Tyler Perry's new AIDS morality movie!

EricMontreal22

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was on the fence before, but now I HAVE to see this movie. Tyler Perry's films are always these horrific, bigoted, misogynistic, hilarious camp classics written by a man who - well, he's got some deep, deep, deep issues, is all I'll say.

• Members

I was mildly curious about this movie mainly for Jurnee Smolett but at the same time I wasn't in the mood to line Perry's pockets. But now, this feels like the black melodrama version of the Twilight movies and I kind of want to experience this hot mess in the theatre. But like the Twilight movies, I'll probably get high before I do. (What? I'm not a masochist.)

I hate, hate, HATE the way Tyler Perry has become The Official Filmmaker For All of Black America. His views of women, LGBT, morality, love, sex and religion are completely fucked-up. At the same time, I'm grateful for the fact that he features imagery of black people who are middle-class or wealthy, educated, business-oriented, etc... even though his portrayals are often...flawed to say the least.

• Members

I didn't know anyone found Tyler Perry misogynistic because up until recently, I have only encountered the fan club and some buffoonery criticism. I read this a couple of years agoL

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/07/AR2010110704428.html

Since I don't ever plan to go to see one of his movies, he won't ever disappoint me. The last time I attempted to watch one of his "very funny" shows, I got a dose of his take on a Waiting to Exhale scene.

I was surprised that some of his followers went bonkers over his casting Kim Kardashian because of some "she stole our man" nonsense.

• Members

He markets to the urban audience and his material isn't well received outside of that audience, which includes many who have seen his plays. The genre he writes in generally does have a moral/religious message and it's very cultural. His films aren't perfect, but I am glad that someone is putting black actors to work who would otherwise not get leading parts or parts at all.

• Members

I had no idea she had grown into such a marvelous actress until I saw her in The Great Debators. I was super impressed, but I no longer have a desire to see this movie. I have given TP too much of my money only to leave the theaters looking for ways to get a refund.

I'm hoping she will get lots of work. This young starlet is certainly soon to be Oscar worthy, not that it means much these days.

• Members

You never seen his movies? If not, (IMO) he makes a lot of his female characters, the subservient ones, "Mary-Sue" types. They eventually have to find redemption in a man rather than introspection and relying on themselves (i.e. Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Why did I get Married, Madea's Family Reunion). A lot of his AA male characters are demonized--not saying that there aren't bad AA men out there, but it's becoming TOO recurring in his films. Same with some of his women characters either being rape victims/molested by their daddy, etc. The first time these issues are addressed is fine, but in every other film, I start to worry.

Tyler is fine with me b/c he is one of few AA directors/writer/producer in Hollywood that is getting work and keeping doors open for the rest of us that want to walk through that door eventually; HOWEVER, it's a hindrance b/c of his films. I feel that many studios will only hire black writers if they engage in (excuse my French ppl) "coonery" rather than telling impactful, intelligent stories. Tyler has the potential to tell good stories, but he needs someone behind him to rein him in.

Archived