AMC: Thursday, May 09, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because of the overall balance of the show. There are a lot of dark storylines now (what happened to David's apparently dead baby, killer JR awaking from coma, Celia's controlling guardian, Miranda being bullied) and it might have been better to balance it out with something more optimistic for the socially relevant storyline. Later on, there might be more light stories when they could have a darker socially relevant story. But I agree, even later on I might have found it hard to watch something so graphic. Anyway it's okay, they've made their choice -- now they'll just play it out.

Glad the accent fits fine for a "native" ear. It just doesn't sound like the other characters so it stands out and aggravates me a little, but maybe it's actually better than most of the others' generic accents.

• Members

After year upon year of stupid "soapy" stories based on little more than bad science fiction and utter laziness, (hello Project Orpheus) I'm ready for some good old-fashioned dark social issue drama. I just hope PP doesn't pull punches. So far, I'm hopeful. If this were on the network I doubt we would've gotten a shot of the woman laying in the dumpster. I took that as a sign that PP is willing to go dark for this story and I hope they do. 

• Members

This reboot is embarrasingly bad. The whole thing looks thrown together. All the pieces don't fit. It's like Frankenstein's monster. I don't think it's going to get better. They need to rethink the whole concept. The show should be built around Bianca and Dixie to start to give the place some heft. Most of the acting by the newbies is god awful. I know folks think the Miranda actress is decent but on Thurs episode her eyes kept wandering. The band in the living room was terrible idea. The actor who plays AJ comes across so gay that it's impossible to get into his pairing with Miranda. The Cassandra plot is depressing and pointless. This show is worse off than OLTL. I thought McPherson/Snyder might show some promise but they are lightweights with little cutting edge imagination. JR waking up after five years with coiffed hair do and Angie promising to run some tests felt like a high school production. Ginger Smith is at fault here. A sharp EP wouldn't have let that all go down that way. Time to overhaul fast!

• Members

Which is ironic, since they had one strangled in the ladies' room. (Sorry, MissLlanviewPA.)

IRL, Eric Nelsen is engaged to a girl. Not that that means anything -- she could be his beard -- but I felt like that point needed mentioning.

• Members

Do you not think JR's mother, who has been there everyday, wouldn't assure that his hair looked good? "Too bad she didn't do something about his nails.", they all said in unison.

I do think JR shouldn't have been able to speak as well as he did. He was way too coherent and should've shown more shock that it's been 5 years.

I don't think the show is embarrassingly bad but I do think it's pretty...not good. It's gotten better. Those first few episodes were ROUGH. The production was rushed and looked it. I don't care if the sets were sturdy, the dialogue and editing was awful. Thursday was probably the best episode so far.

That was no darker than most of the stuff we've gotten on daytime. We've had women strangled on screen, raped, murdered...Daytime's not been shy to show violence.

• Members

I do know that at least one of the shows had to be filming by the end of Feb, and AMC was the show chosen. I know a couple of the actors said that they had some kinks they were working through during the first two weeks of filming.. and it does show up.

I also read somewhere that they film scenes out of order then edit them together.

The show isn't horrible, but like I said, the show has more to rebuild then OLTL did so I'm giving it at least 6 weeks to work out the kinks.

Mcpherson had some decent ideas on DAYS (i.e. Madison character would have totally fit on AMC, Jack's PTSD story, and the horton Square being established to help reestablish Salem as a community), so hopefully Agnes might help her with pacing.

• Members

Finally caught up on last week's AMC. I get that the whole trafficking thing is timely and a real issue and all that, but I just don't care. Cassandra is a character no one has seen since 2006 or so, and she wasn't a vital character then either. Beyond a general "God, what a horrible position for any woman to be in" thought, I am not emotionally invested in this story yet. Colby, Maya, Miranda, Kathy, Emma... someone we'd recently seen would have been a more compelling victim, IMHO.

I can't believe Jesse isn't telling Angie yet. Did the man not learn ANYTHING from the whole Ellie/Lucy debacle?

I really hate Dixie. Yes, JR is her son, she's going to defend him. Whatever. He brought a loaded gun to that party, he set up an alibi with the pilot, and he used Scott's phone to lure Marissa and Bianca there. He was clearly going to kill Marissa and possibly Bianca as well, grab his son and flee. David stopped that but couldn't save his daughter, and yet David is still the town pariah.

I LOVED David's interaction with AJ. I see so much of Adam and David both in AJ, and I really would love to see AJ develop a relationship with his Grandpa David. I really hope that Dixie's "Poor JR" routine drives AJ away.

AJ and Miranda were cute. They're infinitely more enjoyably than Pete/Celia. I like the whole mysterious guardian bit, but it's clear that Jordan Lane Price is a new actress and is still learning. I'm hoping she gets better soon. My theory du jour about the guardian is that she's really Alex and Dimitri's daughter.

Cara... God, someone please feed her a cheeseburger. She is wasting away. The very first behind the scenes pic of AMC's reboot that I saw was of LH, VI, and JV, and I said then that I thought Cara's cancer was back because LH looked scary-skinny. I'm losing interest in the whole 'what happened to the baby' story because 1. I'm sick of David losing children, 2. I dislike Griffin's 'let me protect you from big, bad David' act, and 3. Cara is still just whiny and annoying.

• Members

she's so !@#$%^&*]-ing boring! what does Petey see in this bitch? As for MiMo and AJ I just don't feel her end at all. JR is going to call him a loser, I need to see some other slut trying to get AJ first. This is too MiMo needs this and that and this. I don't get why my friend is obsessed w/ them either. I don't feel it. I know AJ likes her, that I know and feel. But MiMo is stuck up and a tease.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

As always I'm very far behind, so I just watched this.

Very disjointed episode - we see Cassandra being taken away to be raped, and then we get a musical performance and teen romance.

The best parts were Angie trying to find Cassandra, mixed with Jesse and Zach finding the girl in the dumpster - the scenes on location are done in a way which is obviously budget but still works well.

Some bad acting in the scenes with Cassandra and the other ladies. The blonde had some potential (the actress I mean).

I just can't care about Pete and Celia. It's mostly him. She's bland but with a different partner I would care more. He's just very plastic. I wonder if Eric Nielsen would have been better as Pete (without the womanizer aspect).

The Miranda/AJ stuff was OK. I am not sure I see romantic chemistry, I'd prefer a friendship. I wish she'd lose the bangs.

I thought the scenes with Dixie and JR were decent enough. I'm not quite connecting with her on here but I did when he was asking if she'd always been there with him and she said yes. I liked how low-key the scene was.

If you didn't know better you'd think that Cara/Griffin scene was straight out of Passions. I actually burst out laughing when she was staring out the door, with that terrified, wild look on her face. This is all very strangely dated, but it isn't a bad story, as it at least has some energy and Vincent Irizarry is doing a terrific job. Still, Cara and Griffin veer the line into camp more often than not.

• Members

I'm sorry you don't like Pete - I think he's great. Smooth and often arrogant, yes, but I think that's the character and RW plays him to the hilt. I didn't expect much from a guy coming off The Price is Right but he's been fantastic. The character isn't always nice, but he works. And he looks so much like James Mitchell to me.

• Members

He does look like James Mitchell.

There's just no real connection to the role, and Pete has no real connection to the canvas. I don't feel anything with him. I see Rob Wilson smiling a lot. He's not bad, but the role is very slim.

Archived