AMC: Thursday, May 09, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Members

:lol:

They couldn't make it weirder if they tried. "Here we have a sweeping shot of our young heroine coming down the stairs looking good in her brand new, fancy dress... I know! The guitar riff will be perfect for this!"

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well in that caseit can NEVER leave. I'd love it if for some reason in post production they messed up and used it at the start of an Adam Brooke scene or something.

You really should do the weekly previews. "Thursday: Whining Cassandra gets dragged off, sleepy murderer wakes up."

• Members

Good:

David and Angie, David and Cara, Angie and JR, Dixie and JR, Pete and Celia communicating (I don't agree with the criticism that the show has rushed them together ... They would have been content never to talk to each other again if Celia hadn't by chance explained why she stood him up ... There has been no deep undying love right away. Pete tried to track her down initially with some Internet stalking and quizzing of her friend, which I can buy, but it's not like he was super torn up or desperate about it.)

WTF:

Being reminded this is a soap with the admittedly "cheesy" AJ/Miranda stuff and the stiff acting from the guesting musical act ... Far far away from realism ... I will say I was less bothered by Eric Nelsen and Denyse Tontz's acting this episode though.

Hate the guitar riff ... It seems Disney and it's the worst thing they could have gotten from Disney. If they were going to use anything Disney, I wish they had Disney Channel writers writing these teens (not joking -- Disney Channel writers know what will appeal to teens and have created hits like High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place etc.); I'm sorry but I'm not buying the teens on this show right now at all.

Grim:

Cassandra's storyline is too depressing. I can see how it would be socially worthy to do it but I wish they had attempted this a few months in. It's too painful to see beaten-up looking, drug addicted, raped women in every episode, and seems too dark when trying to establish the rebirth of the show.

Starting to bother me:

Robert Scott Wilson's accent

Cliffhanger:

There wasn't one and there should have been. They should have ended on David asking Cara about having had an abortion as the final scene, and maybe had her say "yes" or "no, it was --" to that while waiting for an explanation on Monday. They could have ended on Jesse and Angie too.

Instead they chose AJ and Miranda hugging after the totally awkward, fake private performance by the band as the final scene -- who cares? It's questionable decisions like this that are keeping the show from being good, instead of just mediocre. This is the end of the week, they should be making me neeeed it to be Monday.

• Members

I will agree with you regarding the cliffhanger, and that could have been fixed by rearranging the last three scenes. I would have started off with the AJ/Miranda scene ending with them just about to kiss, then the Cara/David scene, and finally with the Jesse/Angie scene as he is about ready to tell her about Cassandra.

However, I think that the human trafficking story is interesting.. though I bet if the show had been able to get back the actress who played Natalia then I think the story would have been even better. AMC use to do ripped from the headline stories and I think showcasing this story proves that the show is breaking free from the abuse heaped onto it while at ABC.

The guitar riff intro for the teen section has to go, though I do agree that the show needs at least one younger writer on the staff (OLTL has one or two) but not from a Disney show since you don't want to scare away the grown-up viewers either LOL.

I am glad you are finding some positives about All My Children since you always seem to find positive things about DAYS (a show with many many flaws amongst some fairly decent dialogue). However, DAYS and AMC are vastly different shows so maybe the two shows attract different types of fans. Some of my friends that love DAYS dislike AMC so maybe that is true.

With that said, I'm giving AMC six weeks minimum since they had to rebuild the canvas, etc.

• Members

The actor is from Boston, so it's probably a Boston accent. I don't know those northeastern accents that well but it doesn't sound Pennsylvania to me.

I agree with doing "ripped from the headlines"/socially relevant/current stories as a whole, but I just find the choice of this one too disturbing right now. I just wish they had chosen something else to start with and done this later when there might have been more light stuff to balance it out. I like your idea about Natalia, Soaplovers, although I would still have been disturbed.

I also like your rearrangement of the final scenes to create a more solid cliffhanger.

DAYS right now is feeling to me like AMC did under Lorraine Broderick or Richard Culliton, who are both on the staff there. I don't see this character-driven version of DAYS to be a radically different show from AMC.

• Members

This makes no sense. Why would a human trafficking storyline be less disturbing later as opposed to now?

I'm from Connecticut. Born, raised and, unfortunately, currently living here. Believe me, you're splitting hairs if you're calling this guy's "Boston accent" into question. I've worked with a lot of transplants and that accent is unmistakable. Being from this area, where I hear Boston, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Long Island accents regularly, this guy isn't as strong as you're making it out to be. Maybe what you're hearing is a New England accent, which might be why I can't distinguish it. That's the "accent" people in this area take on when trying to sound "proper."

Archived