Tyler Perry's new AIDS morality movie!

EricMontreal22

• Members

The ending of Why Did I Get Married 2 is still one of the craziest things I have ever seen in my life. I just don't know what color the sky is in that man's world.

I would mention the weird 1973 Paul Lynde stereotype on the train at the beginning of the first film but that is a whole other issue. Mostly I'm sad that Jurnee Smollett - who I've been waiting to see really break out as an adult actress for years - had to do something like this. She could be anywhere.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must be incredibly blinder than Stevie Wonder because I never saw it.  But then again I live in Fantasyland until someone points out certain things.  Black is black is black, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't keep up with black people worried about how someone lighter is getting something that they were never going to get anyway.  I'm sure the grandmaster or whatever of the KKK isn't sitting around concerned about separating black people based on skin tone.  And why should he when enough dark people are busy working n it?

And now light has apparently taken on a whole new look because I never would have pegged Lamman Rucker as light.  Maybe it's a relative term now, in which case he is lighter than Richard T. Jones.  But since Tyler Perry is equal opportunity, as far as my blind eyes can see, then I shouldn't even be dabbling in the crazy. 

I haven't seen this in awhile....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WFY2kJ96jNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Honestly? It was amazing throughout 90% of the film. It wasn't until the big HIV reveal that it went downhill and fast....I honestly was caught up from the very beginning. It had a fair amount of funny moments mixed in with a lot of touching/heartbreaking scenes.

For example the scene outside the club where the husband (who's name eludes me now) pleads with Judith to come back to him and literally tears are falling from his face? I almost lost it then.

The whole seduction scene on the airplane...I know some will find it controversial but I still go back and forth as to whether or not it was even rape. I'm not trying to start any drama but it was a very weird scene. Yes I hear her saying "No" and fighting him off but it almost seemed to me (as a viewer that is) that she deep down really wanted him....

Its just the horrible ending the message that it delivers which ruined the film for me....

On a more shallow note both leading men were hot as hell. The husband was to die for....

• Members

You think so? Part of me agrees with you but at the same time I feel like a work as powerful as FCG is exactly the kind of thing that is perfect for re-interpretation. I remember seeing the PBS movie/telefilm/whatever back in the early 80s. I was just a tween and I understood very little of the words and concept but I remember how viscerally it affected me. I had no idea how much "Someone almost walked off with all of my stuff!" would mean to me one day regardless of whether it was recited by Alfre Woodard or Loretta Devine.

http://youtu.be/cOy8XmA9hBc

http://youtu.be/3yd9eJRecAk

Honestly, I'd like to see FCG done over and over again regardless of whether it's TV, film, theatre or the web.

• Members

Between the bizarre move on Miss Jackson's part to have a drag queen pop out of her husband's cardboard "birthday cake," having her husband drive off to his death after she eviscerates him at his workplace, her forcing the other couples to resolve all their differences in the E.R. in, like, twenty seconds (or however long that montage was) in true Penny "I Told Him They Would Fit!" Woods fashion, and then her possibly finding love again with (yep, he's light-skinned, too) Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson...? Between all that, I'd have to agree.

Yeah. After people complained publicly about the issue, he changes up his game. Pretty sneaky, bro.

• Members

Shange's use of language in depicting the full spectrum of "Sistahood" is, IMO, one of the play's most extraordinary qualities. FCG is powerful because of the words each woman uses to relate her experiences to the audience. That's difficult to replicate in a non-theatrical production beyond a mere taped stage performance. What is startling live and on stage is awkward and stilted on camera, especially when it is forced to co-exist with Tyler Perry's imprecise, overly melodramatic dialogue.

• Members

OMG, the drag queen in the birthday cake is one of the most outrageous things I've ever seen in anything, and the fact that it was all played serious as a heart attack...GOD.

I really, really want someone to sit him down and ask him about his gay issues. To be quite frank and honest, I think he's deeply in the closet, and it's eating away at him inside. He's his generation's Luther.

• Members

I may be wrong, but isn't it possible that one may be paying attention and still not come to the same conclusion as some others may have?

It's an opinion and not a fact....but then all the people sharing the same opinion probably believe it's a fact which would make everyone else blind, wrong, etc.

Tyler Perry has his followers who apparently love his work enough to go out and support him. Until they stop, he'll keep churning out whatever half-constructed "life lessons" he thinks will sell.

I'm amazed that people are inclined to count how many times Quentin Tarantino uses a certain word in his movies, who is dark, darker and darkest in Tyler Perry's movies but these things are apparently extremely important to some people.

• Members

It was bigotry played for laughs. I couldn't even be offended, though, really, by either that or the Paul Lynde type on the train in the first film. Because those "gags," as well as everything else in the films, seems constructed by someone whose emotional and intellectual development was arrested and mangled at about fifteen. It's literally what a teenage kid would've come up with, it's so bizarre and juvenile, so broad and ridiculous. The dialogue, the performances, characters, actions bear no resemblance to real life.

In other news, water is wet.

Archived