What are the "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" characters of the soaps?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Belle from Days under Kirsten Storms and up until Martha Madison's Belle started banging Phillip while with Shawn...I will never understand that dropped storyline. JKJ and MM were super hot and Chloe had a personality.

• Members

Jennifer Rose Horton Devereaux has to be one of, if not the archetype, Mary Sue. She has never, ever, done anything wrong. She is a saint among saints and the representation of all that is right for the good people of Salem.

Dynasty's Krystal Carrington. UGH. Insufferable and a total Mary Sue.

• Members

a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional.

AMC- Bianca, Kendell, Erica, Amanda, Angie, it seemed like most of the female cast was this once upon a time. The Saints were whiter then white.

GH - Sonny, Emily, Elizabeth,

Y&R- Nick, Victor, Billy, Sharon,

Days- Sami (no matter what he faults, her good mom virtues always seem to be get her out of any jam she may face), Carrie, Belle, most of the Brady women

• Members

Erica Kane? No way, Erica was a lot of things, but a saint she wasn't. Lord, if she had been a Mary Sue....I shudder at the thought of what AMC would have been. I think Erica remained a conflicted character from start to finish, heck, her last line was "Just watch me!"...certainly not the shy and retiring type.

• Members

The definition of a Mary Sue character is one where their positive traits overwhelm their other ones until they lose all their dimensional qualities. I would say that certainly happened to Erica over the years. All of her positive traits were amplified to the point where we only saw the good sides of her character. Her other sides that were petty and the worst kinds of who she was were almost always played for laughs and they didn't really matter. She was sexy, she was funny, she was strong, she was powerful, etc. her other traits her selfishness, her shallowness, her vapidness, her vanity and self absorption those were shown to be cute little foibles that people had to over look because she was Erica Kane. All of the men lusted after her and none of the women could ever cut her down to size because she was the best woman that ever existed. She is a Mary Sue sub type of character definitely especially in the way everyone reacted to her as if they were starstruck in some way by her presence.

• Members

I didn't see Erica's negative qualities played for laughs or amusement. The series finale was a good example of this, she was still selfish and she lost Jack because he didn't overlook it. It's interesting to hear that perspective, I imagine Erica must have gotten very tiresome for you, whereas I loved her from start to finish because she was so multifaceted: good, bad, beautiful and ugly.

• Members

Well even then, we are supposed to sympathize with Erica and view her as some awesome avatar for feminism because she chooses herself over a man. I can't remember a time where Erica was truly written as a real character maybe when she went through her addiction to pills maybe. But everything the writers threw at her over the last decade of AMC always felt quite Sue-ish concerning her character. Every man wanted her, every man was in love with her, she almost always got whatever she wanted, didn't she also have a relationship with one of her daughters past boyfriends? She was a 15 year old in a 40-50 year old body and everyone just thought this was okay. She always got the last word concerning all of her detractors. She never failed as a character and was always seen as a constant pillar of strength and even when she 'broke down' or did 'evil' things these moments were almost always used as bait to get sympathy for her or laughed off for comedy. Her character was a complete mess by the time AMC ended and was a parody of what she wanted to end up as. There was no ounce of realism to her character which is precisely why I couldn't stand her.

Archived