All: Soaps & Real Life Pregnancies

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Jennifer Gareis was pregnant on B&B last year, they found a creative way to deal with it. Her character, Donna just got fat! Donna had just gotten a divorce and ate to deal with it. Pam would make fun of her putting on pounds and would tease her with her lemnon bars. No need to hide the pregnancy when you acknowledge onscreen that the character is getting chunkier by the week....lol

• Members

Hunter Tylo was indeed pregnant in real life when Taylor gave birth to Thomas, I believe that was the baby who developed eye cancer after shortly after birth there in early 1998. The other daughter of the Melrose Place scandal was born in late 1996 if I recall right

GL--Crystal Chappell's pregnancy in 2003 was written into the show. Her maternity leave was explained by saying Olivia fled town after Lizzie was terrorizing her (remember that awful Crystal Hunt ripping off the baby doll's head and talking to it?) and tried to cause a miscarriage by causing Olivia to fall down the Beacon hotel lobby staircase by tearing up the carpet to cause Olivia to trip. Of course when she came back she told everyone that Emma was dead when in fact she had Emma hiding with her brother.

In fact I remember an interview Bregman gave several years ago saying that the show ended up writing the miscarriage in for Lauren as well, which of course played out in May 1990. It sounded and must have been very surreal.

• Members

Passions' Lindsay Hartley was pregnant with daughter Isabella Justice around the time her character Theresa was pregnant with Ethan's baby, Sarah, which she miscarried after a fight with Gwen. Rather than writing her off the show in 2004 as she was in a pivotal story at the time, she was replaced with Priscilla Garita (Gabi, Sunset Beach.) In an interesting move, her husband Justin (Fox) was put on paternal leave the same time as Lindsay. He was recast with Nick Stabile (also of Sunset Beach.)

I actually might be wrong about the storyline. She was pregnant with Jane (originally called Ashley) at some point but i am not sure if it was before or after the Hartley's were on maternity leave.

• Members

Also on Passions, Liza Huber (daughter of Susan Lucci) was pregnant with her first child in 2006. I believe this was during the Vendetta storyline in Rome, which simply had Gwen not featured as much and when she was, the pregnancy was covered up. Huber was pregnant with her second child around the time the show was ending on DirecTV so it wasn't written in.

Archived