December 19-23, 2011

Toups

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, we do. There have been reports in print that ABC is giving the 3:00 p.m. hour - the time GH airs in a majority of the country - back to the affiliates this year in exchange for said affiliates to agree to air Katie Couric's new show. I read elsewhere clearance for that POS is around 80+%, so the idea must have worked.

So, even if there is no "formal" announcement anytime soon a la AMC/OLTL, GH is done. No set time slot, aired whenever by individual affiliates - or not at all if they so choose? De facto cancellation regardless.

It is not about having a defeatist attitude here. It is simply being realistic when presented with evidence to support said attitude.

• Members

They don't have time, though. These aren't the days where the Marland rules of waiting 6 months to test the waters apply... I think MarDar have used up their good will and they need to be replaced to give Days a fighting chance of renewal. Seeing ATWT and OLTL go when both still had so much life left sucked, I don't want to lose DAYS too.

• Members

This is something that I'm just never going to complain about, because it can't be helped. Bad writing CAN be helped so I will complain about that, but the new sets do indeed suck and unfortunately we are just stuck with them, that's all they can afford.

• Members

I think in some ways they are worse than Higley who at least instilled passion in viewers sure it was hate but people reacted. MarDar's writing elicits apathy. I can say for myself I don't love it or hate it its just there. Really all DOOL needs is a shot in the arm and to amp some of these stories up and to drop whats not working. Maybe using Sheri Anderson as a storyline consultant might help.

• Members

This debate has been going on for years.As one of the "pessimists" I ask those who are angered by discussion about cancellation a simple question: what evidence do you have to support an optimistic outlook? We've seen the cancellation of four shows in as many years, GH has been dropped by a number of affiliates and PP was a bust.What information is out there to encourage the belief that GH or DOOL is any safer than the last four soaps to die? It's one thing to believe in Santa Claus. It a completely different thing to get angry at other people because they don't.

• Members

I dont think its wrong for people to be optimistic but I don't see why some feel the need to lecture those for being realistic.

I am all for being optimistic but as I have limited knowledge of how it all works, what happens to GH once Katie's show comes on it Sept in their timeslot? DO the affiliates still have the ability to air it at another time. I know before PC was cancelled some of the affiliates moved it to run at 2:00 AM for example but I dont understand how that was possible or how much money was lost or gained by ABC and the affilates as a result or why ABC allowed affiliates to move it.

• Members

Back when we were discussing Chew ratings, didn't say someone say that an affiliate has the option to time shift a program if it falls below a certain rating point? I believe that's why many were allowed to drop Loving (and before it Ryan's Hope?) or aired The City, as mine did for a while, at 12:35am or something.

Archived