The Taylor Swift Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

It's so good. I love instrumental outro for the last minute.  The song is one-third of the "Teenage Love Triangle" with the other two songs being"Betty" (from James' POV) and "Cardigan" (from Betty's POV).  "August" (other girl's POV) has such a summer-feeling/nostalgic vibe which fits the feeling of the story (Inez is thinking back to high school when she had an affair with James).   BTW, Inez and James are the Blake Lively/Ryan Reynolds' daughters.  Could Betty be the name of their 3rd child?  LOL

• Members

I’ve seen a few takes comparing this album to my favorite National song, “Pink Rabbits.”

I definitely hear it a little bit, as well as Lana Del Rey and Mazzy Star. (Although I’m not particularly bowled over by the album so far. Her vocals have come a LONG way over the years, I agree.)

Edited by Faulkner

• Administrator

Wow, didn't think the album would do that well on its first day on Spotify.  Must be because of curiosity (from non fans) and the critical acclaim (she's receiving the best reviews of her career).   I'm sure Rihanna and Adele will break Folklore's numbers.  Adele is Adele and there's so much anticipation for Rihanna's next album.  Folklore only came in 2nd behind Drake's Scorpion album which got 132 million - I hope Rihanna or Adele breaks that record. 

• Members

Agree, and I think it’s also timing. There’s the surprise factor, and there’s a real vacuum in music right now, especially with everyone on pause. (Note: She’s also not competing with summer blockbusters for attention, with movie theaters closed.) Look at the songs right behind her on streaming: from DaBaby and Juice WRLD. Those artists are huge with core listeners on streaming services, but not household names who could galvanize audiences of all kinds (where even older listeners will take notice). A big star could really take advantage of this moment with a well-received record. I think even Gaga’s album popped way more than it would have in normal times. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

As much of a hit Pitchfork has taken over the years, they still remain the one outlet whose review people wait for. They gave it an 8.0, which is lower than what they gave Red, Speak Now, and Fearless. I don’t think these scores matter, but it’s funny how they throw people in a tizzy. 

• Administrator

Why is Pitchfork so highly regarded?  To me, I'm going to always have a negative view point towards them because of what they did to Taylor's 1989 album.  They refused to review for 1989 and then when Ryan Adams did a cover of 1989, they decided to review that instead.  It was so sexist.  They also just seem so pretentious. 

It's rising up my ranks.  The lyrics are great!  And the story is pretty dark.  To me it's about an alcoholic (They told me all of my cages were mental / So I got wasted like all my potential.......Pouring out my heart to a stranger / But I didn't pour the whiskey) who's trying to make amends with the person they care about (And maybe I don't quite know what to say / But I'm here in your doorway).   And at one point, they thought about possibly ending it all (Pulled the car off the road to the lookout / Could've followed my fears all the way down).   I also love the production - it reminds me of The Archer.  And I like how Taylor's voice is processed (don't know the correct audio term for it.......reverb maybe?). 

• Members

Pretentious is the key word because they saw themselves as the “thinking person’s music site.” In the early 2000s, they were known for mostly reviewing indie rock music, with a glancing acknowledgment of hip hop. Once they realized that niche alone wasn’t going to pay the bills, as guitar-based music had increasingly fallen out of favor throughout the 2000s, they started trying to take pop more seriously. But you’re right: even as late as TS’s 1989, they didn’t deem her work worth exploring until Ryan Adams came along and validated it.

Slate nailed it a few years ago: their mostly male staff dismissed pop and mainstream country because their audiences were strongly female. And Taylor wasn’t seen as “edgy” enough for them. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Administrator

"Perhaps more interestingly, singer-songwriters Sia and Lady Gaga both used to be reviewed, but after their albums started hitting No. 1, Pitchfork stopped covering them." Geez!!! I can't them take seriously at all.  LOL

Taylor Swift’s ‘Folklore’ Off to Fast Start, Over Half-Million Units Earned in U.S. in First Three Days

"Taylor Swift’s new album Folklore has earned more than 500,000 equivalent album units in the U.S. in its first three days of release, according to initial reports to Nielsen Music/MRC Data.

Of Folklore’s more than 500,000 units tallied in its first three days, album sales power more than 400,000, while the bulk of the remainder is in SEA units."

Lover sold 867,000 units with 679,000 being pure albums in its first week.   Can folklore get 280,000 pure albums in the last 4 days?  Rooting for that to happen. 

• Administrator

The Story Behind Every Song on Taylor Swift’s folklore According to the National’s Aaron Dessner.

If you've reached your limit on the site, you can read it here.

"I sent it before I went on a run, and when I got back from the run, that song was there."  That made laugh. 

What was interesting was that on some of the songs, Aaron sent Taylor instrumentals and then she wrote the lyrics to them.  She doesn't do that too often. Off the top of my head, I can only think of "I Wish You Would" (Jack Antonoff).   Most of the time, it's Taylor coming up with the lyrics and melodies, and then bringing the partially written song to her collaborator. 

• Members

Thank you all for talking about it.

I haven't had time to listen to it...I might while I'm writing in a little while...but what little I have heard, what stood out for me were the lyrics. Taylor has always had excellent lyrics, but it felt other level to me. But the music was giving me JT's last cd vibes and my feelings on that cd over time has become mixed.

But...you all give me hope that I am probably in the wrong headspace and need to listen properly. If you all love it, I am sure I will as well.