Nick At Nite Orders 80-Episode Telenovela with JFP and Josh Griffith

• Members

This may very well be the answer to continuing the soap genre. Daytime soaps are down to 4 and they probably won't be lasting much longer either. Daily primetime telenovelas on this network just might work! It's a teen soap they are proposing first, but I'm betting that if it's successsful, we could see new story arcs that are centered more with adult characters.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has anyone noticed JFP has been employed in daytime since 1978, this is her 34th year in the biz? This woman has always worked. From 1978 she rose through the ranks and since 1987 she has constantly been employed as executive producer. She has 25 years of her 34 years of being an executive producer and the only lapse time of unemployment she had was around August 1996 when she left AW until about April 1997 where ABC hired her as a consultant first and then she was given the job as executive producer of OLTL in December 1997. This woman is a cunning, cuthroat woman who can be the nastiest witch on earth or your best friend has lasted this long in this biz. I thought after her 11 year run at GH she was done and she gets this gig on Nickoloedoan. Anyone notice JFP always lands on her feet? She must have the best agent on the planet.

• Members

I agree, even though it'd mean I wouldn't be able to watch. I wonder who they're targeting with this...I'd want it on regular Nick in the afternoons, but it might be a tad bit too mature for that audience.

The thought of her working for a kids' network is like the witch trying to entertain Hansel and Gretel. It just grosses me out.

I LOVE you, Courtney Phelps!

• Members

LOL

It does seem like a more obvious fit for TeenNick but maybe they're trying to cross-pollinate. Also, if they're trying to attract disenfranchised soap fans of all ages, N@N is probably the better choice. Not like they can't or won't move it around. Even with the apparent teen theme, I'm sure plenty of adults watched the original novella. And as mentioned, you know Jill will round out the cast with soap names like A Martinez for the older viewers.

• Members

Nick at Nite's sitcoms are pretty stale now(I'd rather watch Hallmark or TVGN for that) so this might be a good change there. And they could always show repeats or do marathons on TeenNick. Other than JFP's involvement, I'm interested to see how it works out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2012/03/14/nick-at-nite-renames-upcoming-evening-soap-hollywood-heights-adds-7th-heaven-hunk-to-cast

Nick-at-Nite's upcoming evening soap opera has been given a new moniker. According to EW.com the U.S. adaptation of Mexican telenovela Alcanzar Una Estrella won't be called Reach For A Star; instead the sudser will be known as Hollywood Heights. Me gusto!

As previously reported, Alcanzar Una Estrella is being adapted by veteran daytime soap writer Josh Griffith. Jill Farren Phelps, also a multi-soap, daytime vet, is serving as executive producer, alongside Hisham Abed (The Hills).

One Life to Live grad Brittany Underwood has been cast in the lead role of Loren, a young woman whose life changes forever after she wins a songwriting competition, setting her on the path to fame, fortune and true love with rock star Eddie Wild.

While the pivotal role of Eddie has yet to be cast, telenovela staple and 7th Heaven alum Carlos Ponce has been secured to portray Eddie's father for the planned nightly serial. Are you excited for Hollywood Heights?

Archived