Classic Soap Books/Bios

• Members

I was reading the Search for Tomorrow thread in the cancelled soaps area and found that Mary Stuart wrote a book in the 80s called Both of Me and wrote about her career in it.

I was wondering what other actors and actress wrote books from back in the day? I picked up Stuarts on amazon and cant wait to read it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really need to pick up a used copy next time I buy amazon.

I hope Agnes Nixon hasn't dropped plans to do her memoirs--though I guess she's pretty busy right now (even if she is just a consultant.)

Remember a few years back Irna Nixon's half written memoir was discovered and was going to be published? What became of that?

Oh and don't forget Ellen Holly's book which has some pretty dishy stuff about how Rauch treated her, etc.

• Members

I've read the Grayson Hall bio and enjoyed it, as well as the Louis Edmunds bio called "Big Lou." Others I've read:

"Like Sands Through the Hourglass" by Bill Hayes and Susan Seaforth Hayes

"The Days of My Life" by Macdonald Carey

"Eight Years in Another World" by Harding Lemay

"Uncommon Knowledge" by Judy Lewis (most of the book is about the secret of Clark Gable being her father but she does talk a little about Secret Storm, General Hospital, and Texas)

• Members

Katherine Phillips donated Irna Phillips unpublished autobiography, "All My Worlds," to the University of Wisconsin Historical Society, or whatever state historical society houses Irna Phillips scripts and personal papers. Several people have accessed it, including Lynn Liccardo, who I believe once wrote for one of the soap magazines. Liccardo references it several times in several different entries on her blog. I linked to one of the entries below

http://redroom.com/member/lynn-liccardo/blog/the-iconoclastic-world-irna-created

• Members

I stumbled across Liccardo's blog while looking for information on a man who wrote an article on Irna Phillips; his last name is White. He was referenced in a book I was reading, "The Fan Who Knew Too Much." This book covers a multitude of topics, but one of them is radio soaps. The author, Anthony Heilbut, does a nice job weaving a narrative of early soaps with interesting details about the behind the scenes personalities and the onscreen story. While the book is a decent length, only fifty or so pages are devoted to the radio soaps. The man had previously posted some of his work on an old time radio soap opera board, but the book goes into so much more detail. I believe Liccardo references this book in her blog because the source material, the article based on Phillips life by White, misinterprets Phillips words.

• Members

Elaine Lee who played Mildred Trumble on The Doctors has co-authored some books. She is also a playwright and artist too. But most importantly she is/was a prolific comic book writer and graphic novel writer. She has written a number of titles for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse and Moonstone comics. Maybe not quite what the OP was asking about but I had to give her a shout out. She is an amazing talented lady. She was nominated for an Emmy for her role as Mildred too.

Archived