When Looks Matter

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A big one for me was Roscoe Born replacing Nana's then-boyfriend Richard Muenz as Joe. Mind you, I was a teenager and thought RM was very handsome, tall with boyish good looks. When they recast with RB, who was shorter, more swarthy-looking and not appealing to me at all, it actually started my aversion to seeing the dude on screen (never helped that he played some really loathsome characters!).

OLTL - He's a terrific actor and I was glad that Clint wasn't killed off but It was hard to picture Jerry verDorn's Clint growing up as a cowboy and being Asa's son. He was just too waspy-looking and citified to have started out with Pa on the ranch, whereas Clint Ritchie was more rugged and was basically a cowboy. I guess one way to put it would be that he made an adequate "older Clint" (but then again they changed Clint's character so much) but would have been really out of place had the recast happened years earlier. Then again, Clint B was so heavily influenced from the start by Clint R's personality and demeanor that any replacement would have been just "off."

GL - Melina K and Jennifer Roszell as Eleni. Melina has a more ethnic and exotic appearance and a very striking one, hers was the perfect "just arrived in America" Eleni. Jennifer looked like the California girl she was. Not unattractive, just not striking or exotic. Again, it was hard to picture her as an earlier version of her character.

• Members

I often feel like they should have left Clint offcamera after CR, although Jerry is a wonderful actor and had some standout moments; they just had nothing to do with the character of Clint Buchanan. I'm very glad that they eventually stopped having him do that attempt at an accent.

The writing for Joe was so unpleasant after Roscoe took over that it made me hate him. Watching the 1981 episodes over again, I didn't mind him as much, but the first time, I was repulsed.

I also never "got" the casting of Kathleen Tolan as Mary Ryan. She was a fishwife.

• Members

Jennifer Bransford as Carly, GH. I think that's why she was considered a "failure" in the role She looked so drastically different from TB. She was built completely different - sharper facial features, much taller, broader shoulders. Also, she had a much deeper voice. It was a huge overnight change, but she was good. And I think she would have been popular if she had been given a chance

• Members

It really depends. I can accept some recasts while I can't accept others. Sometimes if an actor is really phenomenal I can give them the benefit, but sometimes they just don't fit the role at all. I honestly think it depends on if the actor/actress can out act their predecessor.

I liked Jaime but she just wasn't Liza.

RPG as Jake was a complete miscast.

Christina Chambers was awful as Marty.

Bransford was a horrible Carly. The worst of the set easily.

• Members

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tOG09f0-Dwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While this is not in English (sigh), I remember this. Classic. From Terry Lester to Gordon Thomson. Mid episode. As I said, I think GT fit Mason physically. But wow, was this jarring.

Odder still? In the U.S. version of this, I remember it cut to commercial after the punch. We never saw Mason leave. GT debuted here walking on a pier, drinking from a flask with the requisite voice over. Odd that it was different internationally.

• Members

Fallon from Dynasty was the worst. Emma Samms looked nothing like Pamela Sue Martin (plus Emma Samms was British.) AND they completely changed Fallon's character and made her weak. Even though Emma Samms improved when they started writing Fallon more like PSM's Fallon, it still would've been easier to accept the recast with a different actress.

Archived