Star Trek Into Darkness

Marco Dane

• Members

Okay, I guess I need to say that I was kidding with my above posts. Yes, there's a debate in the Trek community and that's certainly not the only one. (You haven't seen hell until you've seen ST:TNG tech fans debating how the communicators work). But I was just trying to interject some levity.

For the record, I think sci-fi fans and soap fans are pretty much the same. Among other characteristics, both have a deep-seated reverence for canon/history, a single-minded, often unhealthy, attachment to actors and characters and a hypersensitivity to criticism from the mainstream. As Khan said, soap fans have no room to judge any other fan base.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this movie. Not just because I'm a Trekker but because, thanks to Sherlock, I've kind of fallen in love with Benedict Cumberbatch.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally understood what you were going for, I was just making a general comment on how disturbing some fanbase arguments can be.

For the record, I personally would not want to be associated with a word - I am after all a person and not a thing. I typically find humour in these things though.

Totally agreed.

• Administrator

I thought it was Trekkie too.

I don't believe JJ was a Star Trek fan growing up - he says he was more of a Star Wars fan.

I think that's one of the reasons why Paramount gave the franchise to JJ. And I am one of those people - I never watched Star Trek (TV show or movies) before but I really enjoyed the first reboot movie and I can't wait to see STID. I really like the new cast.

• Members

I like to think that we sci fi fans are more intellectual since many of us are scientists and engineers, but after reading the raving debates and often irrational arguments among fans of various sci fi franchises, I have been forced to conclude that we are not that much different to soap fans and even more rabid in some respects.

• Members

That ain't the half of it. Believe it or not, I got into a MAJOR e-mail fight with my friend and former high school classmate over his script (he's a screenwriter in NYC) because he had his main character watching B&B...in the 1970's.

Him: "C'mon, who's gonna care about that stuff?"

Me: "I CARE YOU DUMB MUTHAFUCKA! I. CARE."

• Members

I think soap fans are more rabid but only by a hair because there's plenty of new material being added to the sci-fi genre whereas soap fans are left fighting over the same things over and over.

Good for you. Small stuff like that pulls (some) people out of the story. I remember watching an episode of Criminal Minds that was set in Cleveland. They were talking about how there must be a serial killer in East Cleveland because they had nine murders over three years. Nine murders in East Cleveland is pretty much a slow Tuesday. The residents of East Cleveland would be doing backflips in the street to only have nine murders in three years. The details matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived