Tyler Perry's 'Haves and Have Nots' on OWN

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I ALMOST wish I had watched this current "season," but, as enjoyably horrendously awful as I kinda found the show, I simply didn't have the time--I appreciate the thread to sorta keep track of it.

I noticed that the promos for the series have gone from the very early ones--where they seemed to be trying to pretend this was a deep, Oprah-bookclub-approved, literary drama about heavy social themes, to the last one I randomly saw on TV which made it clear it was all about the camp.

Vintage Tyler Perry dialogue for this show!

• Members

That had to be the longest most dreadful hour in the history of episodic television.

It felt like I had been watching it for 3 hours. I apologize moRon Carlivati. You are not the absolute worst. Bottom of the barrel? Absolutely, but Perry is lower than the soil housing the barrel! My God!

• Members

Looks like Adrian Bellani will be playing Eva Tamargo's son again, I'm sure that the intern in awe of Jim will turn out to be his child with Celine.

And Candace's son is dead, which wasn't so much of a surprise, but next week will still be interesting.

The District Attorney is sloppy, that's an aspect of the writing that I think is weak. Hanna hasn't given a statement yet, but the District Attorney already has a warrant for Wyatt's arrest, and this is after Wyatt was "cleared" of the hit and run.

• Members

Caught this show for the first time the other day. Are the scenes always so long and repetitive? When that weird as hell girl (That scene with Tika on the phone!? Is the girl on drugs?) ran off with sketchy dude, the brother and mother asked the maid how could she let her leave no less than twenty times.

• Members

Good Lord.

It reminded me of a local soap from the '80s, like The Catlins or Another Life. Particularly the white mother.

I didn't realize that was Adrian B. from Passions. I thought that was really bold and unprofessional for that guy (who for a hot second I thought was the doctor from DOOL who was stripping on the side) to ask him if he was into older dudes when he was staring at Bo Duke.

A few months ago, my cousin was watching the after show they do, I could hear it from the other room, and a woman was giving an impassioned blood of Jesus/by His stripes my son is healed speech. I put two and two together and put a face to the voice while watching on Sunday. She seems like a good actress from what I saw.

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad that this show exists. It could just use a little more pep. I think it should only be 30 minutes. It would be more energized that way. The drawn out dialogue reminded me of 90 minute episodes of Another World that I've seen.

• Members

Tyler's problem (again) is that he needs to surround himself around writers that'll call him out on his bull sh*t writing. Hell an entire staff to check him. Being the cheap bastard he is, he'd rather do all the roles himself instead of hiring experienced production members.

His vision overall is OK. It's the breakdown, dialogue, general logic, the reliance on cliches, and tomfoolery that occurs in the scripts that kills him each and every time.

For him to be such a HUGE soap fan (preferably Y&R) and to have modeled HAHN after the classic soaps, why hasn't he reached out to unemployed soap writers to help with his vision? If I was him, I'd be sitting down with Kay & Jack, picking their brains and then devising the best writing team I could find. Also, he lives in Atlanta. So does Vicky Rowell, who has a plethora of experience on soaps. I know they run the same social circles (as Atlanta ain't THAT big), so why hasn't he reached out to her? She'd be one of the people to help put the train back on the tracks....