DRW50

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

FWIW, to @Faulkner and @DRW50 who are the only people I definitely know follow this thread: I believe The Star Beast goes live on Disney+ in a little over an hour, specifically 10:30 AM West Coast time/1:30 East, simultaneous with the UK. I probably won't be watching it til later tonight, as it doesn't feel appropriate to watch the premiere in blazing California daylight. I hate LA. Cheers.

Edited by Vee

• Members

A strong ratings night for DW back home: 5.06 million. Don't believe that counts the overnights, and I believe it does reflect a shift from Chibnall. After an unexpected nap I'm watching now - I love the psychic paper gag with it still having the wrong gender. "Oh, catch up!"

• Members

So:

This was a classic, fun RTD-era romp, but updated in all the right ways. Working-class or middle-class people, neighborhoods and families and children in the thick of the action, and a lot of heart and fun. Was it perfect genius, no, but it was a very, very solid, strong return - a lot stronger than I'd expected for this type of story - and highlighted all the things I personally found missing from the Chibnall years; characters being introduced and imprinted onto the audience with affection and sensitivity quickly, vs. a lot of telling vs. showing or vague platitudes about cardboard cutouts. Granted, we already knew Donna and her mother (Jacqueline King is great here as always, and they've happily kept Sylvia's development into a kinder person from Series 4) but Rose Noble is all-new, and very much an audience identification character like Rose I; it is not a surprise to me that RTD has already announced we'll be seeing her again in the new era under Gatwa. This is so important for trans youth and visibility and for educating people, as RTD discussed eloquently in the BTS material for this episode (which I can't presently lay hands on a clip of, sadly). I thought Yasmin Finney definitely had some stiffer or more awkward scenes delivering sci-fi exposition material vs. her lovely work on Heartstopper, but she was mostly quite winning especially in the first half. The moment I'd worried about re: tying Rose to the metacrisis was underplayed and inoffensive, and trans viewers seem very happy about it as a way to elevate them.

I really, really enjoyed the low-key but warm reunion between the Doctor and UNIT. UNIT became much more a part of the fabric of the show again in the Moffat and to a lesser extent Chibnall eras, as opposed to what I always felt was Russell's sanctimonious puffery about them being too jingoistic in Series 3 and 4 with Tennant back in the day. Here, Fourteen is much more relaxed in greeting Shirley Anne Bingham and they acknowledge each other wryly and without huge fanfare as an everyday matter of course. As someone who's been revisiting the Pertwee era a lot lately it is nice to see that continuity of a grand old and mostly trusted association. Tennant's performance is also very grounded and stripped-down opposite the talented Ruth Madeley - he used to be 'the one in the skinny suit' he says, then lists off all the others and now he doesn't know who he is, and a lot of his performance reflects that. (Bingham mistaking him for the Tenth Doctor coming from the past was a nice touch.)

Fourteen is more rooted, a sharper contrast to Ten for me in many ways than I'd anticipated based on the advance interviews. It's not just the five o'clock shadow that's him changed either, but the clear ability to say (surprisingly himself at first) that he loves both Donna and Wilf. And his bemused resignation when he determines that only he and Donna can save London, and that this moment was inevitable; there's (almost) no howling, gurning, etc. In much of this special he approaches this new life as well as the scenario with Donna that's beyond his ken in a way that reminded me a lot of Tom's silver-haired, melancholy days like Series 18, and of Smith and Capaldi, admittedly my preferred modern Doctors. There is a wistful exhaustion to Fourteen now which suits Tennant much better than Ten's most manic famed hours to me.

I did love the note about Kate Stewart and UNIT providing for Wilf - presumably we will see him in the final special for the brief filming Bernard Cribbins did.

Catherine Tate has always been heartbreakingly good with drama, and should still do more of it. There is nothing I can add to the many accolades about her performance, either 15 years ago or now. I love the camp-voiced Wrarth Warriors, and I was pleased to see a mention of the Shadow Proclamation.

The show looks like a million bucks. The new opening is wonderful and the new TARDIS is, as I said, gorgeous and retro. People kept banging on about how much better they thought the Chibnall production values looked vs. Moffat; I never saw a big difference, just flatter characters and stories. But now, contrasting the FX and budget, lighting, etc. in RTD's typical environments and trappings from the 2000s to now, it's a world of difference from the overly lit neon backdrops and that one same industrial corridor we often saw in the first four series. Rachel Talalay has always been a favorite of mine from both horror films and the Moffat era, and she made a great return here. The neighborhood battle sequence was exceptional, including the sound FX. And the Meep was beautifully realized (great performance by Margolyes) - visually, the show has come so far. Very curious to see who the Meep's "boss" is - I believe Tennant and RTD have said this carries over into Gatwa's series, so it's probably not the Toymaker.

A lovely time. It's so good to have the show back as a vital part of my life again.

• Members

An interesting note from David Tennant re: Wild Blue Yonder, the second special:

Very little is known about Wild Blue Yonder - all but three cast members (Tate, Tennant and "Susan Twist" who may be a real actor who does exist or may be an alias) are redacted from the official listings. There have been virtually no leaks on it unlike special 3. The only rumor out there, which is not backed up, suggests

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Vee

• Members

Wild Blue Yonder sounds great - watching it tonight. Don't think it has (almost) any cameos, so if there's some to come it'll be the final special.

Also (SPOILER for one returnee this week):

Please register in order to view this content