Your favorite whodunit

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unfortunately, I think Mary Kay Adams (Neal) agreed only to a short-term stint, which made her murder an inevitable, irreversible conclusion. Nevertheless, with MKA, Liz Hubbard, Terry Lester and Richard Bekins all involved in this story, I was in soap fan heaven. smile.png

• Members

Probably the most unconventional yet most impactful "whodunit" was the one involving who was the father of Michelle Fowler's baby on EastEnders.

It sounds stupid writing it down in a simple sentence, but it drove years worth of story and was absolutely essential to the early success and foundation of that show.

It didn't involve violence or attempted murder, but had a lasting impact for several characters for years to follow.

• Members

Great, great story that tied into another huge story (Raven/Logan custody). It was a real bummer because Eliot was a great, fun character and had unbelievable chemistry with Raven.

Edge also had a good one with Nora Fulton (another great character). In that case, the lead-up and the murder were absolutely perfect (and her murder was positively shocking - I'll never forget watching the tape the next morning and being stunned. Edge aired at 1 a.m. where I lived.) The resolution was OK.

Edge really mastered the art of carefully plotted murder mysteries. All the pieces were firmly in place well before the actual murder. You didn't have the making it up as we're going along syndrome.

• Members

I will never forget Nora's murder. That was indeed shocking and they filmed it so starkly in dramatic close up. I wish it was on YT but it isn't. But the bigger shock I think was Edge wasted no time and the moment they solved the Nora case they turned right around and did a Nicole murder. I was completely shocked that a show would do two murders practically back to back.

• Members

Catherine Bruno was electric as Nora. Her strangled screech right at the end was pure Henry Slesar.

Earlier someone posted the Mark Faraday murder trial where Serena/Josie was unmasked. Donald May and Louise Shaffer absolutely killed these scenes and both of them got screwed when it came to Emmy time. Louise Shaffer's monologue as Josie still is chilling to watch. And if you look at Dixie Carter's priceless reaction when Josie is unmasked, you'd swear she was saying to herself "Give this woman an Emmy..."

• Members

Perhaps, in terms of resonance with popular culture and mass media, everything else pales. If you ask me, though, I think the resolution was a H-U-G-E letdown and ruined the story completely.

• Members

That's how I feel about Santa Barbara's "Who Killed Channing?" plot now that I've seen it. I started watching the show in '85, but after that storyline's conclusion. It's too bad too, because from what I've seen, it was excellent storytelling, full of psychology, suspense, and believability. It truly did set the foundation for the series, though. It gave many characters major backstory and intertwined certain characters on the canvas seamlessly but permanently. It came up in story many times after it's conclusion- considering Capwell matriarch Sophia had accidentally killed her own son (mistaking him for former lover Lionel Lockridge)- and drove each Capwell kid to act out in different ways as the show went on.

I liked the "Who killed Elena?" story too, but less for the mystery aspect and more for what came before it.

Sometimes a good mystery doesn't have to come in its natural form on daytime, either. I had a fabulous time trying to connect the dots between Iris, Carly, and Gwen for 6 months or so. It was a big part of what made that baby switch so interesting and appealing to me.

• Members

And it made so much sense, too! They sent you down so many dead-end alleys and forgotten plots (Lindsey Smith? The Chinese puzzle box?) but in the end it was simply about Sophia. It would make so much sense Sophia would want Lionel dead, so she'd turn around... and the rest is history.

• Members

For me, the greatest Whodunit of all time was the "Who Killed Stephanie Martin" on EON. Totally suspenseful, with so many people wanting her dead. And every time a suspect took the witness stand, it was must-see TV.

Another goody was "Who Killed Tad Channing" on ATWT. I can still see our villain hanging from a hook dipped in cement.

Archived