What are the "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" characters of the soaps?

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfilment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional. While the label "Mary Sue" itself originates from a parody of this type of character, most characters labelled "Mary Sues" by readers are not intended by authors as such. Male Mary Sues are often dubbed "Gary Stu", "Larry Stu", "Marty Stu", or similar names.

By that I mean all soaps past & present

For me I always thought that BW's Jessica on OLTL became a Mary Sue character

Jason on GH is another, but that's a Gary Stu, not a Mary Sue LOL

Ryan from AMC is another

I'm a Sami Brady fan, but she's starting to become a Mary Sue character

anyone know of any from other soaps?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

kimmat.jpg

Remember that up until last week, she was a VIRGIN!

Sami?The show has done nothing but highlight her flaws and portrayed her incredibly ugly the last couple of months. Maybe this assessment might have been true a couple of years back during the soccer mom phase, but not so now. Sami is a hot mess today

• Members

Always.

Under the Labines she was the best lawyer, a great stepmother, sexy, desireable, the ideal.

Under JFP she got a JFP-like haircut, was the noble/feisty partner Todd betrayed, and was paired with one of JFP's favorite actors, John Bolger.

The last few years...no point in going there.

• Members

Definitely Daniel needs to be killed off Jonas. I mean we can all see his flaws but the show makes sure it seems like he has absolutely none. Unbearable at this point. Shallowest one dimensional character on the show. Which is saying a lot considering most of the characters.

• Members

Yes. The entire town stopped to worry about her/celebrate her birthday.

I'm not sure whether I dislike this more or less than the "misunderstood" Mary Sue type, like Greenlee, who was written as the saddest poor little rich girl around, and the noblest raging bitch of all time.

I think that's a Granny Sue.

Archived