What stories didn't work(ratings wise/creative wise) in soaps?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not even! I would say Kitty and Kelly on ALL MY CHILDREN, both portrayed by Francesca James. Nowadays, we scoff whenever a character hooks up with the twin or doppelganger of his or her true-love. Back then, though, people seemed to love Linc with Kelly as much as they did him with Kitty.

• Members

I haven't seen that much of Kitty and Kelly either, Carl. I do suspect, though, AMC viewers "forgave" whatever mistakes there were in FJ's return story, just because it was such a novelty back then. Plus, I suspect Agnes Nixon and Wisner Washam did a better job overall with that story than most writers today would.

• Members

ATWT's "He Said/She Said" rape with Marshall and Jessica was an interesting concept IMO but it didn't work. It all seemed horribly sexist and this was also a time when the criminals were getting away with way too much way too often. Also I think they should have actually SHOWED the alleged rape in order to let the audience argue over it. It would have been a lot more creative/controversial that way.

Plus Marshall was a good character IMO and it absolutely ruined him.

• Members

Oh, that seemed destined to fail, IMO. I realize how successful Ellen Wheeler and Cindy's heroic battle with AIDS were for ALL MY CHILDREN. Especially at a time when, let's face it, the show was not in the greatest shape. However, Karen failed as a character, not only because there wasn't much to her (except the fact, of course, that she was the complete opposite of Cindy), but the desperation on the part of the show to hold onto the Emmy-winning Wheeler just hung onto viewers' senses like a bad stench.

• Members

The Zarf/Zoe thing was an embarrassment! The actor was good, but all it did was show us that Bianca was a TRIsexual! Zoe feels like a woman, so sure, let's be a lesbian couple. Not one procedure or pill taken, but Bianca is all for it? Yeah OK!

• Members

I couldn't watch the rape, because by that point, I felt Hogan Sheffer and Chris Goutman had changed Jessica and not for the better. I want to know, though, did they at least have Jessica and Marshall flash back to the incident, just with respective, skewed perspectives?

• Members

IMO, Eden Riegel had even less chemistry with Jeffrey Carlson than she'd had with Elizabeth Hendrickson. (I'll say it again: BAM sucked. Get over it.) So, right from the start, as I could see where they were heading with the two, I felt the story was an absolute travesty.

• Members

I think it worked on EON, too, when they killed off faux Sky Whitney (aka Jefferson Brown) and brought back Larkin Malloy as the real Sky Whitney, whose identity the former had stolen. Not only that, but they basically repeated the relationship with Raven, since LM and SG had great chemistry. But there you had the buildup of Sky #1 turning out to be an imposter (making him an imposter was the surprise, up until that storyline he'd been Sky Whitney) so having him ultimately killed off and bringing LM back as the real Sky wasn't so sudden (I think between LM's popularity and the real Sky taking his rightful place, the audience was pretty happy...I know I sure was!)

Also, OLTL brought back Lee Patterson (aka the long-dead Joe Riley) as Tom Denison, Joe's long lost twin that nobody ever heard of. I wouldn't say it was a disaster, I mean I think it worked but I also think Clint and Viki were so hugely popular then (and I loved them, too) that a Viki/Tom relationship was never going to go very far.

I'm also thinking Ryan Chamberlain/Kevin Collins on GH, although I can't remember if Ryan was presumed dead when Kevin was first introduced or if he was just locked up somewhere.

• Members

Re stories that didn't work, I would say the Eckerts on GH, although I actually liked the Jenny/Paul relationship. But GH introduced this blue collar family headed by a returning, non-Luke Anthony Geary as Bill Eckert. The stories generally were boring, Bill was obnoxious and I think people still wanted AG to be Luke and wanted Genie back, too. The Kirklands on Ryan's Hope were a huge bust and pretty much antithetical to the foundation of the show. Any story that involved trying to fill the void of the death of a major, popular character by hiring someone who resembled them (GH did this with a Brenda-lite and with a Laura Templeton and AMC did it especially horrendously after the death of Jenny Nelson).

• Members

I dislike long lost children storylines when it involves a female character. I can buy a male character having a kid that he didn't know about. Anyway, all of a sudden we discover that X female character had a baby and gave it up for adoption, or the kid was taken from her or she believed that the kid died. No indication, no longing looks or tears at the sight of children. Nothing.

Or the retconned story where a woman gives birth on screen, but we discover years later that she was actually pregnant with twins and the other twin was taken by someone and put up for adoption. What I really hate is the big F U these stories give to adoption because we all know that these long lost children almost always forget the adopted parents.

Archived