Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Members

I think she is total 5 out of 10. She is neither here nor there, this nor that, good nor bad. She is a typical soap actress who looks like a typical soap actress, and she acts like a typical soap actress. She could probably play any number of roles on any soap because she will always deliver a typical and expected soap performance. All she needs is a role that is mundane and predictable enough that her mediocrity fits right in.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Davetta didn't need to be amazing, the sheer fact that she looked and acted like she could have came from Dru was enough to justify both her casting and her contract with Y&R. Nothing about Khalil says that she is Dru's daughter, she has no resemblance to her mother (in all capacities) to the extent that you could never buy a relationship ever existed between them. This by itself may not be a deal breaker but in an isolated, insular black family that only plays off each other scene for scene it's a major problem.

• Members

I would have written Neil out a long time ago. I don't like the character, I never really have, I don't think Kristoff has has chemistry with most of his leading ladies, and since Victoria Rowell is unlikely to return and Lily exists solely for Cane, his only real purpose now is the Devon story. If not for knowing Y&R will never create any new minority families I would say write out the Winters, except maybe Devon.

• Members

This is kind of a complicated issue. It's not so much a question of either Lily being more "believable" as Dru's daughter, because human beings are not so black and white, pun intended. A parent and child can be extremely close and still seem, on the surface at least, very dissimilar. I speak from personal experience, and I don't mean just looks but also demeanor. The REAL issue is the show's preference for Lily to be a, for all intents and purposes, white young heroine who is only black when her father is in the room. In Hollywood, CK's type is "ethnically ambiguous-as white", like Jennifer Beals. Television chooses more often than not to cast black female leads with looks and/or speech that "inoffensively" tip "white".

• Members

Basically.

I think it's safe to say that I and other then-viewers didn't need DS to be the second coming of Viola Davis. All we wanted was someone who'd inhabit the role of the fabulous Dru's daughter and Davetta passed that test with flying colors.

The fact that we're discussing her five years after she was let go confirms that she made a lasting impression as Lily (a.k.a.: mini-Dru) in a way that Christel Khalil never will.

• Members

Which is good, since I'm still not used to the first coming yet.

Yeah. I said it.

But I do see everyone's point about DS not needing to be brilliant, per se. I don't know if I can totally agree -- again (and by the way, this is coming from one who is NOT a CK fan by any stretch), I need more than authenticity, for lack of a better word, I also need genuine talent -- but I think I get it.

• Members

Understandable.

Then again, as I said earlier in this thread, soaps are a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't expect top-notch Emmy-worthy acting to get me through an episode, but I do expect to find the actors/characters onscreen likeable enough for me to overlook their shortcoming of talent. For me, DS succeeded with that, while CK has not.

• Members

Dru notwithstanding, have fans ever criticized the believability of CK's Lily being Neil's daughter? I'm guessing folks have less of a problem buying that. Did you all ever watch Being Bobby Brown and see his daughter LaPrincia? I'm sure a lot of people were surprised that such a "Valley Girl" was BB's daughter.

• Members

I wasn't because I knew coming in to BBB that LaPrincia was primarily raised by her mother (though I was surprised to see that she was the more confident sister, while BK was a lot more insecure). No matter who she was raised by, I'd have no issue in believing her to be Bobby's daughter because there was a natural (though not as close) rapport between the two. CK Lily lacks that in a way that is startling, IMO, which is why I was beyond happy that they chose a recast that had that natural rapport with her parents/Devon.

Archived