Paula Deen

Eric83

• Members

The sole black person in the picture is too funny. Has Oprah said anything? I had no idea that they are good friends. I am surprised that she has not already schedule a mea culpa interview on OWN.

The FoodNetwork still has new shows with her two sons. I am they will work her into their shows when she makes her apology tour.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't remember if anyone said it here but I read some comments from people who thought that her canceling the Today Show appearance was the last straw for the Food Network, because she looked like she had something to hide.

I saw some of the anger at the Food Network, the, "I won't watch again! Everyone makes a mistake!" and so on. This is a lot deeper than just the comments, although those were bad enough. And, "She said something bad in 1986! No one is perfect." If this really had stopped in 1986 then I don't think she'd be out of a job.

• Members

I expect her issues with racism, the old South and just general incredibly outre behavior - not just the slave wedding thing but other stuff I've seen rumblings about - were just under the surface of her public life all this time, and for that to be ripped away even partially so suddenly was making her completely melt down. I expect someone at FN saw that and knew she could not continue; it's all going to come out.

I don't think she's an evil person, and I know from my stepmother's family down in West Virginia that a lot of that stuff is still ingrained in way too much of the culture. But with [!@#$%^&*] like a "slave wedding" coming to mind, Paula Deen clearly has a skewed moral compass in terms of what's even conceivable of in this day and age. You have to wonder what else is under the hood. Honestly, I feel a kind of pity. Not for her losing her job, because she absolutely needed to be fired and needs to continue to be publicly shamed. My pity is more for the idea that in this day and age, you can have someone who has it all but is ultimately hardwired to fail and disgrace herself because of this kind of ancient filth instilled in her makeup long ago. And it's clear she doesn't get it.

• Members

Actually, I feel a sort of pity too. That her mind was infected with this sort of hate at an early age (I'm guessing).

That said, the wedding thing is pure crazy and I'm glad she lost her show. Now I'd like her to fade into obscurity. Some of us are trying to live in a semi civilized society. I'm not under 30 and I'm still outraged. I have a hard time excusing anyone under 80 for this kind of crazy, Certainly not someone with her access to opportunities and ideas.

• Members

Her apology was awkward to say the least.....

Honestly her words and statements in that deposition were very weird. Like she was in shock or something. I need the full context to understand so someone correct me if I'm wrong but did she claim she used the n word because of her experience of being held at gun point by a black robber?

Either way its unacceptable. Neither does her age or the fact that she's from the South excuse it. Lady we're in 2013. By now all of you old folks should know what is and what is not appropriate to say. What is offensive and what's not offensive is pretty crystal clear most of the time.

Its sad cuz she seems like a nice person and quietly I do subscribe to her "eat whatever the hell you want so long as it makes you happy" philosophy. But with this revelation I now have to question whether its morally right for me to even buy a cooking book of hers.. I hope she gets help....

Archived