Paula Deen

Eric83

• Members

It's not real life, I agree with you. But certain things characters say on shows, in movies, the main stream continues to support racism in this country. And the actions may not directly deal with one another, but I think there is a relationship, as certain written scenes have influenced or sustained certain attitudes and prejudices from it's viewers.

I agree Eric on freedom to speak your mind. I did, and really what I found hypocritical in general, I am not directing all of this at you, was the retaliation towards Paula using images and terms to emphasize her ignorance, but at the same time belittle Kunta Kinte who was a credible character in a pertinent television event. And I appreciate your apology, but I am just asking to be responded to in a manner that doesn't demean that fact that I offered something critical, albeit debate, because I want to get answers. I am not here to cause trouble like "London" said, or that I am a bird of "racist" feathers as Ann insinuated...and she did. I will apologize I put the cart before the horse in the "N" word first, as the emphasis lies on claims of discrimination in the work place .

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Paula Deen's racism results from her ignorance and her stubbornness only compounds it. I get the impression that she's been told that some of the "funny" stories she tells are offensive to some and she does it anyway. Why? Because "she is what she is" and it is, after all, her right to speak her mind and be herself. I have no problem with her being WYSIWYG. All of her black friends know exactly what she is. They know that she believes they are so much less than she is and they're able to make an informed decision.

She serves as a catalyst that brought the truth about the way a lot of other people think and/or their beliefs to the surface.

What I find a real shame is that sites claiming to be devoted to "black news" including Huffington's page, have made her their focal point. She apparently ranks above all the other trite happenings with which they're consumed.

• Members

She uses racist language, makes racist jokes, creates a racially hostile atmosphere and has her black employees use a different bathroom at her business and you don't think that she is "an out and out racist." I guess all that is left for her to do is beat, lynch, or drag a black person behind a car for her to meet this classification to you and some others.

• Members

For !@#$%^&*]'s sake. Blazing Saddles used racist language as satire. It was a comedy meant to show how ignorant and self-defeating racism is. Are you claiming that Paula Deen is engaging in some sort of satirical performance art or are you do you genuinely not see the difference? This level of false equivalence is what got you feeling beat up on earlier in this thread.

I've noticed that there is little support for Paula Deen that isn't rooted in "Oh yeah? Look over there...and ignore the context while you do it!!" At least I'm willing to say, "She's old, Southern and just a product of her times and environment." You just want to pretend that she did nothing wrong and demand the rest of us do the same because of soap operas and Mel Brooks.

It's Derailing for Dummies 101.

• Members

If all of those things are true, then I might believe she is a racist. However none of that has been proven or admitted. She admitted to the n word and the wedding, which are awful. But the rest is heresay at this point and until there is concrete evidence surrounding it, I'm not ready to tar and feather her over it.

• Members

We can all pretty much filter whatever someone says or does in order to keep ourselves from being accountable in any way for supporting shady or seemingly shady individuals. I think if people want to support or stand behind Paula Deen or whoever, they shouldn't feel any need to have to explain why. Be proud that you're so open minded, etc.

Comparing her real life actions to fictional works and characters is a serious stretch. It's kind of like saying that a person who loves Mickey Mouse should be a-okay with actual rodents because there's no difference.

The question people may want to consider is how they would like to work for the "harmless" Paula Deen? Do you think a woman who shows such disregard for the feelings of others because she wants to get her jokes in and "is what she is" would make a real fun employer?

So far, I've seen a lot of finger pointing of the unless you're a saint you have no right to judge variety. I haven't seen much about how lucky the plaintiff and her fellow employees should feel to be allowed to work for the great Paula Deen. In fact outside of references to her as one of those white liberals who iis apparently more offended by racism than white people, I haven't seen any of the loyal supporters address the hostile work environment claims.

There's a whole lot of concern about poor Paula Deen's feelings and well being so they think buying her book is going to teach everyone else a lesson. Her black friends and employees are supposed to grin and recognize her greatness as she finds new ways to insult them because she's just an old southern lady stuck in her old southern way. If she decided to shoot some of them and say it was just her southern way, I'm pretty sure people would find a way to be fine with that as well.

• Members

She probably will sue them depending on the terms of her contract with them. They must think they have some legitimate ground for dumping her.

Either she will find another publisher or she can self-publish--especially since there is clearly an interest in her book.

As for the lack of focus on the sexism claims--that topic is usually low on the totem pole. People will get more worked up over the President killing a fly in a way that's not considered to be humane.

People actually showed up outside of the courthouse to cheer for Aaron Hernandez as if they were at some pre-game rally. The man is accused of killing someone.

The media loves the racism angle best. And it will get Jesse Jackson some coverage since he says she can be redeemed and I am sure he will be more than happy for some cost, to facilitate that process.

• Members

I suspected that this might have been the real reason for the cancellation. Trisha Yearwood's southern cooking show has taken off and I think they want to make that one of their top programs, rather than hanging on to a twelve year old program that they barely even promoted anymore.

Archived