December 19-23, 2011

Toups

• Members

You know, it's not that I'm not aware of DAYS and GH's imminent doom, it's just that I don't need a doomsday clock to remind me of it every time I click on the forums. I'm not in denial about it, and I agree that it looks extremely bad for both shows right now. But when basically every post is "GH is gone in 2012, DAYS in 2013", it's tiring. Nothing new's being presented to me to think about. I'm not mad that people feel this is what's going to happen. I know that's what's going to happen. But I'm tepid on whether or not we need to hear the refrain day in and day out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If people don't want to read that the low rated soaps (DAYS and GH) are getting canceled, then they shouldn't check the ratings threads. What are people supposed to say when they see a 0.9 in 18-49? "Yee Haw!!!! 5 more years for sure!!!!!" No. If people don't want to read realistic discussion based on the numbers, that's fine, but they shouldn't be expecting anything less in a ratings thread. DAYS and GH are getting canceled as soon as the networks can drop them. That's reality.

• Members

I've just said that I don't expect that, nor do I believe that. *sigh*. But it's not a discussion when the only thing being said is "they're being cancelled, ratings are low".

I'm not going to beat this horse to death, but if people are going to say I'm not being realistic and that I shouldn't read this thread if I don't want to see the same post made over and over again, I sort of feel like I need to clarify since I, and others saying the same thing, are obviously being misunderstood.

Now, granted, there are some who are choosing to be optimistic (IMO, somewhat misguidedly, but they are entitled to do so), and I think that's more who you're directing this to. I understand this, and I get where you're coming from. But there comes a time when four pages of "The Official GH/DAYS Doomsday Clock" gets to be a little much. I also think that people should continue to be optimistic, because anything can happen, September is far away yet.

Now, I am not going to comment on this again. I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone. I apologize if I'm coming off confrontational. Not my intention. I just want this conversation to move along.

• Members

I'm glad OLTL is getting decent ratings despite being cancelled. I don't like all the stories on OLTL right now, but I'm still enjoying the show. I hope OLTL make soap ratings history next week with their final episode.tongue.png

I love Days despite the horrid writing.. MarDar stories are disappointing, but I will continue to support Days until the end..

• Members

IMO it didnt need any buildup. The prison breakout works better as some random event that comes unexpected rather than them taking time to build up to it over several episodes/weeks. Im glad we didnt see any of these characters leading up to it as its really helped set the tension and severity of the situation with all these random inmates showing up causing mayhem. Especially for people that dont know who to expect, it makes it that much better.

• Members

OLTL's prison breakout storyline was amazing as I got a chance to watch it earlier today. They went with the right option there b/c you can wrap up a storyline like that pretty quickly instead of some random explosion which takes several weeks to complete.

With OLTL having more ratings momentum than AMC did I think that it could get more than 3.4 million but 3.4 million isn't easy to get but its not impossible either.

• Members

People's opinions should be respected whether its positive or negative. That's why I like posting on here b/c I know not everybody is going to be on the same page when it comes to analyzing the ratings picture. I'm more of an optimistic person when it comes to soaps but I'll be a realist at times also and admit when a ratings are bad.

In my personal opinion and this is just my personal opinion I think people may have it right when it comes to GH ending in September but for some reason DAYS is sort of unpredictable. I can see NBC picking up that 2014 option what people forget is that NBC pays a cheap licensing fee to air DAYS its not the same situation as its not the same situation as it is on ABC where they actually pay for the production of the soap. NBC is just responsible for airing the show domestically. I'm not a big fan on the DAYS cancellation prediction stuff b/c it was supposed to have been cancelled years ago and its still around so I'm not going to challenge that one honestly plus DAYS always goes through a weird ratings upswing and there's likely to be another one coming up later this year with some interest coming around on a big storyline planned for later this year.

You're right affiliates can move these shows to any timeslots they want. GL aired at 9:00 AM for its last few years on my affiliate.

The Chew is under performing in a number of affiliates but its on par with AMC in many of them. The last I heard someone said their affiliate moved The Chew to an earlier timeslot like 9 or 10am back in November about a month ago. So I'm pretty sure for that reason there's a lot of pressure on The Revolution to perform well before Katie Couric comes to replace GH.

Archived