Y&R: Discussion for the Month of March

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, Michael and Kevin were sufficiently redeemed. I hated both of them at the time of their crimes but I can accept [what is to me] real redemption when it is presented because I want to enjoy being entertained by Y&R. It has been a part of my life, almost every day of the week for 40 years.

Phyllis was made to suffer quite a bit. Watching her daughter bond with her sister who was dating her not yet ex-husband was satisfying to me. Is she redeemed for running down Paul and Christine? No. What she did was revealed to everyone in GC and the court. It wasn't the facts or evidence about that crime that got her off but rather Christine misrepresenting the details of her job at the time. I think Christine's character was set up to be one that many people would hate. Not unlike Taylor on B&B. It is a very different situation with Adam, his crimes, and his victims.

I need for characters to be redeemed when they do the kinds of things that Adam has done, or send them to prison or kill them or write them off of the show. I cannot and won't watch a show "for entertainment" that is as frustrating as Adam getting the free pass for what he has done is. He lives in a mansion, runs Newman, and has Sharon and Chelsa pining for him. On what planet would that happen? It shouldn't be happening on Y&R. They know better. And they know we know they know better.

• Members

Thank goodness that I missed that rubbish. I did not mind when Michael and Phyllis were close. It made sense. They were both pariahs, but for Michael to be romantically involved with the woman that he tried to rape and then to become good friends with her and Paul is downright ridiculous. Kevin's friendship with Mac and Daniel was tolerable, but for him to become good friends with Lily, J.T., and later Colleen and then accepted by the Abbotts was too much.

TPTB have no sense of boundaries. I often wish I could sit in the writers' room or their conference calls to hear how they rationalize this kind of crazy writing. They must reside in an echo chamber that has no relationship to reality.

• Members

I'm glad I missed that one too.

I think MS might be trying to present a revisionist version of events on that one. To me, it seems like Phyllis was almost obsessive in her hatred for Sharon, while Sharon, who at first was angry, in the end just wanted Phyllis to stay away from her.

When MS mentioned how much Phyllis will always love Jack, it came as a bit of a surprise to know how much she's now shipping Phyllis w/ Jack. Fine by me, since at this point, I don't see either one of them with anyone else-- they may be so-so with each other but they no longer work with other pairings either at this point.

• Members

I really agree about Adam. His baby stealing antics were so lurid and over the top, I can't get past it. Didn't he startle Ashley so that she fell down the stairs, and had a messy miscarriage on the floor, which he somehow managed to clean up and hide? Those are such psychotic actions that his being with any half-way healthy woman seems extremely hard to believe.

• Members

The fan rationalization was, he didn't mean to cause her to have a miscarriage, and hey, she was so old, it must have been a phantom pregnancy anyway!

Never mind that he continued to gaslight her after she went to the hospital spotting.

Archived