DRW50

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/25/doctor-star-richard-franklin-dies-christmas-day-aged-87-20024799/

The speculation on whether Mike was gay, and then the actual canon events we did get with Mike's breakdown and recovery, add so many layers to the UNIT era. I am sorry to hear he's gone. I suppose there is something fitting on a legend leaving us just as a new era begins. I need to listen to some of the Big Finish audios sometime.

• Members

Stay after the initial fade out for a mid-credit surprise in The Church on Ruby Road. I knew there was something off on

Please register in order to view this content

@DRW50 will be pleased to hear Anita Dobson is now trending on what remains of Twitter.

The Season 1/Series 14 teaser:

Both Rose Noble and Mel appear in there.

Quick thoughts on the Christmas special:  Fun but very lightweight vs. other RTD's other Christmas showstoppers, perhaps to ease the new audience in. Very modern and fresh, wonderful performance by Millie Gibson. This is really her showcase whereas I think Gatwa's first appearance in The Giggle was a bigger spotlight for him - he is kept somewhat at a distance for a good portion as they lay out Ruby Sunday. I don't have a full sense of this Doctor yet but that is not unusual, though he did very well. They are clearly going for a younger energy, more overall current Doctor on par with the dramatic shift Christopher Eccleston brought to the role; it reminds me most of that in that this is something we've never seen from a Doctor before.  His tears were striking. The Giggle gave him more range and colors to play but that will come in time.

What interests me most besides Mrs. Flood is the goblins. These are creatures that appear to be from realms of fantasy totally alien to the Doctor, a new kind of threat like the Toymaker; did what Fourteen did with the folklore ring of salt in Wild Blue Yonder bring out all sorts of new mess to deal with?

Edited by Vee

• Members

Curious: Susan Twist, who cameod in the Isaac Newton prologue of Wild Blue Yonder, is mysteriously coming back.

She can also be sighted, just barely, by eagle-eyed fans who zoomed in on RTD's office wall in the Blue Peter video above; there is a mock magazine cover headlining her as "Susan Triad". Triad is the name of the OS Mel and Donna worked on at UNIT in The Giggle; Mel calls it out.

Edited by Vee

• Members

A brief clip from Series 1/14 (allegedly debuting in May?) and I think the first episode, or so I've heard, from the Doctor Who Unleashed BTS show:

@DRW50 will be pleased to hear that per reasonably reliable leaks - it's not a huge spoiler but a nice return of past minor characters -

Speculation abounds that Mrs. Flood is anyone from River (highly unlikely IMO) to the Rani to Old Ruby Sunday, but I still am betting on Susan.

Meanwhile, rumor has it that Indira Varma is playing

Edited by Vee

• Members

Based on the Xmas special, this new era is not for me. I’ll tune in if Piper and Tennant ever return.

Context: I stopped watching DW about 5 episodes into Matt Smith’s run. I did watch the 50th anniversary episode in theatres. Based on the specials, RTD hasn’t captured the magic of his first run. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

I'd never seen this Series 2 promo piece with Tennant, Piper and Lis. Thought @DRW50 might like it. Click and zoom in to enlarge:

Meanwhile:

Radio Times mentions this was cut from The Giggle:

Edited by Vee