Y&R: Josh Griffith interview with TV Guide

• Members

Maybe because Marcy Rylan was miscast the character needed a rest before they brought her back?

and Y&R needs diversity, so I'm all for bringing in some new characters that can contribute something to the makeup of the show. It might not succeed, but it sounds like a priority for this regime, which it wasn't for the last regime. Again, it might not work out, but at least a new strategy is being tested out for once...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guza during the Riche years was brilliant. The whole 1996 Guza take over from Labines was stellar. We had the click boom episode and we had tons of great big moments. The Cassidines return, Bobbie/Carly and so many good things. When he returned in 2008 again stellar stuff with Carly/Bobbie's big reveal, Rape Revisted brilliance using Liz's rape, Tony going crazy, and so many great moments. It was their latter years that slipped and then it caused a huge warzone that Guza quit in 2000 because he despised Riche and then Riche exited shortly after and he returned in 2002. Wendy pushed Guza hard and it worked. She was a brilliant EP even Claire Labine said Wendy would stand in the way of any network exec to get a vision told on screen. She was very very pushy and demanding but brilliant.

• Members

I do know that many of the production crew got so used to Maria's lack of management, that they had a rude awakening when Jill came in and demanded more and started implementing changes.

Jill was NOT kidding when she said she wanted to revamp the way the show looks - sets might not completely be overhauled, but a lot of the overall aesthetics will be changing over the next few months.

• Members

Tony going crazy was a shock value story which Brad Maule was misled about and abruptly dropped after Tony was demonized for a few months.

Some of 1998 was good - I'd say Alan's pill story, Brenda's exit, some of the Carly stuff, Liz's rape (Laura's rape revisitation was mostly about blaming her and having Lucky verbally abuse her for months). The rest was mediocre to poor.

1999 and 2000 were slow as molasses, full of ugly agendas, and chock full of exactly what killed off the show in later years.

• Members

The Abbotts are dead. The Newmans are mostly ruined and can't drive story.

If I had confidence in JFP bringing in good new characters I'd say just dump the lot. I actually wish they would do this. Bill Bell did it and he knew he had to do it.

"Legacy" is now a byword for lazy. Victoria Newman was a legacy character, so was Nick, so was Billy. Legacy gets you a lemon.

• Members

I hope they continue the blood because the belief that they have to appease fans when the show is in the toilet is just stupid. So far all the firings have been good. What i got from the interviews is since Sharon will always be a damsel in distress and MM has been squacking how great everything is, he will return to being Victor Jr with the Sahdam pairing. Jack deserves better than Phyllis and if it's still going to be the Phyllis show the very least they can do is have people call her out on her s.hit. And I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Davidson gets fired. That shtick about having the character find himself sounds like BS.

That part of the canvas comment sounds ridiculous since it proves these folks always treat diversity - not as an inclusion - but seperate from the rest of the cast. I really hope KSJ has a bottle of Jack Daniels somewhere beause he'll need it.

Archived