Y&R: February 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

I disagree. Katherine was so into controlling what happened to Little Phillip ( Chance) that she partnered with her arch enemy Jill, against Nina. The whole David Kimble saga was about David getting control of the irrevocable trust Kay put in Phillip/Chances's name. Whatever happened to that trust which contained a large % of Chancellor? Another one of the many things MAB didn't address that when she brought Phillip back to life. Katherine never talked business with adult Chance because MAB was in charge then.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just as Nikki will always be Mrs. Victor Newman no matter to whom she is married or who Victor is married. O_O

My opinion on that's is the same as Nikki. While it may be true that you can keep whatever name you want, it comes across pathetic. Especially when the man had moved on and fell in love with another. This might be an unpopular thought and I may catch flack for it but I felt like she kept that name as homage to her history with P2 and the story of her, P2, and Jill. A competition, with Jill, in which she had lost.

I respect all relationships adopted, foster, or blood..new or old. Because at one point the old was new. I was simply responding to you on who should or shouldn't be respected as Kay's legacy on the show and laying out the facts.

• Members

I wouldn't say they are more family. I would say they had a longer history. IfJC had not died, I am sure she would still be developing a connection with Devon, her only blood relative on the show. As for cane, she treated him just like her other grandchildren and fosters, So I can't say recent relationships of adult characters like chance and Chloe are more family. To my chagrin, she loved cane and considered him family.

• Members
He said on today's show that he married Jill to stay in the country.,.didnt he? At least I think he did.

Victor getting CI was stupid and made no sense. Just more to have Victor and Jack with story. Jill didn't even need to partner with Jack to take over Chancellor. I know many like the Abbot connection but I don't. It only served to give him story with her being kidnapped tied to a bed off screen..

• Members

The money they gave TR, they could have used to cast Chancellors, P3 and P4, and had them join in the fight for CI. Lord knows there is a woman who could use chance and having a gay man adds to the diversity. Put Nina on recurring and the house would be full again. And they already have this battle for Chancellor so there is your start. Delia is dead and Chance would have story helping Chloe forgive with Kevin jealous and doing silly things to him. P2 could seduce someone to get information at NC.

I just don't get this idea that TR is needed.

• Members
I'd be okay with Chance coming back to fight for his legacy. Do away with his being a soldier and let him and Jill take Victor on. Jack needs to be removed from this completely since all he's mad about really is Victor being a bad daddy to poor wittle Adam. He's so pathetic. Just out of curiosity, who'd make a good Chance?

• Members
I agree that Jack needs to be removed completely. If for no other reason than it would force them to write for Jill and/or her accomplice(s). As long as Jack is in the story, he will get the bulk of the air time and story. It is all about his vendetta against Victor instead of what the story should be about, which is Jill fighting for her due and that of her progeny.

I hadn't given any thought at all on who to cast as the role. But I think it is needed?

• Members

I said Katherine pretty much stopped worrying about having a Chancellor heir at Chancellor AFTER Phillip died.

She continued to partner with Jill in the immediate aftermath of Phillip's death because she felt NINA was an unfit mother (not because she necessarily wanted Chance at Chancellor in the future). However while Katherine had a lot of problems with Nina's decision making skills during the David debacle it was JILL who used the situation to fight Nina for custody of Chance whereas once Nina proved she was a responsible mother she & Katherine largely made peace.

• Members

They really blew their chance with the whole Nina vs Chloe thing they tried to create in 2009-10......I know this is obvious but this show has been in desperate need of a conniving vixen that matched the likes of Jill and Nina back in the day, and they had a golden opportunity to do that when Chloe came on, but they cared more about her becoming another Fisher/Baldwin prop...............I even wish Jill herself would resume her inner bitch goddess that made her stand out in the 80's and 90's but they haven't written her that way in almost a decade.......I always love Jess as an actress but whenever I watch old scenes of Jill I often ask myself if Jess would be able to act like that now, and still pull off the over the top wardrobe that use to define Jill....

• Members

Hated Jill/Colin. Like, why didn't she just kick him in the balls and grab her phone? There must be some sort of "blackmail" explanation to come, but I can't see Jill being so blase when she knows that Billy is in trouble... and when she got to the mansion, she just accepted Jack's word that Billy needs to be left alone and just continues to tell the story? She should've been bugging out.

Was JFP the EP at GH when Jason and Brenda got married? Cause this was exactly like that, except not entertaining or witty at all.

I really don't want them to go down the route of Cassie being real. We had enough doppelgangers. They need to be phasing out those type of plotlines.

I will say the pacing has improved... they're wrapping up some of the bigger stories like Carmine and Adam, but they have a few secrets bubbling under (Billy/Watros and Sharon switching the paternity test), and some other good ones developing, especially with Ian Ward... but it's still not close to classic Y&R, since the majority of the storylines just aren't that strong. Even the B, C, and D storylines used to be really great.

• Members

The Jill and Colin scenes were straight-up AWFUL. Total filler -- Jill saying how "thrilled" she was to be married to Colin -- cut to a flashback of Jill being patently NOT thrilled.

The forced hilarity of the scenes were especially grating. Because nothing is funnier than knowing Jill was handcuffed to a bed for a month while her son descended into a vicious spiral of despair over her grand-daughter's death? WTF?

If William J Bell (or his handpicked successors Kay Alden, Jack Smith) had been writing, we would have had one of those amazing background music chords slowly building the psychological tension as Jill tries to make everybody believe that she and Colin married out of love, while really he twisted her arm to get what he wanted. Colin would be standing just behind her shoulder, watching her like a hawk as Jill valiantly paints a picture of Love Found Again, to the point where she actually sounds convincing. Once her family and loved ones leaves, the mask finally falls and Jill would swear revenge on Colin.

The REAL Jill would, that is. Instead we are back to MAB-style writing. Jill the loser. Jill the comedic harridan. Isn't it hilarious how Colin wants to consummate their fake marriage in her bedroom?! Ahahaha.

MY Jill was never these things. She suffered, she plotted, she'd been through all sorts of tragedy, but she was also rich, powerful, diva-esque, smart, glamourous, manipulative and utterly amazing to watch. Not this retcon.

And DG should be ashamed of himself for putting the word "ACTOR" at the top of his resumé. DAMN that was some piss-poor line reading, and lord knows he's no stranger to those. Wagging his finger at Colin to stay away from his Stepford twins? Al Pacino is scared for his job, y'all!

She was. And she used similar twangy background music to denote "funny!" there, too.

On another note, Avery yapping about her easy-bake oven malfunctioning? I can't with this Mary Sue.

Archived