Paula Deen

Eric83

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not that I expect anything better from the media, but it's amazing, if not surprising, how this has become all about poor Paula and the racism of older Southerners and how she shouldn't be blamed for this, instead of attention focusing on the restaurant and the claims against it. This means she will, and already is, becoming a martyr to many, and will likely emerge from this as some sort of sainted victim.

More of the same:

http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/24/viewpoint-give-paula-deen-back-her-job/

One of the relatives I try to avoid said something to another relative that Food Network was violating Paula's "free speech." I just wonder how many of the people who work at that restaurant would receive the same pity party.

• Members

I think that you are over generalizing. Yes, there are those types in the media and her fans/supporters are trying to sell that narrative, but overall, I don't think that she is getting nearly as much sympathy as she wishes. People are still mocking her on social media and overall, her racism is not being glossed over.

• Members

Much of the media focus seems to be on her comments, brand, and now, the backlash from her fans toward the Food Network. It just seems to move further and further away from the practices of her or her brother in their restaurant. I know that is not as attractive a story, but it's the one I'm most interested in, because the rest seems to amount to how long it will take before people forgive Paula Deen and she will get back her old culinary empire.

Here's something from a man who used to work for her.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/06/paula-deen-employee-insulting-unfair-treatment/

• Members

I saw the end of that and she was just a complete trainwreck and playing the victim much too heavily. I know this routine has an audience, and I'm sure a lot of people saw an older woman being berated by the penis head Matt Lauer, but I thought she overdid it. That last line made me cringe, the "I is what I is." Talk about pandering. And it doesn't suggest she has any regret over what she said.

She's lucky that her business practices are not interesting to the media.

She needs better PR people and she needs to go take a long break.

Archived