The Taylor Swift Thread

• Administrator

Whaaaaat!!!?????  There’s been no lead up to this at all!! And it’s possibly a folk/indie pop album???  I’m didn’t think she would go this route at 30 years old. LOL   I figured she do this when she’s older, like in her 40’s or 50’s.  This is too much. I’m on overload right now. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I love The National (of which Aaron Dessner is a member), so I’m interested in seeing how this goes. That sound is certainly not on trend in terms of what gets streamed, but who knows? Her most loyal fans will certainly will follow her anywhere. Not sure what she has to prove anyway.

• Members

I went looking for Kylie Minogue's new song and ended up with a whole new album by Taylor Swift! It's not even a year since her last one.

It's pretty clear this album wouldn't exist were it not for quarantine. I'm just happy it's not years before the next album (with the tour originally happening this summer and then postponed, it started to look like there wouldn't be a new album AT LEAST until late 2021, probably 2022) and that we don't have that four-month wait/build-up, which does drive me crazy a little.

I'm super thrilled to hear what it's all about. It'll be hilarious if she goes to #1 with an album no one knows about lol

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I wonder if we should brace ourselves for an explosion of surprise material from artists who’ve been holed up creating new music. Especially if they have home studios and what-not. It’s been a very slow few months.

I know some artists want to wait until they can support new releases with tours, but who knows when that’s gonna happen at this point. Concerts will likely be one of the last things to return.

• Administrator

I couldn't name one song of theirs, so I just listened to the first two songs that was listed on youtube - "I Need My Girl" and "Light Years".   They're not bad but it's not something I would listen to on a consistent basis.  My music taste is more pop-ish.    However, do want Taylor to go back  to more live instrument based songs with guitars and drums. 

I'm obviously super excited for the new album but I'm also disappointed that the Lover era is officially (maybe?) over.  My guess were that "Cruel Summer" was going to be released in May and "Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince" being released in October.   I am hoping that the "Cruel Summer" video was filmed and she's holding on to it and maybe she'll release it next summer to promote the tour (if there's a vaccine). 

• Administrator

@Faulkner Thanks! Those are a bit better.  Aaron Dessner is credited with 11 songs on the album and that's the most since Max Martin and Shellback with 11 on 1989.  That's a lot of songs for a first time collaborator.  Taylor put a lot of trust in him.    Bon Iver is another artist who I don't listen to - it's just not my style. LOL  I'm curious who "William Bowery" is - he co-wrote 2 songs.  If he's credited on "Betty" then it has to be her boyfriend Joe Alwyn.  Joe's mom's name is Elizabeth and his great-grandfather was named William.  And they went to see a Kings of Leon concert at the Bowery Hotel when they started dating. 

• Members

I do feel sorry for Cruel Summer, it deserves much more than what it's gotten so far. Hopefully it'll have its time to shine.

I was wondering a few days ago when/if Taylor would start to transition back to her country days. This may have been something she wanted to try out. I wonder if this is a change like that -- less pop, more country/folk/indie whatever -- or if we'll still get a lot of pop stuff. She still worked with Antonoff after all.

I can't believe you know all that.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by YRBB

• Administrator

Cruel Summer is such a fan favourite.      She did 3 pure pop albums in a row so maybe she's done with pure pop?  I want my pop-rock-stadium-anthem album! LOL   I honestly did not know all that stuff about Joe until today when people were speculating on "William Bowery".  I like Joe but not enough to research everything about him - I only do that with Taylor. 

• Administrator

I like every song on the album which is what I was hoping for.  LOL. Quick thoughts on the album: the storytelling is really good!  She's a story teller at heart and she proves that with this album.  The production on the songs were simple and beautiful and matched really well with her vocals (I think her vocals are getting better as she gets older). 

So with no singles being released before the album, I'm able to do this now, rank all the songs after just one listen.  I want to see which songs move up or down as I continue to listen to the album.  I have them in three groups and I didn't think the song with Bon Iver would be my #1 off the bat.  LOL.

1. Exile

2. August

3. My Tears Ricochet

4. This Is Me Trying

5. Illicit Affairs

6. Betty

7. Cardigan

8. The Last Great American dynasty

9. Mirrorball

10. The 1

11. epiphany

12. Seven