Y&R August 2013 Discussion

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still think it's writing. That get together was stupid. I still think they would've had a more poignant story had they had Jill find out first and it gradually spread around town and we saw everyone's reaction to the news.

How the scenes were structured showed how some people (i.e. Lily, Kevin, Cane, when Devon) were out of place and didn't mesh well. Had it been Nikki, Jill, Esther, Victor, Jack, Paul, and Murphy, I think it would've been a hell of a lot better.

And I blame acting and directing too. The director should be shot for letting these actors phone it in. And the actor's choices were crap too. Especially something this special.

It was just abysmal on all levels. Jeanne should pop out grave and bitch-slap everyone.

Possibly worst death reveal of legacy character since my Nancy Hughes on World Turns.

• Members

No but they could've did it somewhere near real time of Jeanne's passing. I mean they had plenty of time to do the funeral and isn't that hard to plan or breakdown. And the story was there.

This show had weeks of practically nothing going on except Summer's paternity. All the other stories could've been backburned.

• Members

The writing yesterday re: Kay's death felt like it was executed by a bored, uninterested, uneducated writer. I mean uneducated in all things Y&R. The montage -- with a twangy country music song? No offense, but a sweeping, old style Y&R piece or even just the first few poignant piano keys of Nadia's Theme would have had me in tears. I couldn't believe the clips picked to represent what Mrs. C had meant to all these people -- Chloe and Katherine sharing some chocolate? Um, OK. Like slim fashionista Chloe would ever let chocolate cross her lips. Surely Esther has a wealth of meaningful clips one could choose from, the same goes for JILL.

Honestly, Jess Walton made the show for me from the moment she started quietly crying even before Murphy announced that Kay had died in her sleep and ending when she held back from toasting everybody with her champagne glass -- Cane had to lean over and clink his glass with her's. Deep down, Jill knew what had happened. She knew from the moment she saw everybody gathered at the house.

Michael Fairman -- I'm going to give him a pass because he looks a little frail himself, and because he was probably overjoyed to be back with some substantial dialogue after having been blackballed from the show for all the reasons we speculated back then.

But the Chancellor Mansion scenes lacked feeling and impetus. Honestly, I got more impetus from Sharon's stalking of Nick, and Avery clocking on to her game.

Bet KSJ was bummed that he got left out. JFP still has time to redeem herself with a fitting memorial service. And I have to give her props for having devoted an entire episode to Jeanne passing away a few month's ago. I do think, despite my criticism of her EPing skills, that JFP liked Jeanne a lot and wants to do right by her.

• Members

I've been trying to watch this show, I'm still one week behind and it is pretty painful. The show has no energy or life to it. I do like the actress playing Hilary, but she should be playing Lily. It's really glaring watching her since it feels like she's just a Lily recast played by a better actress. Staying within this storyline, there better be a payoff with Rose being dead because she actually worked really well with Neil. I found more potential there and more life in the actress than so many of the new people cast on the show. They should've immediately changed course and made her Phyllis when they knew that role needed to be filled.

• Members

As I said in spoiler thread last week, I can't wait for the day they get rid of Elmer Fudd. Fairman is hands down the worst actor on the show. I never understood the logic of giving Kay another husband, much less this doofus. I hope we find out that the marriage wasn't legal or that he murdered Kay so they can write him off sooner rather than later.

Archived