they wrote out Jill's. Matter of fact they can write out any connection on this show that they choose. Everyone one that you named that you think is related to Kay can be written out. That includes P3 and P4, which are NOT related to Kay, along with Brock and Mac. Mac was also an insta connection out of thin air just like Devon. No complaints about that though. Unsurprising. I don't really get your point here.

Lastly, Devon IS NOT a Chancellor. He isn't. He has no relation whatsoever to any Chancellor. Maybe you meant to say that you think it ridiculous that he is Kay's lone blood relative left on the show. Once again, easily rectified by casting Mac and bringing back Brock full time. But no P3 and P4 won't cut it because they are not blood relatives of Kay's.

The entire point of my post was that they could do things with the history of Kay and Jill and their off spring that doesn't involve Jill being involved with a criminal.

• Members

Todays show was boring. Back to the doldrums ....the whole Colin/Jill/Cane etc etc...is just boring...dont care for Colin even though I flove TR....the rest of the show was just blah....first bad show in a while.

• Members

Devon's the main Chancellor because he's the ONLY blood related Chancellor left on the show.

Katherine's dead & the rest of her family (Tucker, Brock, Nina, Mackenzie & both Phillips) are all off canvas while the two honorary Chancellors (Esther & Chloe) are written (mainly Chloe) more as Fisher Baldwins than Chancellors.

• Members

Blood related or not Katherine considered both Phillip's as family & there is plenty of room on the canvas for all of Katherine's family (blood related & adopted) if the writers were even halfway interested in writing for them.

However Y&R made the inane decision a long time ago that The Newmans were Y&R's central family & every other family had to settle for scraps (The Abbotts, The Barber Winters) or fade away (The Williams, The Romalottis, The Fenmore/Graingers).

• Members

Sharon a heroine?? I don't see it but I've never been a fan of Sharon.

I've always liked AH as Victoria better than HT. I think HT does an incredible job as Katie on B&B (at least while I was watching) but as Victoria I never liked her in that role and was glad when she left.

• Members

But Kay was a Chancellor because she kept the name for herself and on "her" company despite being married to numerous others. Blood relationships may be all that matters to some viewers but we saw it didn't matter one bit to Katherine. She went out of her way to adopt Phillip III and she was grooming him ( not Brook, or later Mac) to run Chancellor Industries. She was involved in his life as much as Jill was, and she grew to love him as a son, just like she did Billy until MAB destroyed it. The relationship between Neil & Devon is no different than the one between Kay and Phillip III. The first 25-30 years of Jill & Kay's conflict revolved around the Chancellor offspring so they will always be relevant. Viewers associate Kay as being a Chancellor, because she was one.

• Members

I'm guessing that victor hired someone and had them look like Cassie.

While the show has been good the last few days I don't know how long that will last with JFP and now with Jean at Y&R. It's clear with the way the show was written before sweeps that they are not going to be consistently writing good stories. I hope I'm wrong but I feel like we may only good episodes during sweeps with JFP at the helm.

Archived