The Taylor Swift Thread

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Yeah the sensible thing after a 6 year relationship is to take a break but she immediately jumped into relationship.  My speculation is that there was some sort of cheating, whether physical or emotional, when she and Matty recorded a song for Midnights.  Matty and Taylor likely hooked up back in 2015, so when she and Joe were having issues during their last year of their relationship, Matty was there to reconnect In January of this year, she sang at The 1975 concert - she and Joe were still together at this time.  The timeline just looks really bad. 

Exactly!  It was all good for the last 6 years.  Joe Alwyn, come back!!! LOL

Shut up, Khan. How dare you. LOL That would be a nightmare.

Please register in order to view this content

If she marries him or gets pregnant…..[Katherine Chancellor] Dear God in heaven. [/Katherine Chancellor]

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I Can See You is so damn good!! It's a sexy song. LOL  I don't think she has a song that sounds like this.  It reminds me of some Haim songs.  She's BFFs with them so I can see her being influenced by their music.

I enjoyed the video too: the callbacks to the Mean video with Joey King and Presley Cash being in it; Taylor Lautner basically doing the same action moves that he did on his SNL monologue where he attacks a cardboard cutout of Kanye LOL; Taylor's dresses being behind the glass; Speak Now era Taylor literally being in a vault; the floating balcony from the Speak Now Tour; and then them driving over the "1989TV" bridge, signalling that 1989 Taylor's Version is next. 

Electric Touch and Timeless (one of her best love songs) are also favourites of mine from the Speak Now Taylor's Version vault tracks.   I've been waiting/hoping she goes back to more instrument based music, so if she can do something like I Can See You (the indie-rock-pop sound) or Electric Touch (pop-rock/stadium rock type of sound) for her next original album, it would be so amazing.  Please, Taylor!

• Administrator

Billboard News

12 No. 1s: Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) marks Swift’s 12th No. 1 on the Billboard 200, pushing her past Streisand (with 11 No. 1s) for the most chart-toppers among women since the chart began publishing on a regular, weekly basis in March of 1956. Swift ties Drake for the third-most No. 1s among all acts, with only The Beatles (19) and Jay-Z (14) ahead of them.

Swift Has Four of the Top Five Biggest Weeks Since 2019: Since January 2019, four of the top-five biggest weeks, by units earned, have been tallied by the debut frame of a Swift release: Midnights (1.578 million; 2022), Lover (867,000; 2019), Folklore (846,000; 2020) and Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) (716,000; 2023). The only non-Swift week among the top five largest frames since January 2019 is the opening week of Adele’s 30, with 839,000 units in 2021.

2023’s Second-Biggest Selling Album After One Week on Sale: After only one week on sale, Speak Now (Taylor’s Version) is 2023’s second-largest selling album. The year’s top-seller remains Swift’s own Midnights, with 636,000 sold in 2023. Midnights was the top-selling album of 2022, with 1.818 million sold that year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator

OMG!! 1.359 million in pure albums sales and 1.653 million in units! I did not expect 1989 (Taylor's Version) to this well.  There's no way a re-recorded album (with 5 new songs) had her best debut of her career (17 years in).  WHAT!??  I know the original 1989 album was huge, but this was a re-record.  It's not suppose to beat the original.  And it's not suppose to beat Midnights.  This is crazy.  LOL.   Before this, it was just assumed she would never reach the peak of 1989 era back in 2014-2015, but thanks Midnights and The Eras Tour, it has propelled her career to a new height. Also, the Eras Tour will be the highest grossing tour of all time once it's done, and Taylor will be the highest grossing act for a tour (surpassing Madonna).  If there were any doubts that she didn't belong in the same tier as Elvis/The Beatles/Michael Jackson/Madonna, I just don't believe there's any more doubt.  She does belong with those acts, IMO. 

Billboard: Taylor Swift’s ‘1989 (Taylor’s Version)’ Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 With Biggest Week in Nearly a Decade

The re-recorded set bows with the largest week for any album in nearly eight years and Swift's biggest sales week ever.

Taylor Swift’s 1989 (Taylor’s Version) blasts in at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart (dated Nov. 11), scoring the superstar her 13th No. 1 on the chart. The set debuts with 1.653 million equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending Nov. 2, according to Luminate. That marks the largest week for any album, by units earned, since Adele’s 25 launched with 3.482 million units earned in the week ending Nov. 25, 2015.

Further, of 1989 (Taylor’s Version)’s first-week units, traditional album sales comprise 1.359 million of that sum — Swift’s single-largest sales week for any of her albums. It surpasses her previous high, logged when the original 1989 album debuted with 1.287 million sold in the week ending Nov. 2, 2014.

The first-week sales of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) are the largest for any album since Adele’s 25 bowed with 3.378 million. In total, since Luminate began electronically tracking music sales in 1991, the debut of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) marks the sixth-largest sales week for any album. The top six biggest weeks are (all in debut frames):

Adele’s 25 (3.378 million)

*NSYNC’s No Strings Attached (2.416 million, in 2000)

*NSYNC’s Celebrity (1.878 million, 2001)

Eminem’s The Marshall Mathers LP (1.76 million, 2000)

Backstreet Boys’ Black & Blue (1.591 million, 2000)

1989 (Taylor’s Version) (1.359 million).

----------------

https://x.com/chartdata/status/1721270642111139851?s=20

• Members

^^

With all due respect for Taylor's achievements, which are impressive, I would hesitate to put her in the same league as Elvis, Beatles, Madonna etc. They were trailblazers and changed the course of music history. That is something I don't think you can say about Taylor Swift, at least not yet. She's done amazing things, and has acquired a large and loyal fanbase, but she's not broken any new ground. 

• Administrator

I don't think she needs to "change the course of music history" to be in the same tier as them.  LOL. "She's not broken any new ground"......like what do you want her to do?  She's going to have the highest grossing tour and going to be the highest grossing music tour act.  Her Eras Tour Movie made a record 93 million on its opening weekend, becoming the highest grossing concert movie of all time.   The re-records are the most successful re-records in history.  She's in year 17 and still getting her best opening week in sales.  Nobody's getting a million pure sales in their first week anymore, except for Taylor.  She has 3 album of the year Grammys.  I have no doubt she will get a 4th sometime in the next 20 years (I doubt Midnights will win if it's nominated this year), therefore breaking the record, and being the only artist to have 4 AOTY Grammys.  Does she need to this? LOL.

I obviously don't follow closely other artists, but do people show up outside the concert venue just to sing along like Swifties have been doing all throughout the tour?  I honestly have never seen anything like this.  We call it "Taygating" or "Taylor-gating", like how people tailgate during sporting events.  This is just one example from one of Taylor's concerts in Philadelphia back in May:

Over the last 12 months......She's getting people to watch the NFL.  Whenever she attends a Kansas City Chiefs game, the ratings go up, especially in the women demographic - there's a reason why the NFL is fawning all over Taylor because they would love to bring in more of that audience.  She's getting hundreds of thousands of people to register to vote with a single post on social media - and republicans/the far right are hating on her because of this.  There's also been the "Swift Effect" or the "Swift Economy" that's been happening with the Eras Tour at each stop.  Even the American Federal Reserved even mentioned how her tour is boosting the economy. 

To me, she's hit about every metric to be considered in the top tier.  And like I said, to be doing this in year 17 is mind blowing.  All those other acts became huge early in their career right?  She's a 33 year old woman (turning 34 in December) and she's still dominating.  Usually a 33 year old woman's career in pop is done or on the decline.  Just imagine what could happen in the next 6 years before hitting 40 years old. Or what she'll do in her 40's. Beyonce is still going strong at 42 years old and I believe Taylor can do the same at that age.  Taylor still has the potential to set more records. 

• Members

Purely in terms of success Taylor can indeed be counted among the very best, but, and this is only my personal opinion, to be ranked in the highest echelon you have to have made a bigger impact in terms of, for lack of a better expression, breaking new ground. I'm not saying she hasn't had an impressive career. Her results speak for themselves. To reach the sales figures she does nowadays is remarkable. But take the Beatles for instance. When they burst onto the scene they completely altered the music scene. There's a pre-Beatles and a post-Beatles era. Madonna did something similar. She pushed the boundaries and paved the way for other artists. 

Being a juggernaut in terms of record or ticket sales is not enough for me to place someone in the highest category. You don't agree and that's fine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.    

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Taylor caps off her biggest year ever, and of the biggest in music history, with being chosen as Time Magazine's Person Of The Year.  It's the first time someone has been chosen for "achievement in the arts"/doing their job as an entertainer and it wasn't for something else (like when Bono was chosen along with Bill and Melinda Gates in 2005 for their philanthropy).  For me, this just adds to my reasoning that she's in the same category as The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Elvis and Madonna.   2023 solidified her with those music acts.  Time Magazine agrees with me: "Swift’s accomplishments as an artist—culturally, critically, and commercially—are so legion that to recount them seems almost beside the point. As a pop star, she sits in rarefied company, alongside Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and Madonna."   

The funny thing thing is, her tour isn't even half way done, and she still has two more re-records left.  2024 is going to be another huge year for Taylor and her fans. I'm going to be seeing her twice in Europe.  I can't wait!