DAYS: January 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not a lot of thoughts for this week - this weeks seemed a little bit slower, but I'm cool with that as I feel we're definitely gearing up for February sweeps/the Olympics!

1) Loved loved loved Kate/Sami/Gabi's reaction to Nick's entrance. Gabi passing out. The threesome going to DiMansion and eating to celebrate that they didn't kill a man. Classic.

2) Can we get a Hallelujah that Anne's office uses the blue room set but they added a couple BEIGE walls!!!! It looks so much better! Even though it's half blue - the tan makes it so much more tolerable.

3) Theresa and Nicole meeting each other was gold. I want an awesome diva rivalry between the two of them!

4) I also loved on Friday the "Greetings" birdwatcher showed back up! I love him. He is such a good comedic element to add to the show.

5) Line of the week: Sami to Kate & Gabi : "We are three upstanding citizens!".. and then Kate's stare down glare response!

• Members

LOL! Dr Chaka Khan looks like he listens to Chaka Khan on his downtime. Or Whitney Houston's Bodyguard soundtrack (doing the "Chaka KHAN!" shoutout during I'm Every Woman).

I kind of squealed when he appeared on my screen the other day, in his lumberjack shirt (what?) and sipping a glass of wine. Dr. Chaka Khan is not OTT like Bart was (Stefano's mastermind doctor in the 90s) and for that I am grateful. It got to the point where Bart was pushing the realms of space, time and physics with his special brain-chips etc., and Days became a total cartoon. Even if Days budget increases significantly, I don't ever want to go back to the era when death meant absolutely nothing. Everything was crazy unrealistic.

Dr. Chaka Khan is realistic because he is incompetent. The date-rape drug he pioneered (which also gives you the libido of a jack-rabbit and makes you instantly forget whatever happened) doesn't even work all that great (well, the forgetting part didn't). And now this attempt to kill off Eric and Nicole was a bust (not from lack of trying, although when you are up against McHairySuperman, what's a guy to do?). He is realistic because he tried to cover his tracks and it went slightly off the rails and he had to improvise.

I thought the actor played the Eric & Nicole scenes so well because he underplayed it. He wasn't a mustache-twirling cartoon. Nicole caught him as she came out of the shower. For a lot of us women, that would be a nightmare, to be in our home barely clothed and find a strange man in our living room. We didn't know what he was going to do (and neither did she). Dr. Chaka Khan kept us guessing and as a result, the scenes were chilling rather than "Haha, Dr. Chaka Khan has Eric & Nicole tied up in the basement to a pole, isn't that hilarious?" And the quiet way he let everything Brady told him wash over him without a word or even a flicker of recognition, covering his tracks with the rosary, etc. Dr. Chaka Khan can be an incompetent but he's not a total idiot because he thinks on his feet. He's obviously been in tight spots before and done what it takes to get out of them.

And when we saw him again this week, surfing the web with a BIG glass of Rioja, he's all "doh!" when he spots the news story about Eric and Nicole. I literally LOL, because even if he got out of this one, at the end of the day he still messed up.

• Members

You're talking about Rolf. Bart was the clumsy henchman.

It's kind of funny that Rolf and Bart both debuted in 1997 when Reilly was writing and Rolf was a normal doctor and Bart was a normal henchman. It wasn't until Langan's tenure that they became comic reliefs.

• Members

I am here for Maggie vs. Brady. So much better than Naggy Maggie. Leave Maggie the Kiriakis Queen and make Julie the rightful Horton Queen.

I like how 'tired' Abigail looks. It makes it seem realistic because she's stressed out over the affair, likely not sleeping, and she's constantly remembering their hookups. And EJ just so happens to need to be the hospital ... lol. And lol at Abby all pleased and hot and bothered to see him.

Yay, Creepy Nick with Abby. Blake is fantastic, Nick is really creepy. I wonder why they keep bringing Chad up, they must be bringing him back at some point.

Can they also make Kate a bit smarter over this Nick thing? He basically hits her over the head with it. Ugh. LOL @ "Cuz lately impossible's been my middle name" I love the way Blake Berris can turn a regular line into greatness.

I do like seeing EJ and Kate sharing scenes. And LOL at EJ calling EVERYONE by their full names.

I find the Colin Farrell look-alike Monk annoying, personally, but I'll watch Greg Vaughan read the phone book so whatever.

Love Nicole so determined to help her man. And I actually sort of like Daniel's friendship with them. I know. I know. I hate how he's SuperDaniel, but it's clear the three of them work very well together and it shows on-screen. Nicole has come SO far as a character and I like how, even though she's been declawed quite a bit, she hasn't just changed overnight, we've basically seen her progress over the last several years.

Daniel: You want to be with Eric, don't you?

Nicole: Desperately.

Sigh.

And where's nasty Victor? Taking Naggy Maggie back was the worst ever for him. He was so great away from her and in rare form. Now he's a teddy bear grandpa again, coddling Brady. I don't get it. LOL at them talking about Brady and then he's eavesdropping on them. Love it. Also lol at him wanting to drink in peace. I'd probably wanna drink with those nags around me too. Drunk Nasty Brady is the best and I'm so glad we came back to him. I was so bummed when MarDar made him Boring Brady. And then he was Dumbass Pathetic Brady. However, THIS is the Maggie want to see. Mostly.

Heh at Kate sideyeing Jordan and Rafe, plotting against Jordan, but she has to deal with Nick's back from the dead first. LOL. Kate must want a side project to keep herself busy or something by going after Jordan. Rafe/Jordan are cute again today. I can't believe how much I like them. They are still pretty boring but the cute works. Hopefully February seems some things happen.

Fantastic ending. GREETINGS!!

• Members

It's been two or three weeks since the affair started, and I still don't understand why it happened or what the purpose for it is. If the writers wanted to end EJami they really should have shown the dissolution of their relationship better than what was presented. It's like as soon as New Years Eve happened the problems came out of nowhere and seemed insurmountable in their relationship, when it never was that way before. It makes everything that is happening seem hard to believe. Had the writers invested a bit more time in this storyline I could have totally bought EJ slowly falling out of love with Samantha, and him seeing that what he vied for years wasn't what he actually wanted, and him reacting based off of that disillusionment. That would have been character driven motivation and would have been more than enough for a catalyst to segue into this storyline.

But as it stands none of that is there, and none of the EJ/Abby relationship makes sense because the characters aren't in context.

• Members

^^ I disagree. I don't necessarily even think that he's fallen out of of love with Sami and tossed their relationship aside. I totally buy EJ sleeping with Abby in part because he just wanted to have sex with her, in part because he's fed up with Sami (whether this is justified or not doesn't matter - its not like EJ hasn't hurt her before and its not like has hasn't cheated in a relationship before and its not like he's a particularly good guy in general) and in part to stop Abby talking to Hope about Nick. I think their relationship falling apart is happening right now - I certainly wouldn't have wanted to watch months of them having some tired, slow falling apart. This affair with Abby is much more fun. I know EJami fans think it is out of the realm of believable that he'd cheat on her but I don't think it is.

Archived