Paula Deen

Eric83

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Given how the media spins things...but at this point I am repeating myself. Four against one, really people, I don't think what I shared or questioned was that bad. I want discussion. I know the word is wrong. I know that kind of work behavior is definitely wrong. Let me ask - when it happened, what was done about it, per the individual, not what was brought up to Paula Deen and co., If this was ongoing, why did it take until now to do something about it?

• Members

How is the media "spinning" things though? If anything I think the shows are being more than fair to her. In fact some are bending over backwards to not go to hard on her.

She did something vile years ago and even more recently her treatment of her employees was nasty and inappropriate. As others have mentioned this is real life....not some fictional soap opera.

• Members

The thing is I honestly don't care about Paula Deen. I don't even care if she threw the N-word around privately. She's old and Southern and her behavior has no effect on my live or the lives of anyone I know or care about. (Unlike say the Ohio General Assembly which is at this moment debating defunding Planned Parenthood) but this concept that it's all about that one word is ridiculous and the martyrdom being used to give her a pass by people who like her is surreal. If someone wants to support her, cool. I know what that's like, I still support Anthony Weiner but I don't demand that other people do the same. I'm sick to death of being told who and what I'm allowed to care about and using the fact that I'm a soap fan to do it, is just desperate.

• Members

TSJTodd on OLTL and Kristen on Days have both raped. Annie on AMC and Sam on GH, have both killed, yet Ive loved all these characters. So what? If they were real people, I wouldnt be feeling the same way about them. WTH does a soap fans opinion on the actions of a fictional character have any bearing on how they might feel about the actions of a real life person?

• Members

See I buy that this is the real motivation for firing her. I think that the FoodNetwork would have tried to wait it out if all was well with Deen's show. Don't forget her two sons have upcoming shows on the FoodNetwork. I fully expect them to have her as a guest when things die down as a way to help with her rehabilitation.

• Members

It's too bad for the people who don't seem to understand that the lawsuit is about Paula Deen's mistreatment of employees. The rest is part of proving that what went on wasn't just an aberration.

Paula Deen is a delusional racist and the people who think her saying sorry makes it okay are simply ignoring that the plaintiff has a list of issues with her. It's great if people can relate to her saying racist things because they've done it as well, but people choose to use the words they use. Her age and the time in which she was born is no excuse. And the way she labels people in private is an indication of her true self.

I could care less about her but I do happen to be mildly fascinated by the rationale of the people saying she's just an old lady from a certain time. It's not as if a black man robbed her and she referred to him as some awful colored man. Her desire to have a plantation themed wedding for brother Bubba speaks volumes about how she sees black people in this day. Defend her if you wish, but please don't insult the other people of her generation from the south who don't think that way by dismissing it as an age thing. Nor is it a she used a word that she regrets thing. She can be sorry about that and claim to regret it. Her desire to bring back the plantation for a festive occasion isn't something I would imagine that all of us who are alive and have apparently uttered something racist would think to do or even suggest.

I can only speak for myself and I have never once considered having anyone dress up as or pretend to be a slave for any reason at all.

• Members

I think that part of it is that people who use racist terms and make racist jokes like to delude themselves that it does not mean that they racist and somehow they can separate what they say from how they act and treat people which is delusional. Multiple social science studies have shown that language and behaviors and beliefs are completely interrelated. People who use racist and homophobic language do so because it reflects their negative attitudes about those groups and in turn, how they act towards people in those groups.

• Members

I'll just say this-

I don't really think Paula Deen is for sure some huge racist. I think she made insensitive, ignorant and (yes) racist remarks. Her actions were obviously questionable and it seems she was in the wrong. But we don't know everything, and I don't know that I think she is an out and out racist.

Archived