Y&R: Josh Griffith interview with TV Guide

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could it be because Stephen Nichols contract doesn't end until December? JG he did say they put down the axe for now. Perhaps they are using his contracted episodes to give Jill & Kay a story? If they announced a departure it would ruin the story. That's all I can't think of, because even though the original Tucker & Jill were fabulous, it's hard for me to believe Jill would have any feeling for him after he's used one woman after another. That would make Jill dumber than Sharon.

Maybe those "sparks" come from him and she turns him down? It can't go too far since JW isn't on contract. Perhaps he leaves with her for some reason? But I don't get the feeling it's an exit for JW since Josh seems to want Jill back. It's clear he'd like to have ED/Ashley back too, but Tucker didn't complement her either so I have no idea what they would do w/Tucker if they kept him. Josh didn't mention him with Devon, or challenging Victor. I sounds like Adam will be filling that role.

• Members

This interview does nothing for me its sounds like JG is just recycling couples and storylines again.

So sharon's story is her needing a man to rescue her yet again

Nikki is reunited with the turd again where she is reduced down to playing victurd prop and doormat.

And mostly getting another phack reunion again

What is the point in hiring new writers if all they do is recycle the same crap from the previous writers.

• Members

This does sound very similar to the DAYS reboot. Nothing excited me. I like that the cast is getting pared down, but the storylines don't sound like anything special. I worry it'll feel really slow like the last time Josh Griffith was HW. Now I know Bill Bell and Kay Alden had a "slow" show, but I found it well paced, character driven and full of interesting stories. I'm missing the interesting stories from that interview. We'll see though, it's still early.

I'm mostly interested in how he handles Neil and the Winters storyline. We all know every HW can write for Adam, Nikki, Victor, Sharon and Phyllis, I want to see what he can do to save the Winters, a very important and popular family on the show.

• Members

I just don't get much of a sense/feel from the interview, it all seems vague and non-specific direction-wise. It seemed like he just rattled off characters he thought were popular and gave brief tidbits.Though, who honestly expects this show to get better or back to where it was pre-Jack Smith's last year? I don't.

The Winter's are not even a family anymore - Lily is an isolated character to herself, and Devon and Neil alone don't constitute anything of a family dynamic anymore. They're three characters, none of whom exactly have the most dynamic of personalities (especially Lily). This family is never going to be a priority or interesting enough for these writers to devote any attention towards. This is why Dru is so missed - she adds a hell of a lot to them and their entire dynamic.

• Members

I like what Griffith is saying about Jess Walton and the storyline for Jill. It seems like a natural flow for Jill to return to help deal with Katherine...I just want this visit to become indefinite...6 weeks is just long enough to test the waters and at least give the audience some direction for how/where Jill is going.

• Members

He's already getting it wrong with Sharon needing to be rescued by a man. She should be single for the rest of the damn year if not more. Victor will test his kids? Uh Nick is useless and AH needs to go. Adam vs Victor is tired. Phack again maybe? What for, Phyllis is not getting over Nick. Jack has played the fool enough times already. He needs to be single. JG wants to rebuild the Abbotts via the younger characters. Hell there are none except Kyle and he sucks.

• Members

I agree and worry about Josh's pacing . one of the first things I noticed when JG and MAB took over it felt liek nothing was happening. But JG is alone. im excited by the interview. Im saddend to see Abby go I thought marcy was right for the role. Hope they dont mess with the cues to much. i cant wait for Oct!!!!

• Members

I don't want to cast judgment before JG's work has even aired and he's had a chance to settle -- but if JFP is going to be a great EP, she is going to need a great writer. JG seems like he might be a company man, post-MAB a relatively safe pair of hands. In that respect, he could be a Chris Whitesell (competent) or a David Kreizman (awful). I don't want either, though. I want finesse, command and imagination!

JG has to play his cards close to his chest (unlike HWs like Bob "Stalin" Guza who used to give the entire breakdown of his latest story to the soap press, from beginning to end, including how the audience was "invited" to react) but none of these Y&R tidbits are setting my world on fire.

• Members

People get so hung up on Legacy characters.

Abby is not needed. Her not being in town will not negatively impact the show or hurt stories. They aged her far too fast and MR was cast just so she could be cast, something fans complain about all the time. And while being a fine actress, Abby has never worked on this show and a rest is needed. A new character is not needed to replace her, nobody is - because she isnt needed. I wouldnt mind them bringing on a girl in her age range for story and it being a newbie though, if the cast wasnt so bloated.

Almost every fan fave and "legacy" family on soaps were newbies at some point and most replaced others.

Archived