GH: Discussion for the Month of June

• Members

Guza was the shittiest hack that this show has ever had.

Point. Blank. Period.

He gutted out a wonderful show, its rich history, and its wonderful characters to the point where it was a festering sore on the ass of ABCD.

By the time he was finally fired, he succeeded in turning GH into the worst fvcking show on the damn air.

This is why I will always chime in whenever someone claims that Ron "ruined" the show, because I will never forgive and forget how Guza (along with JFP and Frons) killed this show - long before Cartini was a thought bubble in GHers' heads.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think just saying post-1999 leaves a lot of room because GH became harder to watch over a period of time for me. It was probably around 2002 when I began to have a harder time watching it. The start was Stavros off ice and that ridiculous "Raiders of the Lost Ark" type duel with Luke and Stavros. Nicholas was supposed to go dark after meeting his father and the show didn't feel the same. I watched this show on and off for awhile and finally stopped because I didn't like how Jason and Elizabeth's relationship was handled. I would have preferred that they remained friends and never had Jake if they were just planning to end up in a repetitious cycle over why they could not be together. Killing Jake cemented my not watching again because it was unnecessary and I am no fan of Sam but putting her back with Jason after he threatened to kill her and even using Elizabeth as an advocate of that relationship isn't the kind of thing I can even make a case for watching.

I don't know why they opted to bring characters over from OLTL instead of just choosing some actors and creating new characters. Maybe I can understand Todd and even Blair but not Starr and not McBain. Michalel Easton could have beem brought on in the same role as a new character instead of using him with the idea of stringing certain OLTL viewers along.

• Members

Okay, let me make it simple for you since you seem to be catching hurt feelings over my wanting to get rid of these useless characters. I don't like the OLTL characters and want them off the show. My wanting them off the show does not imply that I think the show's quality will be better without them. It just means I don't like them, don't care about them and don't want to see them on this show any longer. That's why I say "Get rid of the OLTL characters." That's it. Any other "implications" you get from that statement is all on YOU!

• Members

I think bob Guza was a far better storyteller and had a much stronger script writing team which probably salvaged some. That doesn't mean he wasn't destructive. He literally destroyed the canvas. Had Carlivati been HW at OLTL for over 10 years who knows what would have happened. He already emasculated Vicki, turned Clint into a monster and had Vicki pine over him, turned Dorian into a parody of herself, and propped Rex one of the worst characters in the history of the show by altering his paternity how many times? And let's not forget Morasco. And just like Sonny, Carly, and Jason, Tea, Todd, and McBain became the primary characters on the show. Slightly better actors and balance yes but who knows what he would have done had he had the time Guza did at OLTL.

I don't see these characters either hurting or improving GH. It's just another way to generate some buzz in lieu of something fresh and original. I don't blame them for it.it just really didn't improve the focus of the show.

Same people are headlining the show.

Me, I've stopped watching, I can tell that the show really isn't that much better because 95 percent of the discussion in this thread over the past 2 months, no matter how long the thread may be, it about the same stuff over and over. Present company guilty also. But I now rarely post here.

• Members

I strongly disagree, as 1999 was when GH started to crumble in my eyes. Great characters were put out to pasture in order to prop shítty characters (Robin's leaving Port Charles in "disgrace" immediately comes to mind), while once-strong characters were weakened to fit into Guza's "love amongst the ruins" vision for the show (your mentioning Liz and the roided goiter is a perfect example of a lovely female character with serious potential to be a great lead character being shat on to prop Guza's depiction of GH). The fact that I am actually interested in what happens to Sam McCall - a character that I never had use for prior to this March - these days is a testament to how terrible Guza's writing for her was.

Though I'm not completely happy with the OLTL characters coming over (as I will never cosign Hater Yellgado being an alternative to Blair's much-needed presence during her daughter's time of need), I have no problem stating that they are a hell of a lot more entertaining and compelling to me than 95% of the GH characters that are currently on canvas. The last time a new character made any kind of impression on me was Maya Ward a few years back and considering how dreadful this show treated her, I'd much rather invest in the OLTL characters that I do know (and like/love) than to invest in a new character with potential that this show will shít on in order to keep their worthless characters on their undeserved pedestals.

• Members

Let me make it simple for you, I wasn't only referring to you in my posts. I was talking about all the GH fans saying OLTL is taking over the show when they aren't. I'm the one mad, but you are the one always coming at somebody sideways bc they have a different opinion. I am too through with you and your smart ass mouth. Just ignore my sh-t like you do Skin and whoever else.

• Members

I think Guza had plenty of help; he didn't burn down Atlanta alone. He was part of a team with an EP who had a notoriously destructive history in soaps and a buffoon of an ABCD suit who fancied himself a creative genius. Added to that, all three of them babied their own pets who had to be kept front and center at all times even though they couldn't act and even though it rarely made sense for them to be such air-hogs.

There were a lot of factors involved in GH deteriorating the way it did.

Now we not only have the rancid old GH pets, we have the refugee pets from the dead show. It's all very odd and none of it is about telling good stories.

• Members

Kinda like GH, huh?

I barely watch but I do enjoy posting with intelligent people who see exactly what I see. That's always fun.

My mantra won't be changing in the near future. The interlopers need to go - this includes the 2 headed hack!!!!! They are not needed or wanted!

ANDREA

Archived