Star Trek Into Darkness

Marco Dane

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always have a tough time getting past how wrong so much of the casting is and how many of the actors seem to be caricatures. Or why one of the most charismatic roles in TV history (James Kirk) was cast with a man who has the charisma of a dead tree. Or why Uhura was basically turned into a slampiece.

The next Sherlock is starting shooting this March and will be on the air by the end of 2013 (not sure about US airings).

• Members

Yeah, I was not a fan of the first one, but I was never a diehard Trekkie anyway.

I thought I had heard that the next Sherlock was scheduled to be filmed in late 2013, but will on BBC One in early 2014. PBS typically airs the series 3-4 months after the UK transmission (but, I'd rather download the UK transmission, as I can't stand the PBS editing for Masterpiece).

• Members

I'd heard they film in March, but maybe they changed it.

I just couldn't get past the casting and how much Abrams took away the spirit of the original. And then I got to read all the reviews which basically said Abrams was the ideal and far better than the original Star Trek could ever be. I've never been a big Trek fan (it took a long time before I even got into TOS), but that offended me.

• Members

Yeah, I didn't get the sense that Abrams was able to capture the feel of the original series in the first installment (and that's sure to be the case again with this one), and his take on it just made it feel like he was living out something else vicariously though these characters and the legacy of it all. I think the Abrams movies are geared towards people who would have little to no interest in Star Trek in the first place, though.

But different strokes for different folks. A lot of people seemed to enjoyed the first one, I guess.

Here's the Sherlock article from EW: http://insidetv.ew.c...-season-3-date/

• Members

Someone once tried to correct Gene Roddenberry when he said, "Trekkie." He responded that it was "Trekkie" and that he should know because he made it up. However, the "Trekkie" vs. "Trekker" debate goes on in the Star Trek fan community. I prefer "Trekker" myself, but I bow the greatness that was Gene Roddenberry.

Btw, I thought the first Star Trek reboot movie was great. I also thought that Abrams did a fantastic job with the recasts. His only mistake was casting Chris Hemsworth as Kirk's father instead of James T. himself.

Archived