AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

For those complaining about this video, have you never seen this sort of thing done for other TV shows? Have you never seen shows where they make fun little web videos for the fans? Because this isn't new, it isn't some brainstorm that PP had that's destined to fail and it isn't advertising. It's fan service pure and simple. Here are some examples of similar things from other shows:

Leverage on TNT:

Psych on USA (They have a whole series of these. They call them "Psych Outs"):

The Good Wife:

PP obviously looked at how other shows build relationships with viewers and decided to follow that example. It astounds me that anybody would have a problem with this but I guess some folks are just going to stay stuck in "It's different, KILL IT!!!" mode.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess so many of David's children have died they needed to specify the cause.

I think that there are elements of websoaps which AMC and OLTL should learn from, but honing in on Venice just seems like an attempt at starfucking or brownnosing. It also seems like a waste of a radio show.

Can someone out there who has their own radio show talk about how AMC and OLTL will only thrive if they bring in Melanie Smith, Kathryn Hays, Maeve Kinkead, Lisa Brown, Stephen Schnetzer, Helen Gallagher, Don Hastings, Sarah Felder, etc. For me?

• Members

I was just saying it had soap opera stereotypes I wasn't making a judgment call beyond that. (The one thing I've found funny is the whole Jill Larson not acting enough like a mom in scenes with Robert Scott Wilson mention as I felt that was funny. Something called inappropriate chemistry and have things like that and then with Ryan Bittle and Cady McClain...)

CarlD2 if I knew how to do a web radio show, I'd do one like that just for you. :)

The bad lip synching didn't make me laugh either. It just isn't my sense of humor.

• Members

I can't take this whining over a goddamn YouTube channel promo seriously nor the fact that people are even deciding not to get "angry" about it for that matter. It was just a fun, comedic little spot done for people who do watch and enjoy the TOLN shows - who also have YouTube accounts - to add this channel to their YT subscriptions list. That's all. Things are being taken way out of context just to have something to dislike or bitch about and I don't get that.

• Members

My goodness. I didn't even notice people were bitching about the YT video. It's just in fun! things that ABC didn't allow to connect w/ it's fucksaken (yes I made that word up just now) fans.

To anyone who has a problem w/ that video and bitches about how it ruins the brand

b3x43l.gif

• Members

So went onto the Devious maids website, and see that the Lea marquez actress is a cast member.. could explain how she was able to talk to Susan Lucci and ask if she was coming back. I'm wondering if her part in DM isn't as large as SL, hence why she was able to start work on AMC during the 2nd filming cycle.

• Members

"Ruined the brand"? I wouldn't have gone THAT far. But I did think the video was typical of individuals who possess a narrow-minded view of soaps and who are too lazy or ignorant (or whatever) not only to look beyond the stereotypes and tell what ELSE soaps are about, but also to realize that the better soap operas, in fact, don't do all the crazy [!@#$%^&*] that the video lampooned. I felt that there was a way to make that kind of video that would have been fun and light-hearted without "going there." And I wish I had said that last night instead of making that outrageous, offensive analogy. :(

• Members

I have to ask, what are these better soap operas you refer to?

I find it interesting when people get upset about what they call the stereotyping of soaps when from what I've seen, especially in the last 5-10 years is that they aren't stereotypes, they're a fairly reasonable depiction of what the genre has been giving us. I say this as someone who attends sci-fi conventions. I know what it's like when the "mainstream" makes fun of you. I also know what it's like when that mocking has been earned.

• Members

I think your next paragraph answers that question better than I could, marceline. When you look at what the genre has become, especially in comparison to what it USED to be, folks such as I have NO leg to stand on, so to speak. If anything, that video played it safe when it came to sending up cliches, and the actual stuff is far campier than that.

It's days like these when I wonder why I even BOTHER with these shows anymore.

Archived