DAYS: January 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

No, unfortunately. MarDar stands for Marlene and Darrel, writers who hyped a 'reboot' for DAYS in late 2011 proclaiming that a new dawn was coming for Salem...they brought on a bunch of 90s characters and wrote a heap of boring, garbage storylines and were fortunately fired.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh wow! Thanks for clearing that up. I do remember the name Marlene (McPherson?) and asking about the reboot on here at the time and wondering what that was all about. I seem to remember that they took a long break during the Olympics before the "NEW" DOOL debuted.

I fell hard and fast for Kristen. Wish she had a "best of" dvd.

• Members

Yes, the interesting part of Vivian vs. Kristen is how they interact with other. Vivian has always had a male lackey with her that she cares about deeply, either through some undercurrent of romance (Ivan) or treating them like a son (mostly Gus). She's needed human interaction while she goes on with her schemes, someone to plan with.

Kristen is much more a family woman, she's had fierce ties to her siblings (EJ stood in for Peter this go round), but she's more of a solo operator and the people who help her with her schemes are always hired hands or people she's blackmailed into doing her bidding.

Kate is the opposite of these women in the sense that she's never truly been considered a VILLAIN in that there was never any danger of her being written off. Vivian had the connection of Laurence, but he was evil, and she saw Phillip as her son since she gave birth to him, but he wasn't really. And Kristen's family members were DiMeras. Kate on the other hand had Lucas as a son via Bill and Will as a grandson, so she will always be tied to the central families of the show and not so easy to just write off. She's interacted with people as a friend and family member while doing villainous things and even during periods where she was framing Sami for murder, trying to kill Victor, trying to kill Chloe, etc. she's never been fully ostracized from the Salem community the way Vivian and Kristen have been.

• Members

Why is that bc as mentioned, she's done some heinous things? Trying to murder multiple people puts her in line with the likes of Kristen and Vivian. She has her kids but she doesn't belong to any of the beloved Salem families that would grant her an automatic pass for her crimes

• Members

DaytimeFan answered it perfectly but I'll add my thoughts anyway!

With Kristen, she always needed a moral justification for what she did. Even if it was so twisted and far removed from reality, she needed to believe she was reasonable in what she was doing, perhaps because of her once religious convictions. Vivian, although often portrayed with camp and humor, wasn't burdened by such feelings. Vivian is a much darker character and even when slaptick, Louise Sorel always underlined her performance with a sinister chill and volatility.

Before either returned to the show, I always clamoured for Vivian's return over Kristen's. Now that both have come to pass, it is Kristen's return I would wish for more now. Higley really botched Vivian's return, watering down her menacing prescence to the point that all the characters took her as a joke, not just the audience (as was the case towards the end of her first run).

• Members

This is a good point that the last year has driven home. Of the so-called 5 supercouples (Marlena/John, Bo/Hope, Kayla/Patch, Jack/Jen, Shane/Kim), 4 have their female counterparts on screen without their romantic partners. And all of them have never been as interesting as they are now (although I should add the compelling part of Jen is with her family, not with Daniel).

• Members

Oh with Bo and Hope, I feel as if the writing has always been more in his favor. He can and has existed without her just fine and has multiple successful pairings. She seems to be defined by him however and has failed to branch out beyond the Bo and Hope super couple legacy. Even now with him nowhere insight, she's tied down by that. I also have felt she's always been more interesting when they weren't writing g her as Hope. Princess Gina, Brain Chip Gina and Night Time Hope were KA at her best. Regular Hope is just meh and the writing has never made her a breakout character without Bo, (unlike the revitalizing Marlena got recently after dropping John)

• Members

I don't disagree with what you say, but I have thoroughly enjoyed her as regular Hope more than ever this last year with her newfound independence as a single mother balancing a demanding job and an increasingly unsettled daughter. I've enjoyed her friendship with Rafe and her ownership of the Salem brain. While none of this adds up to anything of substance, it's made her interesting to me. Now all she needs is a storyline!

• Members

Well that's kind of my point. Oh Ive enjoyed her as well this past year but the fact is she is still straddled to Bo. She's made a good supporting character but she has had absolutely no storyline of her own and when we do get insight into her personal life, its all about Bo. That's what drives her situation with Ciara. Without him, they haven't given her the spotlight and she is just another supporting character to other people's stories. They have to do something about that bc its been over a year now. They need to stop looking at her in terms of Bo and Hope and start looking at her as Hope Williams Brady, a character ready to move on with her life and story which doesn't include him. They cant even write around it bc he is an issue which they keep dodging instead of properly addressing

• Members

Funny you should mention GREETINGS!man because I was thinking how much I love the way they're utilizing him and how he manages to make all his lines regarding dead birds sound so ominous and threatening. He is annoying to me but in a totally good way.

LMAO, extended/multiple flashbacks is a DAYS staple. If anything, they have lessened them considerably. Reilly's episodes were, like, 30% flashbacks.

ED has said that, minus the crazy & rapist side, she is more like Kristen than Ashley.

It's always seemed to me that ED shines through more as Kristen because the role allows her to be free and let go. Ashley is much colder and controlled, which I guess means it's OK that ED seems less ... something. Not that I would ever call her performances as Ashley anything other than stellar.

• Members

She is straddled to Bo, but this time without Bo - in other words, she wouldn't be written this way if Bo was on the show and thus she would be less interesting.

And yes, I totally agree they have to do something about it. I think the BTS screwed everything up - Corday thought PR would return to the show and made him a promise not to kill him off but PR isn't willing to compromise on whatever his demands are.

• Members

IA with that. They seemed to be chem testing and Hope should have had an affair which Ciara found out about and turned into a real demon child. Bo would learn of this while overseas and file for divorce. Before anything could get finalized, he would "go missing" and be presumed dead while on assignment, making Hope feel extra guilty. Her story would be about fighting her attraction for Vargas while facing the judgement of Bo's family and a daughter that resents her. Hope having her Horton halo tarnished could have led to some interesting developments for the character and one that didn't involve a brain chip, amnesia or drugs

Archived