What are the "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" characters of the soaps?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say SEARCH FOR TOMORROW's Jo and LOVE OF LIFE's Van fall into this category, except I don't know whether tentpole characters are exempt from this discussion.

LOL!

More like a Moesha Sue, but yeah, I see where you're coming from.

• Members

Definitely. She was the Mary Sue that caused me to change the channel.

I'd say Robin Wright's Kelly for sure, but none of the Kellys that came after would I put in that category.

As for Eden, it's hard to say because there were many times where she was written as quite flawed. I'd say in 87 & 88 she was a Mary Sue for sure, especially during the paralysis storyline. It got to be too much during that period. From Robert Barr on, though, I'd be hard pressed to call her a Mary Sue.

Some more Mary Sues I haven't seen mentioned:

DAYS- MBE's Kayla in the 80s- Hell, it could still be argued now. Save Jennifer, I don't think any character has ever been written as a perfect angel before or since.

AW- Marley

SUN- MEG!!! I can't think of even one flaw of Meg's that was exposed over the course of the show.

LOV- Stacey It's why I never could stand her.

SB- Hayley

Mary

Katrina

SFT- Suzy

Sunny (it pains me to say it as I have great affection for her)

• Members

OLTL: Jessica (without her alters), Evangeline, Viki, and Marty post rape prior to going bsc

GL: Cassie, Beth in her pre return days, Tammy.

Y&R: Sharon pre split from the Newman clan before Jack. Drew's sister, whose name I can't even recall.

Days: Carrie and Jennifer.

Archived