When Looks Matter

• Members

I thought CC should have been a Tea recast. In the late 90s, I thought she looked like a prettier version of Lozano and she was better fit to play a latina than a caucasion woman. The casting always puzzled me as I kept seeing her as Tea and thinking WTH did they do there

chambers3.jpg

It kind of reminds me of Jamie Luner on AMC who SHOULD have been a Skye recast. It too me a while to not view her as Skye bc I already had it in my mind that that is who she should have came on as. I still dont understand why they didnt do that

the characters been gone so long that I dont think changing against her looks really mattered. Most people watching today, I would say werent even watching during the premiere years when she was on so they could mold the character how they wanted considering nearly 15 or so years passed between appearances. Pam and Stephanie have both made comments about her looks so it appears she does have implants, had some work done and isnt all natural and thats not too surprising for women in the LA area, so Donna looking different makes sense. As for personality, its been over 15 years and people can change dramatically in that time. We last saw her in her late teen years so seeing her as an adult with her new life experiences which mold her was something new.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it made perfect sense as they were transitioning her to be the new Brooke, complete with giving her all of Brooke's old stories (ex. marrying Eric, becoming rivals with Stephanie, the town tramp and trouble maker, etc....) They were moving Brooke away from all that and having her become more matronly and stable and Donna was brought on to fill in the voide left by Brooke's new role on the show

• Members

Yes but that never seemed to get any big audience reaction, went away within a few years, and now Donna is totally pointless. I guess you could say she always was, but I preferred the idea of her being offcamera and sometimes visiting to being nothing more than a heap of melting plastic. The biggest reason Brooke became a popular character was she had some heart in spite of the various desperate/trashy things she did - unfortunately that's a lost art on soaps.

• Members

maybe thats why it was dropped and they didnt keep Donna like that. She's been pointless once they took all that personality out of her and tried to make she and Eric a real couple. She became very generic and boring and has been since. She worked best when she first came back as a scheming bitch

• Members

True, but again I think she could have been that without being Donna.

I think Gareis tends to rely a lot on pouting and posing, which just limits material for her. Sarah Buxton was always better at that - another reason why I'm not sure why they made Morgan so psycho so quickly.

Anyway I guess I've gone totally off topic. Never mind.

• Members

I know someone mentioned Heather Tom and Sarah Aldrich, but what about Amelia Heinle in the role. When Tom was on Y&R I remember Victoria being a dark blonde and now she is a brunette?? To me Heinle isn't as glamorous on how I envision Victoria to be with Nikki as her mother and Victor as her father.

• Members

Heather Tom's Victoria began as a brunette and went through various stages of blonde throughout the years. I think hair color is the least of the problems with Amelia Heinle as Victoria. Just two completely different acting styles, looks and basically its a new character.

Her biggest problem is that she can't act to save her life. How in the hell did she get hired to replace an Emmy winner TWICE?! She was just dreadful on both shows, especially as Marty considering the history with that role. I've always found Marty boring and never cared for most of her stories, but I can appreciate that Susan Haskell can at least act. I've seen Christina Chambers on Spyder Games which was poorly acted overall. I'm sure it didn't require much on Sunset Beach either. I'm just glad she's not on a soap anymore.

• Members

IA with this. Christina Chambers has been miscast in every role including, and since, Sunset Beach. She is very pretty with a winning smile but that is as far as it goes. Maria on SuBe was meant to be this mysterious, alluring, stunning, slightly vixenish femme fatale. CC did NOT fit that role. As Molly and Marty, she was horribly miscast (and about a decade too young for both roles).

My pics (off the top of my head):

Y&R:

Gloria. Joan Van Ark --> Judith Chapman.

Heather. Vail Bloom --> Eden Reigel.

B&B:

Donna. Carrie Mitchum --> Jennifer Gareis.

Storm. Dark-haired Ethan Wayne --> blonde Brian Patrick Clarke (although best recast was William deVry)

Bridget. California babe Agnes Bruckner --> fragile, elfin Jennifer Finnigan --> tall, dark-haired Emily Harrison --> dyed-blonde Ashley Jones.

• Members

I loved having Kimberly J. Brown appear for a few episodes! I didn't care that the role had become a more sexy, mature character who had slept with Jeffrey O'Neill (ew). To me, I loved the throwback to the 90's years by having Brown return... even if she did seem *younger* than Jonathan.

Josh Taylor as Roman was definitely jarring, even for those who didn't see his 70's-80's run as a different character. There was just NO chemistry between him and Deidre Hall the way there was with her and Wayne Northrop. It made the 1997-1998 love triangle between John/Marlena/Roman pointless.

• Members

I'm surprised AJ Quartermaine of GH wasn't mentioned. I remember thinking WTF when they went from classic and preppy Sean Kanan (yes, I'm aware that there were AJs before him, but I'm simply going by the ones that I watched) to short and wimpy Billy Warlock. Such a jarring recast and the complete rewrite of AJ going from being the troubled/misunderstood elder son to a sniveling little punching bag is one of the reasons why I stopped watching that show full time.

On a slightly lesser scale, the recasting of Taylor Roxbury-Cannon of AMC. Ingrid Rogers' angular and haughty look made it easy for me to believe her as snobby BAP character that I loved to hate (and eventually loved once she realized that that there was more to life than being a snobby BAP), but Kelli Taylor's softer look made it harder for me to distinguish her as anything other than some chick who happened to be named Taylor. The fact that they turned her into a desperate nutcase (something that Taylor 1.0 never was, in spite of her scheming) was what totally deep-sixed the character.

Archived